Rust In Gas Tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-DADDY

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Long story short...I have a '81 Moto Guzzi gas tank just recently drained. Gas smelled OK, but on a close inspection, I see

a fine rust colored film has developed in the tank. :angry2: I want to store the tank for a later project. It will be stored

in an unheated garage.

A few questions: 1. What would ya's recommend rinsing/flushing the tank out with to eliminate the rust film?

2. What could I rinse/coat tank with to eliminate additional rust during storage?

3. Leave tank open with gas cap and petcocks off or cap/petcocks on and tank wrapped as in a

garbage bag?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how bad your situation is but this is what I did. Took an old Yamaha Seca tank to the radiator shop and they sealed the inside for around $50.00. It should prevent further damage. Good Luck-Tate

Do a google search for "rust coating for gas tank" and you will see several options.

Here is one of them.

I used a product that was two step several years ago and never had any more problems after that.

Same deal on my '89 FJ 1200-about 8 years ago I noticed a film of rust in the tank.I used the Kreem system on it and to date there is no rust or any kind of problem with the tank liner itself..

I too had good success cleaning and sealing the tank on my CBX with POR-15.
+69 POR15 is the best on the market-Kreem is best used for coffee. Those in the resto biz know what works, POR is on the list, Kreem ain't, at least not anymore.

Same deal on my '89 FJ 1200-about 8 years ago I noticed a film of rust in the tank.I used the Kreem system on it and to date there is no rust or any kind of problem with the tank liner itself..
You're lucky, most Kreem jobs fail quickly, though most don't prep correctly.

You can apply whatever gas tank sealer is recommended these years and the tank should be trouble free pretty much indefinitely. At least that's been my experience.

Walked into the garage one morning to find that the gas tank on my 1982 Honda had drained all over the engine overnight - apparently the metal of the tank had rusted through at a low spot where water had been able to accumulate. Not the most welcome of sights, especially as the bike was less than two years old at the time. I ultimately found several holes where the tank had rusted through - some as large as 2 or 3 mm!

Disassembled and cleaned the tank, thoroughly etched the inside with MEK, taped over the holes the rust had left, and used the Kreem system to seal it. Zero tank problems in the 22 years before I finally sold the bike.

Rad's right in that proper prep is the key, and there are likely much improved products now than what I used.

Regarding the slight rust in the tank, and considering the tank will be stored for some time (couple years?)

A friend suggested I rinse out the tank with a 50/50 solution of muriatic acid, rinse w/clean water, dry, then

dump in a qt of motor oil, slosh around, then seal it up.

Sounds like this procedure may have merit...Any of yas tried this type of storage routine?

Thanks,

JC