Roads near Anniston AL

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flapsup

Reaction score
Any noteworthy roads in the general vicinity of Anniston, Al? Went to an Army school near there in the late 70's and vaguely remember some pretty nice roads. Was riding a Suzuki 250, two cylinder, two stroke at the time. Anybody in the area care to share their fave local roads?

Apology accepted; no biggie, JUST DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN, OK?
coolsmiley02.gif

I hate to prevaricate, but ... depends on how you define "noteworthy" and "in the general vicinity".

Twisties? There are some, but they're a little short for real adventure. Perfect for a late summer weekday evening when there's still 90 minutes of daylight, though. Look around Cheaha Mountain right outside your back door, and even further south in the Talledega National Forest. Ride up I-59 and find yourself some roads between Mentone and Trenton, Lafayette, and Summerville, GA. (Careful, some turn into dirt/gravel abruptly.)

A little farther and you're into some nice stuff just east of Chattanooga. There are also a few towards B'ham near Vandiver where the ridges are.

And, my friend, you own an FJR. It's not that far to Cherohala, the Dragon, and all those mountains.

Calm and scenic? Lots. There is A BUTTLOAD of woodland and pasture south of you: the triangle between Anniston, Sylacauga, and Columbus. The teeny roads can be a real handful at, and a little over, the speed limit. If you go all the way past Eufala and Troy, you're into serious cotton country. It can be a trip riding through there in late summer with the hills covered in snow-white cotton bolls; looks just like snow.

Find out more by attending this.

PS: Illegitimi non carborundum was my submarine's motto. SSN-682, USS Tunny, reactor operator, 1978-1972.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for scoop! Have done the Dragon and all of the surrounding area. We have four days to play with in September and we're looking to discover some new roads!

And thank you for your service! USAF retired in 1992!