Russell seats - worth the hype?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any plans in the work for a group buy?? :)

Sounds like we have a new group buy organizer!! Nice!! :thumbsup:

Way to go Clovis! Good show, man!

It's almost like these group buys organize themselves! :clapping:

...and contrary to rumour, they are no work at all, and nobody ever complains or gets impatient! In fact, people will likely be erecting statues in your honour when this is all said and done. :D

What have I just signed up for?? LOL

I called Russell and spoke with Kim. At this time there is not a plan for offer a group buy however they won't make that decession until the first part of November.

Last edited by a moderator:
So after a year of talking about it, I finally bought a 2nd gen FJR two weeks ago.

I sold my old bike (a FZ6) for a few grand so we're taking the money and buying my wife her own full set of Alpinestar's leathers/boots/gloves and (probably) a Russell day long saddle.

For a dual front/rear all leather it's around $800-900 with shipping and everything. Before I pull the trigger, I'm just wondering if they're really as good as people claim.

We tried air hawks and while I liked mine, my wife didn't like hers, it kept sliding all over the place and shoved her towards me on the bike. I'll be returning hers either way and mind if I get the Russell.

I love doing 500+ mile days and we ran 550 miles 2up last Sunday. It was such a blast to have my wife along with me for the ride! Riding 2 up is the reason I got the FJR.

So is the Russell really worth the money?
Absolutely. I ride 2 up about 95% of the time. We have done many 800+ mile days and the Russell seat lives up to it's name. Take good pictures when you do submit them for your new seats.

When I got my Russell seat six years ago, I had the passenger east done as well with the hope that wifey would eventually take long trips with me.

I just took a weeklong trip with wifey in the summer heat...and she never complained about the seat at all after a day's ride. In fact she boasted to other 2-uppers that we would meet while filling up at a gas station, that it was comfortable all day.

Worth the money to have comfort on long bike trips.

Absolutely. I ride 2 up about 95% of the time. We have done many 800+ mile days and the Russell seat lives up to it's name. Take good pictures when you do submit them for your new seats.
^ ^ ^ Def. And if you have any thoughts about where you'd like to be sitting (like close to the tank vs far away) try to both articulate that in the notes and show that in the pictures. I had to send my first seat back for a re-work because I didn't, and wanted to be back away from the tank (cause I'm tall in the torso). It only cost me shipping one way, but it would have been nicer if it was right the first time. FWIW, I didn't need any mulligans on seats 2 and 3

^ ^ ^ Def. And if you have any thoughts about where you'd like to be sitting (like close to the tank vs far away) try to both articulate that in the notes and show that in the pictures. I had to send my first seat back for a re-work because I didn't, and wanted to be back away from the tank (cause I'm tall in the torso). It only cost me shipping one way, but it would have been nicer if it was right the first time. FWIW, I didn't need any mulligans on seats 2 and 3

I also took pictures of the wife sitting in her normal position without me on the bike. With me by myself and with us both on the bike. They nailed it the first time.

I paid $500 for my Rick Mayer last March, both seats in leather. IMHO, the equal of the Russell. Everyone has his own definition of what's comfortable for their own butt, so take their advice with that in mind. :)

Group Buy! Group Buy! Group Buy! Group Buy! Group Buy!... :clapping:
This is the second post I've seen like this in the past several days. A reminder about the policy on group buys on this forum with special emphasis added:

Special "group buys" and self-directed buys take considerable amount of time and effort to set up and are done by members that want to give back to the FJR community. If you are considering a group buy it is your responsibility to read all information about the terms including websites linked to the group buy BEFORE you commit to one.

If you can't say anything nice, or want to second-guess the organizer...don't say anything at all. Non-supportive or distracting posters will have the privilege permanently removed. You will not copy any content from this thread area to any other place on the forum, elsewhere, or share information with others. Group Buys started in this area are exclusively for FJRForum.com members in good standing. However, a link is acceptable.

MODERATION: Unlike regular sub-forums on FJRForum.com, the Group Buy forum is subject to unilateral moderation. Posts that have no real Group Buy-specific content may be edited/removed at any time. The reason is two-fold: is helps keep the discussion focus on Group Buy itself, and helps keep GB threads from growing into 20 pages of disjointed crap.

If you're considering organizing a Group Buy strongly consider talking to a previous organizer for advice on organizing a successful one. They're not necessarily for the faint-of-heart, forum newbies, and should be well planned before posting. If you need to assess viability of a possible GB or pre-announce an impending GB...please use the Parts and Accessories area.

If you're expecting somebody to do a Group Buy....just wait patiently. Don't post threads asking when or if somebody else is going to organize one. If it's that important...YOU should do one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely worth it! I've got about 40k on mine doing mostly long distance riding.

My wife and I just finished a 4 day long distance rally 2-up where she rode over 3800 miles total with me. She rode her farthest/longest day ever on day 4 which was 22 hours 40 mins and 1407 miles. That comfort level wasn't there for either of us before the Russell.

Also, I organized the Russell group buy in 2010. It isn't hard. Good on you for being willing to give it a go!

My wife and I just finished a 4 day long distance rally 2-up where she rode over 3800 miles total with me. She rode her farthest/longest day ever on day 4 which was 22 hours 40 mins and 1407 miles.
I'm so freeqn jealous! I can't get my g/f to wanna do anything much over a 100 mile ride!

I think I have found the biggest flaw with the Russel seat. You can't get one when your ass is telling you that you need one! No open "ride-in" service until late Oct, and mail order was also in that time frame.

Something happened (getting old) over the last year to my ass. Last year I could do 300 miles a day for several days on the stock seat with a little discomfort toward the end but no real pain. This year, it only takes a single day of 300 miles for me to want to take a week off from riding :dribble:

I'm not convinced that the world of Russell seats is all Rainbows and Unicorns (yet). I've had mine for a few months and about 1800 miles now and my ass is still "negotiating" a comfortable spot with the seat. I can usually shift around and find a non-irritating spot, but my butt doesn't naturally slide into it. I know I can send the seat back to Russell (and I probably will) for them to fix it, but I'm not willing to give up riding for a few weeks during the oh-so-short season in Vermont so I'll just live with it until the frost hits. I have to admit, it has gotten better over time. After the first few hundred miles, I hated it and was ready to go back to the stock seat. Now, it's gotten to the point that it's better than stock, but it's still not quite what I expected it to be.

Ed.

Getting ready to send my seat off in a couple weeks for my late August build date. I'm getting anxious. I sure hope we like it.

Getting ready to send my seat off in a couple weeks for my late August build date. I'm getting anxious. I sure hope we like it.
Anxious here too. My build date is August 16th so I should have them in time for CFO in September.