Russell seats - worth the hype?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then so far we only got 4-5ish?

Group buy pre headcount...

KJ (top_speed1) is in!

Last edited by a moderator:
Then so far we only got 4-5ish?

Group buy pre headcount...

KJ (top_speed1) is in!
Based on the past few years, I've noticed there is absolutely no problem reaching the 50+ minimum quantity that is generally required for maximum discount. I've also seen a single group buy span multiple forums...for instance, I think last year, one of the gold wing forums was the primary organizer/initiator.

I dont plan on doing my Russel seat till around Feb. That way I wont be missing any riding time. That is probably gonna be the same time I do the suspension upgrade. Guess I wont know how to act then!!!

I dont plan on doing my Russel seat till around Feb. That way I wont be missing any riding time. That is probably gonna be the same time I do the suspension upgrade. Guess I wont know how to act then!!!
FYI, the way Russell works is you put in your order, and they'll give you a build date at some point in the future (and it's up to you to make sure your seat is there before that date), depending on their current workload. As you can imagine, a lot of people want their seats done in the winter, so if you want a Feb build date, you probably want to put in your order around Nov or Dec...conveniently, that's about the same time that they start accepting group buys if one were to consider organizing one.

Just came back from a 5000+ mile tour on a Russell seat and it wasn't my rear that was tired out by the end of the trip. On the stock seat my longest trip was about 1500 miles and my a** was killing me for the last 500. I consider the Russell (or maybe some other aftermarket seat) and a cruise control (have some tendonitis in my wrists - opening here for snarky comments) as the two mandatory farkles for long range touring.

Ayup, consider me another likely candidate to jump on the Russel seat GB bandwagon.

It's been nearly two weeks since my weeklong trip came to an end, and my arse is still in pain.

I might have to look into one. i have been riding long trips most of my adult adn teen life, never had anything but a stock seat. 800 miles is what I consider to be a decent day of pounding interstate when i really have to get somewhere. Never really had an issue with stockers, but I may have to look into one of these.

Count me in. I picked up a Gen II in Feb after the Gen I hit 118,000 miles so it was too late to jump on last years buy. After over 7000 miles on the stock seat I am definitely up for a replacement. Would prefer the Nov - Feb time frame for turning in the seat for the change over.

PS I have Corbin Canyon Dual Sport and Givi rack from the Gen I if someone is looking to buy one. Send a PM, prefer to exchange locally (North East) and not get into long distance shipping.

Martin

I have a Russell and love it, but would like a riders backrest. Can I get in on the group by for just a backrest?

I got my seat less than a week before a 3K trip from Alabama to New Mexico. Did a 1K Iron Butt day 1 and could not have been more happy with the seat.

I want one...tried a friends bike with one and I have to say after 45 years on bikes, all types of seats I have never sat on one that felt that good. Problem is I don't want to wait to Dec/Jan to do mine.

Gary

I have a Russell and love it, but would like a riders backrest. Can I get in on the group by for just a backrest?
My experience from when I ran the group buy 2 years ago was that the group buy only applies to new seat builds. They did not allow any modifications, recovering or add-ons to existing seats.

So, if nothing's changed since then, I think they'll say no on the backrest.

I have kept the bike pretty much stock, and I hate to spend a grand just before Christmas ... but my hind-end is justifying the means here ... count me in.