Russell Seat Ride In Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kxb44

Reaction score
The time has arrived for me to make the trek from Utah to get my Russell seat made. I am leaving after work on Monday, June 11 and plan on being back on Saturday, June 16. My appointment at Russell is for 8:00 Wednesday morning. This is the planned route.

RussellSeatTrip.jpg

I'm looking for advice in a couple of areas. First on the seat. For those of you that have done a ride in appointment. Is there anything you wish you had known before you went in or anything you would do differently if you did it again? Does it speed up the process to see them the day before? Any tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Any travel tips you can give as far as places to see, good eats, good drinks etc.?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if showing up a day early would help speed up the process too much. Besides that, they may be working on someone else's seat at the time and may not be able to see you. Take your time with the seat, and tell them exactly what your looking for. During your test fittings tell them exactly what feels good and what doesn't.

The only advice I can think of for the trip is to watch your speed in Oregon. I hear speeds are low there, and they like pulling people over.

Any travel tips you can give as far as places to see, good eats, good drinks etc.?

If you are in Eureka CA, if you want some great food go over to the west a few miles to Samoa Cook Kitchen. It is a historic place that the lumberjacks of old and today use for meals. Is quite an experience. Also, ride carefully as always on US 101 there are lots of tree covered roads left or right that are sometimes blind to the rider. Also LEOs hang out there also. Traffic can be slow with lots of tourists. I have a Russell but did not go through the ride in route. It is a great saddle. You are making a good investment in rider comfort.

Looks like a fun trip for U. No need to get there the day before, just call to let them know U have left and will be there on time. Be sure to stay there all morning as U will need several sittings. Double check the angle of the seat as mine is much to far downward pushing me into the tank. You want it level or a little upward.

There is a Steakhouse in Redding that is one of the best in the world. Its on a one way street and it has the best bar and steaks. When I remember the name I will post on this site if not just ask and someone will tell U what the name is in downtown redding.

Ask for COG discount? might be too late

Ride safe!!!!

Lucky

Looks like a fun trip for U. No need to get there the day before, just call to let them know U have left and will be there on time. Be sure to stay there all morning as U will need several sittings. Double check the angle of the seat as mine is much to far downward pushing me into the tank. You want it level or a little upward.
There is a Steakhouse in Redding that is one of the best in the world. Its on a one way street and it has the best bar and steaks. When I remember the name I will post on this site if not just ask and someone will tell U what the name is in downtown redding.

Ask for COG discount? might be too late

Ride safe!!!!

Lucky
Is it Jack's Bar and Grill?

https://www.jacksgrillredding.com/

Yea, Take yer time. and let me know when you get back so we can Ride. ;) I stayed in Fort Brag the day before I ran to the Redding area at an inn that was up the top of the hill and on the right (heading east) Dark wood exterior, Nice ass rooms. I got the one with the Propane burning stove and a privat eparking lot. It was like 10 bucks more than a standard room. You will know you found it becuase there is a convienance store on the corner and you have to go around it to get to the lobby. Had an AWESOME View of the harbor and the room was HUGE and quiet

Just had one built for my Beemer in April. The hotel they recommend is kinda a dive, but ok. I went the day before, didn't do any good. Show up when they open, 0800 as I recall, they'll do the initial fitting, take a couple pictures. I lucked out, they had a spare seat for my bike, so I could go ouy and have breakfast, and do a quick run up to Shasta Dam. Went back to the shop about 11:00, they were almost done. Did another fitting, then waited around, was fininshed about 13:00. The gal at the desk is pretty helpful, gave me directions to a decent breakfast place, and a couple of great lunch places. Love the new saddle! Thinking about ones for my Road King and the FJR also!

I had to go back for an adjustment because the "sweet spot" wasn't quite right for me. The seat was actually uncomfortable on the ride home but I chalked that up to two things: 1. I had already traveled 220 miles to get there so I was already a little saddle sore and 2. I hadn't broken it in yet.

Well, ten days later I finished breaking it in on a 4,000 mile trip and it still wasn't any better than the stock seat for me. I've since had it modified (they will work with you as much as it takes "to get it perfect") and it fits better. I need to schedule another multi-day trip to be sure it is perfect.

What would I have done differently you ask?

I would have test rode the seat more before leaving. The gal at the desk was not only helpful, she was hot. Hot like salsa. Salsa muy picante. I did not want to leave the shop. Rockwells I hope we're talking about the same gal.

So be sure you test ride the new seat sufficiently. Take the bike north on I-5 for a good run and be sure the sweet spot is where it should be and the "wings" don't pinch the backs of your legs. If you need to stay an extra day to test ride and get it to fit right, do it. No sense in going home with a seat you'll have to box up and send back for an adjustment.

The folks at Russell are great to work with.

I'm planning on doing Hwy. 50 to WFO this year from CA. Heard it is better than 80 so might want to consider it as the road home. Russell seats are cool so just have fun. PM. <>< :D

Be carefull in Oregon lots of small towns like tickets. OSP nice guys but also give tickets out. They also use no marking cars and photo vans. Very windy on the coast roads but nice view.

You gotta top box?

Wanna Borrow Mine?? You are welcome to, Just take care of it. If you do we can put it on your bike tomarrow. Only takes a sec (20 Minutes)

You gotta top box?
Wanna Borrow Mine?? You are welcome to, Just take care of it. If you do we can put it on your bike tomarrow. Only takes a sec (20 Minutes)
Thanks for the offer Cdog. I've got the Gerauld's luggage rack and backrest combo which allows me to use my T-bag luggage from my former cruiser days.