riding with high beams on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahamlin01

Reaction score
I did a search to see if this topic was covered before - if so, apologies.

Riding this wknd I was being followed by a bike with its high beams on. It was blinding in my mirror, and very distracting to have behind me. My eyes kept getting drawn to the mirror instead of the road in front of me. I waited at a stop sign for the individual to catch up and stop (turned out to be another FJR, but that is not the point), and mentioned it to him, in case he didn't know they were on. The response was that he knew they were on high.

I rode away, and we went diferent directions, or I would have let him pass so as not to be followed, and blinded. I remembered then that in a group ride once there was another person who had his lights on high all the time, and it was terible to ride in front of him.

So, I am just curious. Is this something like "loud pipes save lives" - people ride with highs on for safety? Seems like it would be less safe to me if you blind on-coming traffic?

What do others think? (maybe this is one of those topics like oil and tires that should be moved to the never-ending pointless threads)

was it at night or during the day?

during the day i use high beam for the simple reason it makes it easier for people heading toward me or those about to pull out, to be able to see

I do not always ride with the high beams on at night, but often do at day. I turn off the highs at night for oncoming traffic as a courtesy

The California DMV Motorcycle manual reads:

Headlight:

"Using your high beam during the day and at night increases the chances that oncoming drivers will see you. Use your high beam it is legal and safe to do so. "

Last edited by a moderator:
I leave my high beams on in daylight as use as appropriate (no cars coming at me) at night. In 29 months of riding I've had 1 person flash their lights at me (daytime). It's a safety issue for me and is warranted.

FWIW on the magna I used to ride with the high beams all the time, not on the FJR. The FJR headlights are pretty good as is.

High beams on during daylight hours. Low beam when it's dusk/dark. If the light bothers a cager, that means he can see me. As for being an annoyance in a rear view mirror, I try to keep a good distance behind what's in front of me, and also vary my lane position according to road conditions.

Jill

I ride with my lows on, but I also have Motolights which are plenty bright

If I am not following a vehicle(day or night), I will have my brights on then dim them as oncoming traffic gets close.

If I AM following a vehicle, I will not have my brights on. I too, have been followed by cars/motorcycles with brights on...it is disturbing and distracting.

During the day I always ride with my high beams on... unless I remember & turn them to low for people riding in front of me.

I have been followed by high beams during the day & it doesn't bother me at all.

Heidi

was it at night or during the day?
during the day i use high beam for the simple reason it makes it easier for people heading toward me or those about to pull out, to be able to see
Here is why you should at least turn it OFF regardless if it is a day or night.

...It was blinding in my mirror, and very distracting to have behind me. My eyes kept getting drawn to the mirror instead of the road in front of me....
Same would apply to the rider/driver coming towards you. All he can concentrate is now is you. Hmm, where do we go when we look there...?

I used to ride with high beam on during the day but always turned them off for oncoming traffic. Riding behind another rider and having high beam is a huge nono. Same reason I really HATE, let me say it again, I REALLY HATE modulating headlight. It buys you nothing else but people getting pissed at you. BTW, did I mentioned that we all talked about it almost a year ago. And if people do not see emergency vehicles coming with sirens and lights thinking that high beam or modulating light will save you is simply foolishness. Modulating light was designed to get the rich peoples money. :rolleyes: :yahoo:

If I am not following a vehicle(day or night), I will have my brights on then dim them as oncoming traffic gets close.
If I AM following a vehicle, I will not have my brights on. I too, have been followed by cars/motorcycles with brights on...it is disturbing and distracting.
Amen! Uh...Woofers Er...Gunny!

However, during daylight commute, when I am in the "diamond lane" and not closely following another vehicle, I will turn on my auxilary lights. I've had more than one occaision where cars started to pull out and THEN noticed me and pulled back in. I think the aux. lights change the profile enough the cagers see us in their side mirrors.

The caviat is the last 2 sentences in Wheaton's quoted post. That's just common sense and courtesy.

Lows on unless I'm riding at night on a dark road.

Having high beams in my face is one of the most annoying things evAr!1!!

I almost always ride with high beams on during the day, and I actually prefer (when leading) that those behind me have them on too (or with what ever aux running lights they have such as moto-lights..._

Makes it 100x easier to see them, and count bikes behind me.

I've never had it bother me during daylight hours. At night however I have had others behind me who's ill aimed lights did bother me and if they can't adjust them they get to lead :)

Every motorcycle prior to my FJR, I would ride with the high beam on during the day for safety/visibility.

The FJR's lights are so good, I quickly found out that I could no longer do that as I was pissing off anyone I followed. So now I rarely have my high beams on during the day. Only when there is no traffic that I am following, and usually only on two lane highways.

And for another completely different type of annoyance. Make sure your lights are aimed/adjusted properly. FJR's tend to be aimed a bit too high from the factory. I have had other FJRs follow me at night with their low beams driving me absolutely nuts because they were aimed to high.

My eyes kept getting drawn to the mirror instead of the road in front of me.
I've never had that problem with high beams behind me, however I do have stock mirrors on my Gen II, and I've never turned down a 2nd piece of pie.

I do tend to ride with lows on in daylight, but I have the white HIDs too.

I leave my high beams on in daylight as use as appropriate (no cars coming at me) at night. In 29 months of riding I've had 1 person flash their lights at me (daytime). It's a safety issue for me and is warranted.
Same here for me, although I don't try to make it a PIA to other drivers, unless of course, they drive like Aholes

Hey Jim - -How's it going from a fellow 2-upper at EOM!