Russell arrived

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

git-r-dan

one of those musician types
Reaction score
Seat arrived late Friday night and opened the box like it was my first Christmas. The largest of the two seats ended up being the rear seat with much more padding. All the measurements and pictures were taken to make sure I received the right fit. So out to the bike my wife and I go putting it on the center stand and installing the seats. They went on perfectly. We both get on and she's happy. Those two wings that stick out the sides are centering right under the middle of the thighs of each leg. Kind of thought that it should of been a lot wider. Question #1: Is that normal?

Also, the front seat is not very cushiony at all. Sure was envious wishing I had the back seat in the front. Looking from the back of the bike at both seats, the front seat is smaller than the rear seat and I know my waist size is a lot larger than the pillion's. Definately calling Russell Monday AM. Will snap some pictures this PM and post.

Question #2: How's their customer service?

Last edited by a moderator:
GRD:

When I first got my Russell neither my wife nor I thought it fit right. I called Customer service and they recommended that I give a little time to break in. We are both glad we did. After two weeks they felt better and after a month we were both very happy. I had the Russell for the Ironbutt SS1k I did last year and did not have a sore ass after 19 hours in the saddle. It doesn't feel like a Lazyboy, but it does provide all day comfort once broken in. Best seat I have ever owned in 34 years of riding.

I don't recall one seat being a different width than the other, but I am out of town as I write this and can't go look. I know there are limits to the amount of custom fiting they can do given the fact that they use the stock seat pan. You have a year to send it back, so I wouldn't rush a decision.

Seat arrived late Friday night and opened the box like it was my first Christmas. The largest of the two seats ended up being the rear seat with much more padding. All the measurements and pictures were taken to make sure I received the right fit. So out to the bike my wife and I go putting it on the center stand and installing the seats. They went on perfectly. We both get on and she's happy. Those two wings that stick out the sides are centering right under the middle of the calves of each leg. Kind of thought that it should of been a lot wider. Question #1: Is that normal?
Assuming that you meant thigh, not calf (that would be really strange), then yes, that is completely normal. The first time you sit on the seat, it feels like those wings are going to be jabbing you in the back of the legs and create a pain point. They tend to flatten out considerably after the first decent length ride and miraculously never cause any discomfort.

Also, the front seat is not very cushiony at all. Sure was envious wishing I had the back seat in the front. Looking from the back of the bike at both seats, the front seat is smaller than the rear seat and I know my waist size is a lot larger than the pillion's. Definately calling Russell Monday AM. Will snap some pictures this PM and post.
How long are your legs? The only reason I can see for the front seat being less cushiony than the back one is if added foam would put you too high to reach the ground. But cushiony isn't as important as well supported. Do get some pics.

Question #2: How's their customer service?
Excellent. They will do what it takes to get you right, but you need to also follow their suggestion and ride the bike a bit before passing judgement.

Also, the front seat is not very cushiony at all.
The only reason I can see for the front seat being less cushiony than the back one is if added foam would put you too high to reach the ground.
The rear seat will be more “cushiony” than the front, IME, if the front has the wings and the spring and the rear only has the wings.

Dan, if you want to “talk” send me a PM with a phone #.

The rear seat will be more “cushiony” than the front, IME, if the front has the wings and the spring and the rear only has the wings.
Interesting. It was my assumption that when the made a dual seat it always had their proprietary springs located under the wings. I didn't realize they would ever build up a seat without them.

Mine is a solo, so I can't compare.

IIRC, they want you to ride 500-1000 miles on the seat. I have a solo seat and at first the wings didn't feel right, but after my trip home (about 200 miles) I was beginning to appreciate the seat. After 500+ miles everything felt good. Now, some 40,000+ miles later..... :yahoo:

At first, the wings felt "weird", and their was a learning curve when putting my legs down while the bike is stopped. They are known for their willingness to work with customers, so put the requisite mileage on the seat and go from there.

I also just got my seat back from Russell and thought the same thing,too hard and weird at stops for touch down but after just a short ride yesterday (28degF) it became just a learning curve, an adjustment, but I can see that with breakin this has huge support=comfort in the long run. Now to get rid of this white stuff still on the ground.

Thanks for the replies. Changed calves to thighs, don't think I was awake yet. We'll see how it does after a few rides. That's great news about their customer service and 1 yr. guarantee.

Pics to follow soon. Going for that 1st ride.

GRD...

I saw your post so I decided, just for you, I'd go out for a ride to test things out for you. ;)

I just got my Russell seat back about a week ago. I had only gotten the chance to

ride the bike 15 miles at a time for a total of 100 miles...not nearly enough to get the

"feel" of the new seat. I just got back from a 75 mile jaunt. THIS SEAT IS A WINNER!

Originally I though exactly like you did. Any my wife ABSOLUTELY loved the rear seat

but I was a little less than thrilled about my seat for the same reason you express. The wings

felt weird on the back of my thighs. Today on the ride I forgot about the seat. That's

how good it felt. So I think if you give it a couple hundred miles you'll feel better about it.

Still not quite used to the new feeling of stopping and touching down.

