riding with high beams on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was worth starting that thread just to see that picture while having my morning coffee!
Thanks everyone for all of your posts - I had no idea how much of a response there would be.

A few things struck me out of these 4 pages.

I am one of those with more sensitive eyes (due to some surgery a long time ago), that could be a factor.

The bike was an FJR, so the highs could have been even higher than other bikes (due to factory adjustment)

I better check my lights for adjustment

Interesting someone commented about judging the distance to the bike - I remember wondering how far back he was because it was very hard to tell - all I saw was the bright light in the mirror - maybe something for others to consider after reading this post - if cars have a harder time judging the distance, could be less safe?

I agree with those who use them all the time except when other vehicles are approaching or you are riding behind other vehicles (hopefully more than 30" :) ) - using them thoughtfully seems to be the best bet, and provides the left turning and other cars entering the roadway with more "light information", which hopefully allows them to see you better and NOT pull out in front of you - unless of course they can't judge the distance and still do. Interesting question there.

Thanks again for all the comments - (and for that picture)

Ride safely, high or lows

Allen
Allen, My appologies, I was the culprit following you last sunday. I had just left the "Vanilla Bean" in CT and was headed home to massachusetts up RT 169. The fact is that I was taught in my MSF course to ride during the day with my highs on for visibility purposes. I was quite a ways behind you, it took me quite a while to catch up to you at the intersection. If you noticed me, then imagine how visible I am to all the cagers out there.

Once again, I appologize, but seems my high beams did their intended job during the day.....they made me visible.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we can't seem to agree on the headlight modulators, maybe we should switch the discussion to "Deer Whistles."

I think they work good. :D :D

I just heard, the other day, that if you accidentally install them (deer whistles) backwards -- that they will 'call-in', attract, deer..... :blink: :eek:

This, "occam's razor" has me confuzzled, bounce.....care to spain it to me? :rolleyes:

Allen, My appologies, I was the culprit following you last sunday. I had just left the "Vanilla Bean" in CT and was headed home to massachusetts up RT 169. The fact is that I was taught in my MSF course to ride during the day with my highs on for visibility purposes. I was quite a ways behind you, it took me quite a while to catch up to you at the intersection. If you noticed me, then imagine how visible I am to all the cagers out there.

Once again, I appologize, but seems my high beams did their intended job during the day.....they made me visible.

Hi Jaycen,

It was not that big of a deal, and I was not really looking for an apology, but thank you, and accepted - my eyes are more sensitive than most other peoples. Important thing is, for me anyway, I learned from others on the forum about how and why they do certain things, and I am going to start using the highs unless approaching or following a vehicle - sounds like it will help a lot with the "from the side" pull outs.

I go to the Vanilla Bean fairly often... see a lot of bikes there. You sure were visible, as I assume I am now if I ride with the highs on. This thread turned into quite a lot of pages of responses - I had no idea it was a hot topic. I actually have never taken an MSF course, just been riding for 30 years (back in late seventies when I got my license I don't think a riding course was required in CT - oh boy, better not even go there or this'll become 8 more pages LOL)

Take care - ride safe. If you see an "05" up at the "VB" later this year, or next, say hello.

Allen

.................and fun was had by all. I love happy endings. Single tear rolls down my cheek.

OK, I have one more thing to contribute, and I think it's even (back) on topic... <_<

I found a web site where a guy was talking about high beam usage in the way we have been, but he had reservations for the reasons previously specified. His "solution" to being more visible was to replace his halogen headlamps with the yellow ones they seem to use in Europe. The idea being that he could run on just the low beams during the day but, because of the color difference, he would stand out on the road and not blend in with all the cages.

I have no idea how legal or illegal this is, but the idea has some possible merit. Especially since the eye is technically more sensitive to light in the yellow spectrum than white or (gasp) blue.

Perhaps the best bet would be a set of those pulsing blue lights that you sometimes see in your rearview mirror? :rolleyes:

OK, I have one more thing to contribute, and I think it's even (back) on topic... <_<
I found a web site where a guy was talking about high beam usage in the way we have been, but he had reservations for the reasons previously specified. His "solution" to being more visible was to replace his halogen headlamps with the yellow ones they seem to use in Europe. The idea being that he could run on just the low beams during the day but, because of the color difference, he would stand out on the road and not blend in with all the cages.

I have no idea how legal or illegal this is, but the idea has some possible merit. Especially since the eye is technically more sensitive to light in the yellow spectrum than white or (gasp) blue.

Perhaps the best bet would be a set of those pulsing blue lights that you sometimes see in your rearview mirror? :rolleyes:
Two points in reply to yours . . .

1. Yellow bulbs they use in France are not DOT legal for North America

2. The main problem with the low beam is that the bike simply can't be seen against oncoming traffic - it's a great reflector - there's no 'scatter', so when they're on low, oncoming traffic almost literally can;t see the lights.

My point is simply that high beams flashing (actually, if you've never seen a bike with a modulator you should watch one, the bulbs don't 'flash per-se, they kind of 'go dim and then come back at a very regular 4 FPS) makes them completely stand aout from anything else one might encounter on the road. If a cager moves into you lane in spite of that, then you need to take evasive action.

Yes, we still need to ride (and cars need to drive) defensively - but for pure VISIBILITY, nothing beats a modulated high beam.

My point is simply that high beams flashing (actually, if you've never seen a bike with a modulator you should watch one, the bulbs don't 'flash per-se, they kind of 'go dim and then come back at a very regular 4 FPS) makes them completely stand aout from anything else one might encounter on the road. If a cager moves into you lane in spite of that, then you need to take evasive action.
Yes, we still need to ride (and cars need to drive) defensively - but for pure VISIBILITY, nothing beats a modulated high beam.
You make a great case. Are you in sales by any chance?

:rolleyes:

Brights only at night when there is no oncoming traffic.

I don't need some Cager transfixxed on my head lamp crossing the center line

Had this happen to me twice when I used to ride with my high beam on about 4 yrs ago :eek:

Since I no longer ride with it on I have not had anyone cross a center line on me

Startled drivers go to where they are looking and if you startle someone coming around a twisty they

may not get you but the poor guy behind you may get a scare of his life :eek: ( my buddy did )

Later

Brights only at night when there is no oncoming traffic.
I don't need some Cager transfixxed on my head lamp crossing the center line

Had this happen to me twice when I used to ride with my high beam on about 4 yrs ago :eek:

Since I no longer ride with it on I have not had anyone cross a center line on me

Startled drivers go to where they are looking and if you startle someone coming around a twisty they

may not get you but the poor guy behind you may get a scare of his life :eek: ( my buddy did )
Assuming that these occurred during daylight hours, how did you startle them? Are you saying that the headlight startled them because it was on high beam? How? Wouldn't he be more likely to have been startled because he didn't expect to see you there? And how did you know the driver was crossing the centerline because he was "transfixed" by your headlight? Maybe he was transfixed by the magnificent beauty of your bike carving the turn?

Interesting observation, but I don't think your sampling rate of 2 amounts to being statistically significant of anything.

The sample of 2 was enough for me as I had only started doing it that year as it was sudjested to me as a SAFETY item

I could not think of anything else that was causing the cagers to do what they were doing.

It seemed as if they we tranfixxed on the bright lights and could not break away and by time they do they are headed into the other lane any scaring the rides or cagers behind me

Kind of like going to an accident and wondering why the drive ran into the power pole.

Ah let him alone :rolleyes: Dude can't even abbreviate township right.

Its Twp. for those interested.

twsp? What the shit is that dude? I know ya'll down that way think yer the shit but, come on man, get it right. Your representing the state here.

:jester: