rpm adjustment after cruise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becoyote

Reaction score
After installation of my cruise my idle seems to have increase to 13 to 14k (Edit, yes I should have said hundred instead of thousand :unsure: )

Releasing the throttle, I hear a good hearty slap so I don't think the cable has tightened up.

Should I just adjust the idle or should I look for a problem? Bike seems to be running well.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Try the idle adjustment screw. If it adjusts then fine, if it doesn't adjust then you know that somewhere in the installation of the C/C something has been altered.

Considering the limiter should kick in at about 9.5 to 10k, 13 to 14k seems a trifle high, yes. Bet it's great at the strip though, eh?

my idle seems to have increase to 13 to 14k
I'd like to buy a decimal point, if not that, then a comma would do. ;)

If the throttle tang is returning to the stop but the idle varies a LOT between just after warm up and hot running you may want to check for a vacuum leak. If your idle is high all the time when warm and there is little difference between warm and hot your problem may just be an idle screw adjustment.

Possibly the tang got tweaked during the install? In which case, the idle adjustment would solve the problem w/o further issues.

Should I just adjust the idle or should I look for a problem? Bike seems to be running well.

Thanks

[/quote]

I had that problem and found that the screw head that I used to attach the chain to the throtle was too large and hit the idle stop. Luckily I was able to get a small file to it and take that side off.

Did ya change the plugs, do a TBS, and clean the air filter while ya had it unbuttoned ???

I and WFooshee did Saturday and the idle was a trifle high till we adjusted it after getting the clamp and beads right finally...

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

After installation of my cruise my idle seems to have increase to 13 to 14k (Edit, yes I should have said hundred instead of thousand :unsure: )
Releasing the throttle, I hear a good hearty slap so I don't think the cable has tightened up.

Thanks
Without seeing a picture of your specific setup, it's kinda tough to say.. but if I were a bettin man, I'd venture to say the piece that connects the tang and the AVCC is hitting the stop the tang rests on. I know this, because I had the exact same problem. One thing you can do is gently force the throttle closed. When I did this, I could feel a click as the throttle closed completely and the connector slipped around the stop. This resulted from me drilling the hole the in the tang to low. I tried a couple of different connectors that came with the AVCC, and finally wound up using the small wire with a loop on the end. I fed the loop through the hole I drilled and then ran the other end through that loop. Then connected the free end to the AVCC. Bike idled fine after that. I was worried about the wire chaffing as it rubbed against it self. I just inspected the wire the other day, and after 2000 miles on the AVIC, no issues or signs of chaffing.