OK, have made three trips on the bike at about an hour at the most each way. Also, have made these trips with the pillion. Seems that I have to keep adjusting myself back on the seat from sliding forward. I've noticed applying more pressure on the handlebars keeping myself from sliding forward which is causing arm fatigue. But that could be from the wife just getting close ... not a bad thing. Still more rides ahead before any final judgement. Sure would like to see if it really is a "Day Long" seat. Trip to Big Bend is in the planning stages.

OK, have made three trips on the bike at about an hour at the most each way. Also, have made these trips with the pillion. Seems that I have to keep adjusting myself back on the seat from sliding forward. I've noticed applying more pressure on the handlebars keeping myself from sliding forward which is causing arm fatigue. But that could be from the wife just getting close ... not a bad thing. Still more rides ahead before any final judgement. Sure would like to see if it really is a "Day Long" seat. Trip to Big Bend is in the planning stages.
Dan,

What happens if you don't try to fight it? Does it slide you all the way into the tank to point of being uncomfortable? There is some sort of a one-pager that came with my seat indicating every seat has a "pocket" or "sweet-spot". You aren't supposed to slide back onto the rear "shelf" (for lack of a better term).

Not sure how that works for you. When my butt slides forward toward the tank, that makes my body even more upright and puts less pressure on my arms.

Here is a pic of the Russell Seat and the front looks wider than the rear...
RussellSeat.jpg

And I'm almost sure the wire spring system is no longer in use in the Russell because the new foams don't need it. Hope this helped. PM. <>< :D

Here is a pic of the Russell Seat and the front looks wider than the rear...
RussellSeat.jpg

And I'm almost sure the wire spring system is no longer in use in the Russell because the new foams don't need it. Hope this helped. PM. <>< :D
PM,

Where did you get the info regarding the springs?

I had heard that it was the use of those "springs" that was patented originally by the senior Mr. Mayer (Rick and Bill's Dad) and then later sold to Russell. I think it is these springs that allow the wings on the Russell to be so firm and supportive. I don't get the impression they are "wire" though.

Anyone ever dissected a Russell (after a crash or something).

FredW, I looked at their website and it says it does have the flat metal spring system that aids in support. I stand corrected. Basically its one piece of flat-spring steel that is found in some home furniture and some auto seating to help support the seat. Its molded into the foam thus thats why you probablly can't feel it.

I just remember reading somewhere that they were no longer using the spring. Personally I think the spring is a good idea but is really not needed nor does it do that much with the new type of foams in use now. I think they use the spring to help keep the shape of the wings. I used no spring in my seat that I made and it has wings with none to very little give and I can ride all day without any problems from the seat. There is quite enough support even for the wings. The goal of a good seat maker is to make a seat that is so good you don't think about it while riding. If your seat is giving you problems your thinking about your seat because of the discomfort and your mind is not on the ride. You could call them if concerned though. PM. <>< :D

FredW, I looked at their website and it says it does have the flat metal spring system that aids in support. I stand corrected. Basically its one piece of flat-spring steel that is found in some home furniture and some auto seating to help support the seat. Its molded into the foam thus thats why you probablly can't feel it.
I just remember reading somewhere that they were no longer using the spring. Personally I think the spring is a good idea but is really not needed nor does it do that much with the new type of foams in use now. I think they use the spring to help keep the shape of the wings. I used no spring in my seat that I made and it has wings with none to very little give and I can ride all day without any problems from the seat. There is quite enough support even for the wings. The goal of a good seat maker is to make a seat that is so good you don't think about it while riding. If your seat is giving you problems your thinking about your seat because of the discomfort and your mind is not on the ride. You could call them if concerned though. PM. <>< :D

My seat is awesome. I have no complaints at all.

Now, after several rides, I've determined a few factors that are making the ride uncomfortable. "The Pocket" is located too far forward. I sent several pictures of my riding position and believe I mentioned in the questionaire that I sit back in the seat. At 6'1", the further back I sit, the less my legs are angled back. Now, when I sit "in the pocket", my croch is one inch from the tank and legs are angled back to the pegs way too much. This might be OK for a shorter rider, but for me, not OK. It seems that if they lost that ridge around the back and installed an inch more cushiony foam, it might be the solution. Also, seems to me that the seat has no spring to it. Believe the cut off for the springs installed was 220 pounds. I'm at 210 without gear and Heather (Russell) talked me out of the springs purchase. After several 100 mile rides, the seat feels hard as a rock and am not sure yet if the butt is going to ache after a day ride or not.

This reminds me of the saying about a movie production, "if they would have just spent $5 more on it, it would have been good."

It sounds like NOW you have better information for when you call them. I'd take a longish ride without your wife to make sure its the seat and not the passenger keeping you from moving back.

Sorry it wasn't an "absolute" winner out-of-the-box, but it does happen. Talk with Heather and make the arrangements to send it to them for adjustments. They have a good reputation for reshaping and modifying for your needs.

Another Russell Day-Long rider chiming-in. I've nearly 50K miles on mine -- including many 'day-longs' (what, I think?, they're designed for). I have the "overload spring".

I think , as you're finding out, the initial ordering process can be critical. There seems to be no -- 'too much information'? And, maybe I was a little lucky, too? But, I gave them all the info and pix I could.

I rode over 250 miles yesterday (just riding around) and never even considered the seat -- it's perfect, imo.

Good luck in getting it right....