Sad news . . . the death of B.B. (Blues Boy) King.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw him about 5 years ago in the original Grand Ole Opry in downtown Nashville.

He came out in a tuxedo, had some of his family sitting on stage, introduced his band (about 15 players, also in tuxedos), and proceeded to play, chat with the audience, chat with family, and tell jokes for a good 2 hours. It was a riotous good time until he had to get helped into a wheelchair to leave the stage.

My fave is BB and U2 singing "When Love Comes to Town", although the Clapton duet mentioned above by Niehart runs a close second.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was fortunate in getting to see him twice and the shows were fantastic. There will never be another like him. Next time you see somebody like Buddy Guy is playing nearby you better go see him odds are it might be your last chance.

Always loved B.B. King. First time I saw him live was in Memphis, where I grew up. Somewhere around 1976, I went with some friends to see him at Club Paradise, a bowling alley converted into a night club.

After getting frisked by two giant moonlighting deputies,we went in and found out we were the only palefaces in the joint.

I was kind of nervous until a little old lady came over and insisted that I get up and dance with her.

Best time I had ever had; We didn't have to pay for a drink (or green leafy substance) all night.

Last concert I went to with my wife was B.B. King and Kenny Wayne Shepherd in Portland, OR around 2000. Another great show.

R.I.P. B.B. King

I been going thru the you tube vids for a while now, some great gems in there.

I saw BB a few times, even had the pleasure of meeting him briefly once. My favorite show was in the 90s at Camps De Brionne winery, some of you might recognize it as "The Gorge" now. Second favorite was in Portland at the Waterfront Blues festival. In my opinion, he was the classiest musician on stage. His showmanship will never be topped.

As a teenager, I recall figuring out where all the great rock and roll - especially the British variety - came from: American blues. The blues has been relevant for 100 years and will still be 100 years from now. It's roots are in field songs slaves would sing. Someone once asked me why blues was all about feeling bad. I said I thought you play and sing the blues to feel better, maybe to feel good. Mr. King had a unique style on Lucille that was copied by many. Peter Green and Jimmy Vaughn come immediately to mind. BB was a spare player who could say more with one note than most could say with 100. Not technically brilliant or even flashy with his instrument, he had real taste and feeling. And no one could hold a candle to that voice. A class act. BB is gone but the thrill is not.

I saw B.B. at the waterfront series of concerts on the Seattle waterfront, right on the pier about 6 years ago. I'd never seen him live and was expecting to be entertained by someone way past their prime, reminding me of how great the legend once was. Boy, was I wrong! At 80+, B.B. still had "it". He had that whole pier full of people on their feet. He may have been slowed down physically but musically the man was a tiger. Stalking that perfect note, that gravelly mournful edge to his voice. Instead of just listening to the man I felt like I was, indeed, Ridin' with the King. You and Lucille rest easy, Mr. King. Your legend will live on for future generations.

Latest posts