Rob's bike ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I'll start with sun-up here at Desoto Caverns. We took the first tour of the day and it was only Brian and I with the guide. If you get a chance to see this it's truly amazing. The cavern is very impressive alone but the history behind it is really neat too. It's privately owned. Was once a speak-easy and is now a tourist destination.

DSCF2582.jpg

Next stop .......... Barber Motorcycle Museum WOW WOW WOW You have to go there!!!!! It's at the Barber Speedway. I took many pics of the bikes I used own and of the ones I wanted to own. We spent 3.5 hours looking at 750 bikes. WOW.

DSCF2648.jpg

I couldn't pic a favorite bike but this came close. It's a V8 850. It's bio is the next pic.

DSCF2638.jpg

DSCF2639.jpg

I would love to have ridden one of these babies in their day!

DSCF2608.jpg

This shot is for Scott in Nova Scotia. At the track today all the AMA Super Bikes were there doing secret tire tests. We were as close as we could get. What a nice noise.

DSCF2645.jpg

We are in Georgia tonight just north of Atlanta. Tomorrow the Dragon is gonna be slayed! (weather permitting)

Love the Barber museum, and that Morbidelli motor is wonderful to look at! First time I saw the sign I wondered what it meant by "controversial styling." Then I found a pic of the original color scheme:

morbidelliv84.jpg

Eww! Looks like a Darth Vader Mr. Potatohead thing.

What I find inexcusable is people (like Scab) who live in the area, less than an hour away, but haven't been. Shame!

(I just picked on Scab because he confessed to not going in a thread somewhere last fall. So he's the poster child for "someday I'll go to the museum.")

Another cool thing abouot the museum is that nothing goes on display unless it runs. They drain the fluids and do what needs to be done for long-term storage, but the bikes are restored to running order before display; no static mock-ups. Amazing what you can do if you save your milk money!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob,

Thanks for all the updates & pics. Wednesdays and Thursdays are great days for Dragon Slaying. Time to square those peg feelers off. :yahoo:

Canadian FJR

Well as luck would have it the weather is bad. High winds and heavy down pour. So we are now in the town of Blue Ridge and waiting out the storm. We will start out early tomorrow. This is how Brian feels about riding in the rain.

DSCF2580.jpg

Ha ha ha It'll take more than an ol' Blue Noser to offend me !!!! You'll never guess who I ran into at Deals Gap Scott . One of your pals .... Barrie!

DSCF2660.jpg

We left the store and went up .... then down the Dragon. Not one cop on the road. It was a little cool though, about 55f . Went slowly at first then turned it up a little. Fully loaded though I wasn't about to drag the pegs.

DSCF2662.jpg

DSCF2665.jpg

DSCF2676.jpg

When we left Deals Gap we went south east and followed this river for quite a while, we even saw Barrie again. After this we turned north as it was getting cold out. We are now snug and warm at Johnson City. Tomorrow will find us in Gate City loading the bikes up for the ride home.

DSCF2680.jpg

Thanks for taking us along.

Just checked your weather at home. 55 Degrees sounds good.

27°F Clear

Wind: NW at 16 mph

Humidity: 64%Thu

35°F | 13°FFri

28°F | 8°FSat

35°F | 10°FSun

32°F | 10°F

Just to put an end to Ol' Micheal's nasty rumors that I only have one ear I'm puttung up proof!

DSCF2693.jpg

ttthhhppppttttt!!!!!

This is the last post from the road. I will sum up the whole trip when I get home. We've had a blast having all you people along for the ride. We took almost 2 hours to go 30 miles this morning. We rode along the Crooked Road Herritage Music Trail. What a great way to finish our two wheel ride. I would like to thank my cousin Jason and his beautiful family for letting us park our truck at their house.

Later