Russell seats - worth the hype?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clovis

Reaction score
So after a year of talking about it, I finally bought a 2nd gen FJR two weeks ago.

I sold my old bike (a FZ6) for a few grand so we're taking the money and buying my wife her own full set of Alpinestar's leathers/boots/gloves and (probably) a Russell day long saddle.

For a dual front/rear all leather it's around $800-900 with shipping and everything. Before I pull the trigger, I'm just wondering if they're really as good as people claim.

We tried air hawks and while I liked mine, my wife didn't like hers, it kept sliding all over the place and shoved her towards me on the bike. I'll be returning hers either way and mind if I get the Russell.

I love doing 500+ mile days and we ran 550 miles 2up last Sunday. It was such a blast to have my wife along with me for the ride! Riding 2 up is the reason I got the FJR.

So is the Russell really worth the money?

Yes and if you wait and either organize or participate in the fall group buy you might be able to take 20% off that price. :yahoo:

yup.

You could wait until wintertime and try to get in on a group buy. The discounts are considerable (I've done that three times).

Or you could fork over the bucks and start enjoying your bike sooner!

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I had my russell, I kept telling myself, " It can't get any worse". Wrong. Corbin, stocker, to each his own. Save big by spending money. No money left + Russell Day long = Stamina your butt just got that you wife or partner wish you had in another depts. LOL +1 on the Russell!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I am on my third one....Its the first thing to be done ot any new bike and I wont consider any other brand...I have used corbin, sargent, Rick Mayer, Bill Mayer...etc....and nothing beats the russell...in fact to me the bill mayer was the only worthy seat in the mix besides a Russell but still wasnt on par

Damn! with all of this love, I might just have to get a Russell :p

I must truly have an iron ass because the Yammie Comfort Gel does fine for me on 1000 mile days. Butt (get the pun?), I've had others tell me it was too hard for them. Oh well, I guess that's what makes life interesting, not everyone's ass is the same. :D

My thought is if you don't have a problem with the stock seat .... sure keep it. But if it you do, and you are looking at an aftermarket seat.... Russell is the way to go.

Well I guess that settles it! On my FZ6 the stock seat with a sheep skin was enough to be comfortable for 500-700 mile days. With an air hawk and the stock I'm comfortable as well but my wife isn't.

I just spoke with Russell and currently they're scheduling builds for mid-Septmeber and it's a 2 week turn time on that. So I wouldn't get the seats back until around October 1.

She told me that by November they can usually do them in a week. So I'm thinking that I'll wait for a group buy and just use my air hawk for the time being.

Any plans in the work for a group buy?? :)