Rx riding sunglasses...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scab

I got nothin' here...
Reaction score
I just checked with Wally-world today. Got a quote on some Rx sunglasses for riding. Fit is excellent, lenses are polarized, safety, got the foamy stuff to keep the wind out of the eyes....$136 - single vision.

Good or bad?

I just checked with Wally-world today. Got a quote on some Rx sunglasses for riding. Fit is excellent, lenses are polarized, safety, got the foamy stuff to keep the wind out of the eyes....$136 - single vision.
Good or bad?
I don't use my rx polarized sunglasses on the bike anymore. The road looks funny through them, ie oily/wet and I get a rainbow effect through the windscreen and visor.

Polarized are great on the water and let you see right through the surface

boat.JPG

Sounds like a good price. My Wiley-X SG-1's were at least double that price.

+1 on avoiding polarized riding lenses.

Next time you get new glasses look for some that come with the clip-on sunglasses. I got mine at Dr. Bizers with my regular glasses...well actually got 2 sets of sun glasses...one for the bike and one set for the car. They came with their own little case and they are polarized too.

Fjrtn

'Preciate the heads up about the polarized. As for the clip-ons for my regulars, well I have some of those but they just ain't cuttin' the mustard. They let too much air in around my eyes and irritate.

No pic and I can't find it on their website. On the quote they gave me, it is frame #73110977851

Well nix this all to hell. I went to place the order and carried my helmet (which I should have done to start with) and the damnable things fit like crapola with the headgear on. And so does every other style they had with exception of 2 that were more than double in price just for the frames. :angry: AND...they only offer polarized, unless you choose a frame that will accomodate a standard lense that they can then add tint and UV protection. Of course, this is the long way around the block and priced accordingly.

The search continues. Remember to take your helmet with you.

Wal Mart is the devil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of Rx Maui Jim's, they are polorized and they have the reflective coating on the outside and inside of the lens said to help reduce such annoyances, but they were pricy about 500 dollar bills. Yea, I know that's outragous $ for sunglasses of any kind, but I got these because of headaches I get due to riding in and out of shadows and these frames had to be custom shaped to wrap around and help with peripheral flashing of light coming in from the outer edges of the frames.............................this all stems back to long days behind windshield trying to make a buck in the company car......many years ago now, that job is gone but the affects unfortunately remained.

I also will confirm the concerns raised earlier about the negative polorized effects, however, they have not as yet posed me any significant concerns, like a trained rat in a maze you learn to distinguish between what's real and what's not, but there is a learning curve to overcome. There is a wierding associated w/the curvature of the face shield when using polorized lens, but not much if any in the front/forward view through the shield, so long as the shield is optically correct. The polorized lens is a must for me not only to keep the headaches away, but also the added benefit of being able to see through sharp shaddow contrasts where objects or road hazards may lurk. They do pose some problems with the color red. Weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself, if you don't want the polorized lens, I would still give some significant consideration to getting the reflective coating both inside and outside the lens.

Good or bad?
That sounds pretty good.

You might take a look at this place: SportRX.com

I got a pair of sunglasses from them a couple of years ago...they have good prices and a great selection.

I sell alot of the Panoptx Rx sunglasses to motorcyclist but they are usually the non-helmeted type. Oakley also makes some very good prescripion sunglasses as well. none of these are what you would call cheap though. Ray-Ban's are very good as well. Alot of the difference between the high dollar sunglasses and the cheaper ones has to do with the coatings to reduce abberations.

Glenn

A die hard polarized sunglass wearer here & won't buy a pair of sunglasses for on or off the bike that aren't polarized. As Donalb says... you will probably need to get used to them... but polarized glasses ROCK! The pros far overweigh the cons in my book. On top of the superior glare protection & the high contrast they provide, when the sun is directly in your face you can still see. Not so w/ sunglasses of the regular sort.

Try here

I've used them 3 times-- fast, inexpensive, just need your prescription.

also try here (never used them, but good selection/prices)

Well nix this all to hell. I went to place the order and carried my helmet (which I should have done to start with) and the damnable things fit like crapola with the headgear on. And so does every other style they had with exception of 2 that were more than double in price just for the frames. :angry: AND...they only offer polarized, unless you choose a frame that will accomodate a standard lense that they can then add tint and UV protection. Of course, this is the long way around the block and priced accordingly.
The search continues. Remember to take your helmet with you.

Wal Mart is the devil.
I got my Bolle sports prescription sunglasses from Walmart, with the yellow Iridium flame lenses, and anti glare film. Cost $200 and they have fit into every helmet I have, from Shoei to Bieffe

They have been with me constantly for about 2 years and are still in fairly good condition.

Skippy

I sell alot of the Panoptx Rx sunglasses to motorcyclist but they are usually the non-helmeted type. Oakley also makes some very good prescripion sunglasses as well. none of these are what you would call cheap though. Ray-Ban's are very good as well. Alot of the difference between the high dollar sunglasses and the cheaper ones has to do with the coatings to reduce abberations.
Glenn
Got Ray-Ban frames, I don't remember the model number, but it says daddy-o on the inside of the frame, plastic frame but not rigid, sort of pliable. They wrap around and I don't have a problem with wind coming in around the frame even without the foam, they fit very well under all my helmets. Caberg flip, HJC flip, and Arai.

Yeah the Rayban Daddy-O's come in models 2015, or 2016, polarized or non-polarized. We normally sell the non-polarized for 150 and the polarized for 180. If you are wanting a pair, guys on the board can have them for 50 off the normal price.

Glenn

A hell of an offer Glen :) I have had the hardest time finding good Rx sunglasses that actually fit under a helmet.

My last pair was from Sears and I had to cut the arms short and then straighten them -- a PIA