riding with high beams on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I'm calling the placebo effect. If the high beams make you feel safer, then you FEEL safer. Ya'll knock yourselves out and blaze those high beams.
But, I get to ride in the back of the pack.
You may very well be right, but that is not the logical conclusion that one would make after looking at the bike from head on (during the day) with the low beams on and then the high beams on. And if it weren't so "alarming", why would people be getting all pissy about the lights shining in their eyes?

I never ride with my highs on during the day except to alert the dick-head in front of me, blocking the passing lane, to move the fuck over. Then, I give him the full assault of my rapidly toggling thumb.

I have no feelings one way or the other about the issue and really don't think much about it, so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a statistically significant correlation between the members voicing disdain for daytime high beams and their use of "crash club" icons?

G,D & R

I think it was very different before Daytime Running Lights. Now even in the day time, a bike with low beams can get lost. I guess the added visibility is what prompted the auto manufacturers to start using them all day? Maybe there's some science behind that, but they've taken away our key advantage.

Oh, while I do run HI during the day, I also try to make sure that my headlights are aimed properly, so the effect isn't overdone to the point of being truely dangerous.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I'm calling the placebo effect. If the high beams make you feel safer, then you FEEL safer. Ya'll knock yourselves out and blaze those high beams.
You may very well be right, but that is not the logical conclusion that one would make after looking at the bike from head on (during the day) with the low beams on and then the high beams on. And if it weren't so "alarming", why would people be getting all pissy about the lights shining in their eyes?
But, who's to say the pissy ones wouldn't have seen you anyway? I mean, has anyone been smeared by a cage only to have the driver say: "I didn't see the low beams. If only he had been running with the annoying high beams on..."

I think it was very different before Daytime Running Lights. Now even in the day time, a bike with low beams can get lost. I guess the added visibility is what prompted the auto manufacturers to start using them all day? Maybe there's some science behind that, but they've taken away our key advantage.
Oh, while I do run HI during the day, I also try to make sure that my headlights are aimed properly, so the effect isn't overdone to the point of being truely dangerous.

That is a very valid point. To which I would add that most auto DRLs are the high beam at somewhat reduced intensity.

But, who's to say the pissy ones wouldn't have seen you anyway? I mean, has anyone been smeared by a cage only to have the driver say: "I didn't see the low beams. If only he had been running with the annoying high beams on..."

Yup. Tough to apply scientific methods to these kinds of things...

Maybe. However, most "pro" posts have said they dim their lights when riding behind another vehicle. Many "con" posts have been treated offensively by another who didn't dim their lights when following them.

Okay, I'll play the devil's advocate. Does ANYONE have any real scientific data to support or deny the high beam advocate claims? Or, is all this just one opinion vs. another?I'm just sayin'.
Scientific data like: Number of trips to the hospital? Number of time having been run off the highway? Number of near misses?

How about the test Motorcycle Consumer News did a couple of years ago where the tester rode different bikes, different gear, different color helmets. (Yeah, yeah...I'd have to go find it, but it was discussed here.) He logged the number of near misses with each combination.

In a nutshell: Different color helmets--no difference; different color gear (HiViz Roadcrafter, reflective vests, etc.)--no difference; different bikes--when riding an ex-CHP bike the cagers noticed him. A psychologists explanation was that they recognized the profile and the Police bike ws a perceived threat.

We in CA are lucky because the FJR profile in a rear view mirror "resembles" a CHP's BMW enough that it casts doubt. Above that, I once read an article concluding that auxilary lights "change the visual profile" from a single headlight (even 2 close together like the FJR) to something an unaware has to "think" about because it doesn't fit their memory profiles so they pay more attention.

WhenI used to commute in pre-rush hour traffic, i.e., 0600 in the AM and 4:00 PM, I experienced enough sudden "pull backs" that caused me to deduce that the offending cage would have pulled out in front of me but my aux. lighted bike made a difference.

I reiterate, when I'm following another vehicle in traffic, I dim my lights and turn off my aux. lights. The purpose is to be seen, not to punish or offend.

Commuters are the same everywhere, they want to get home and in their haste they just don't SEE a motorcycle. So I'll continue to practice being a visually noticed as I can while trying to be respectful of other when I'm following them. Or just wait for a motor officer and follow him.... ;) That trick ALWAYS works and I make great time, too.

YMMV

A psychologists explanation was that they recognized the profile and the Police bike ws a perceived threat.
We in CA are lucky because the FJR profile in a rear view mirror "resembles" a CHP's BMW enough that it casts doubt. Above that, I once read an article concluding that auxilary lights "change the visual profile" from a single headlight (even 2 close together like the FJR) to something an unaware has to "think" about because it doesn't fit their memory profiles so they pay more attention.
I'm thinking stuff like that has a much to do with it as anything.

Just so you know there is some applied reasoning and theory behind the practice. Not all of us are merely trying to P.O. the cagers, for fun. :rolleyes:

Just so you know there is some applied reasoning and theory behind the practice. Not all of us are merely trying to P.O. the cagers, for fun. :rolleyes:
Hey, I'm just askin' questions. While I don't run with my high beams on, I do have a pair of "be seen" lights mounted to my forks. I would really be interested in knowing the results of an actual scientific study on the matter.

Hi beams when I'm solo in the day time. Not when I'm following fellow riders. I'd rather have a cager be a little annoyed at me then not see me.

I run daytime highbeams only when I'm out in the boonies where I would suspect not may bikers or cars would be seen. Sometimes too around town but I flip them low when I'm behind someone or within 30' or so.

Night time I always give a flash before passing.

I run daytime highbeams only when I'm out in the boonies where I would suspect not may bikers or cars would be seen. Sometimes too around town but I flip them low when I'm behind someone or within 30" or so.

When I'm 30" behind a cage I already have my brakes on so hard the high beams are buried in the asphalt behind them. :rolleyes:

With the shadow, I ride with the high beams 100% during the day and a lot at night unless following someone. They are pretty weak. (1 55 watter that looks more like 40 watt)

As for the FJR I keep mine on high beam during the day if I am on not on the interstate or following someone. Otherwise low beams.

I run daytime highbeams only when I'm out in the boonies where I would suspect not may bikers or cars would be seen. Sometimes too around town but I flip them low when I'm behind someone or within 30" or so.

When I'm 30" behind a cage I already have my brakes on so hard the high beams are buried in the asphalt behind them. :rolleyes:
I'm so glad you proof read my post, thanks. I won't even correct my spelling errors next time.

I'm so glad you proof read my post, thanks. I won't even correct my spelling errors next time.

No problem-o. Glad to oblige...

Just havin some fun man. You one of those sensitive types?

No problem-o. Glad to oblige...

Just havin some fun man. You one of those sensitive types?
censtitive, no. jstu seams no mattr howl mnay tnies I re-red it, i awlways mis won arror.