Road side emergency

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroostook

Reaction score
Need emergency rim. CJ (de oppresso liber) took a digger and stoved the rear rim. We are in Linchburg VA and we are stuck. Can anyone help out? Thanks 978-870-4104

Any dealership advice, including near Roanoke or Lynchburg would be helpful as well.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang! I've been there, done that...I was able to use some "run flat' and get the rim to hold air to get me home (100 miles, or so).

Good luck!

Dang! I've been there, done that...I was able to use some "run flat' and get the rim to hold air to get me home (100 miles, or so).

Good luck!
Thanks Mike, we thought of that but the rim is too bad to do even that. Thanks for getting back to us.

If all else fails, look for a machine shop with a hydraulic press. May be able to straighten enough to get home and find a permanent fix.

Good luck!

For the bad news....

Once I got home I ordered a new rim (and bearings and...and...), there was NOT a rim in the continental U.S. and one had to be shipped from Japan.

I hope you can find a used rim.

Well, I didn't get on the computer all weekend, so I didn't see someone in distress in somewhat close proximity. Have you guys found any resolution? If not let me know and I will help if I can.

Its a 2008 and so far we are having the same luck Mike had...no place in the US has one and they are saying it would need to be shipped from Japan.....any other suggestions....looked at ebay and nothing. Thanks everyone.

Chris

I dont have a rim. I'm in between Lynchburg and Roanoke. Let me know if I can help in any way. My local shop does not have one either. I checked this morning.

Mike

I dont have a rim. I'm in between Lynchburg and Roanoke. Let me know if I can help in any way. My local shop does not have one either. I checked this morning.

Mike
Mike, I make this offer to you and any others, if anyone is willing to give up their rim and tire CJ will have a new rim and tire put on your own bike.....I know this is a long shot but I put the offer out anyway. Thanks for the reply.

Just talked with CJ and he has an 08. If I remember correctly he cannot use a rim from an earlier year due to changes in the ABS. Someone who knows please pipe in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. For the abs to work he must use an 08 and later rim. What I don't know is if an earlier abs wheel would work, just without the abs working.

Mike
Mike, I make this offer to you and any others, if anyone is willing to give up their rim and tire CJ will have a new rim and tire put on your own bike.....I know this is a long shot but I put the offer out anyway. Thanks for the reply.
I actually thought about this after initially reading the thread. What is the lead time on a rim? What about loaning just to get you home and then shipping it back? I might consider that.

It looks like it would be about 3 days to get a rim.....if you would be willing, CJ would send it back to you next Monday....or for that matter buy you a new one.....what do you think?? Thanks

Chris

It looks like it would be about 3 days to get a rim.....if you would be willing, CJ would send it back to you next Monday....or for that matter buy you a new one.....what do you think?? Thanks

Chris
I could do that. I will be away this weekend anyway, so I will not be riding. PM me a phone number and I will give you a call and we can work it out.

Chris
I could do that. I will be away this weekend anyway, so I will not be riding. PM me a phone number and I will give you a call and we can work it out.
Intech, from what we are reading it looks like we need an 08 or later??? Im thinking that this might not work? What are your thoughts?