running bad (feeling blessed)...limped home (walking on air)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why did that picture make me feel a little sick to my stomach?

No, it's not the car tire on the back!

At least we are headed in the right direction!!

Last edited by a moderator:
*This is not a Ride Report Thread Hijack!*

Today, I suffered on behalf of the forum. Today, I sacrificed my entire day just for you good folks. I am still grieving over how I used my one day off this week...
upset.gif

I worked nights last night and after a very brief nap this morning, I donned my riding gear, rolled out the ST and headed over to Dad's. Dad had the FJR sitting in the driveway, ready to go. Mom gave me a bowl of strawberries she had cooked down, a container of fresh cream and set out a pan of homemade biscuits. There was, of course, bacon as well. After choking down that miserable excuse for a breakfast, Dad and I got on the bikes and set out for Graves Cycle Repair in Tylertown MS. I had plotted us a course of all back roads and most of them were entirely new to both of us. The weather was just awful. The sun was terribly bright, when we left it was 54 degrees and it slowly warmed up to 67 degrees. Disgusting really.

We found Graves Cycle Repair quite easily, took a few pics for the benefit of the forum and chatted with Aaron very briefly. I did NOT want to waste this man's time but he seemed genuinely pleased to share his progress with us. He is in awe of the fact that anyone could put as many miles on a bike as Patriot. Please know that I am VERY impressed with this young man and I am not making fun of him when I relate our conversation. I thanked him over and over for his work and what he is doing for Patriot.

This is what he had to say:
1. The new engine is great. Actually, "Y'all done good with that motor. It's tight and there ain't no leaks."
2. The rear wheel bearings are GONE on Isabella. He shook the rear wheel for me to see. He will take care of that soon.
3. "I hate to tell Mr. Mike but I'm gonna have to clean up some of this thing so we can work on it."
4. "You tell whoever made these PAIR plates he did an awesome job. These things are fine!"
5. "We are working on this one right now, we hope to get it out of here very soon.."

After thanking Aaron for his time and help, we got out of his way and headed back home. I re-routed us to take advantage of some different roads, again all back roads. After 215 fantastic miles in glorious spring weather, we arrived back at Dad's. So, I had perfect weather, got to ride with my best friend all day, took pics of Isabella, and now I am writing this for you. I really wasted a perfectly good day off...NOT!

Dad and I taking a minute to look at the map in a church parking lot near the MS/LA state line.

IMG_7018_zpsfdcac5a7.jpg

Isabella on the lift with no innards

IMG_7021_zps83d3e71e.jpg

The two motors. Can you guess which is the new one?

IMG_7019_zps40124434.jpg

A close up of the cam chain on the old motor.

IMG_7020_zps082b348a.jpg

I would like to say that I really wanted to take a pic of the Wynpro Pair Plates that were engraved especially for Isabella. These are truly fine. I did not feel it was my place to post those pics, that honor belongs to the man who built them. My compliments, Sir.

Oh, that pic that Patriot posted was from my cell phone. I felt he should know I was there before you guys did.

Great report Redfish. And thanks for the photos. No photo of Aaron?

It amazes me when I see an empty frame like that, that anyone can get it all back together again.

That is the deal, right
tonguesmiley.gif

Slardy

Great report Redfish. And thanks for the photos. No photo of Aaron?
It amazes me when I see an empty frame like that, that anyone can get it all back together again.

That is the deal, right:tonguesmiley:

Slardy
Don't listen to Howie, Slardy! Patriot has more crap on that bike than Apollo 11 had when they landed on the Moon!

If you think I'm kidding, I'M NOT!!! :))

It takes surprisingly little time to put the engine back in... if you don't forget any of the important steps like getting the u-joint in place... BTDT and only had to pull the frame off the engine twice.
fool.gif
grin.gif

And hey, Apollo 11 was only going to one place, (and back). Patriot has many places to go. He needs all that crap those strategically placed farkles.

We found Graves Cycle Repair quite easily, took a few pics for the benefit of the forum and chatted with Aaron very briefly. I did NOT want to waste this man's time but he seemed genuinely pleased to share his progress with us. He is in awe of the fact that anyone could put as many miles on a bike as Patriot. Please know that I am VERY impressed with this young man and I am not making fun of him when I relate our conversation. I thanked him over and over for his work and what he is doing for Patriot.

1. The new engine is great. Actually, "Y'all done good with that motor. It's tight and there ain't no leaks."

2. The rear wheel bearings are GONE on Isabella. He shook the rear wheel for me to see. He will take care of that soon.

3. "I hate to tell Mr. Mike but I'm gonna have to clean up some of this thing so we can work on it."

4. "You tell whoever made these PAIR plates he did an awesome job. These things are fine!"

5. "We are working on this one right now, we hope to get it out of here very soon.."

After thanking Aaron for his time and help, we got out of his way and headed back home. I re-routed us to take advantage of some different roads, again all back roads. After 215 fantastic miles in glorious spring weather, we arrived back at Dad's. So, I had perfect weather, got to ride with my best friend all day, took pics of Isabella, and now I am writing this for you. I really wasted a perfectly good day off...NOT!

I would like to say that I really wanted to take a pic of the Wynpro Pair Plates that were engraved especially for Isabella. These are truly fine. I did not feel it was my place to post those pics, that honor belongs to the man who built them. My compliments, Sir.

Oh, that pic that Patriot posted was from my cell phone. I felt he should know I was there before you guys did.
Well I guess it is up to me to post the pic's. Here ya go Mike,

100_0527_zps9e02977b.jpg

https://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u535/Winstar333/WynPro/100_0527_zps9e02977b.jpg

Built in America with pride,
blushing.gif

Well I guess it is up to me to post the pic's. Here ya go Mike,

Built in America with pride

100_0527_zps9e02977b.jpg
OUTSTANDING work on the PAIR plates!!!!
punk.gif

I agree, very nice touch on the PAIR plates. I had them on my FJR too, excellent craftmanship, but the "Isabella III' is a sweet crowning touch.
thumbsup.gif

@Someguy - You might have to cut and past the whole thing. It looks fixed now, but at first I had to copy the URL= part to get it to work.

Sorry guys I move them into a new folder. I didn't know how quick you would be. It looks like it is working now. The new forum doesn't like the link format from photo bucket.

First try,

I'm so happy to see things getting underway! Sounds like Mike will be back to rolling on the miles fairly soon. :D

Excellent work on those plates!

Sorry guys I move them into a new folder. I didn't know how quick you would be. It looks like it is working now. The new forum doesn't like the link format from photo bucket.
First try,
Don't worry 08FJR4ME, Those plates are Outstanding! Nice Craftsmanship. :)
I know good work when I see it. That's pretty much what I do. :)