Saddle Sore To Atlanta

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yowser

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been wanting to do the SS1000 since I bought the FJR last year. The time has finally come 5/22. I plan basically a up and back trip from Palmetto Florida to Atlanta (Bass Pro Shop) that should get me about 1006 mi. My SO has delayed the trip until now because she insisted on coming along and I was waiting to order a Russel (but decided to take the trip without one). We have spent 9 hours or so straight (few stops) on the Deals Gap trip in origional FJR trim. I have purchased passenger peg extenders and heat shields and two Alaska Sheepskin seat covers. I have attempted to read as much as possible in this forum and look forward to getting the ride started and testing our abilities. I will give an update when we complete it.

P.S. any advice for her from the other passengers would be greatly appreciated.

Yowser, If you plan to document the ride and turn it into the IBA you might want to add a few more miles to the route. Only 6 miles over 1000 is cutting it close. Make sure you get plenty of rest the day before. Good luck with your trip, if your interested I can PM you my cell number in case you have any troubles up this way.

JW

Yowser, If you plan to document the ride and turn it into the IBA you might want to add a few more miles to the route. Only 6 miles over 1000 is cutting it close. Make sure you get plenty of rest the day before. Good luck with your trip, if your interested I can PM you my cell number in case you have any troubles up this way.
JW
+1 when they verified my ride there was a 50 mile diff between what I turned in and what they have me listed for. (Don't get lost and have to make a 25 mile u turn = 50 round trip)

What does the IBA use to verify mileage? Do they use mapquest, that is where I got the mileage, it is like 508 each way, I was wrong in my first post. I will be adding miles because I have to backtrack south to get my start/finish time at the local gas station, that should add 4-6 miles, should come out about 1022 or so.

The seat covers came today, super fast service from Alaska Leather. Two days counting Sat. for shipping.

I'd still add a few more miles to the trip. Never travel less than 1100 miles for a documented Saddle Sore. It would be unfortunate to do one and then send it in then wait, wait some more and have it denied because you were 10 miles short by THEIR calculations. Also, make the spouse as comfortable as possible, warm, cool, breaks, what ever it takes. If she's happy you're happy. I can't seem to get my wife off the back of mine now. Should you need assistance along the way, I'm in Jacksonville, FL. PM me and I'll give you the cell number should you need it. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Jwilly, how is the traffic up there, say between Valdosta and Atlanta, I hear it is bad with construction. I was thinking about changing the route and heading out I-10 to Ala.

Jwilly, how is the traffic up there, say between Valdosta and Atlanta, I hear it is bad with construction. I was thinking about changing the route and heading out I-10 to Ala.
I think between Atlanta and Valdosta you would be fine. They're doing a bunch of construction on I75/I85 right downtown Atlanta that I would avoid. You can check out: Georgia Traffic Site

Also, Have you signed up for the FJR assistance directory? I would recommend it so if you have any troubles while your traveling.

FJR Assistance Directory

JW

Just did the Tallahassee to Atlanta trip this past weekend. There is construction (not real long) in the Tiften (sp) area of I-75.

PM me if you need any help while passing through.

Hello All, I have been wanting to do the SS1000 since I bought the FJR last year. The time has finally come 5/22. I plan basically a up and back trip from Palmetto Florida to Atlanta (Bass Pro Shop) that should get me about 1006 mi. My SO has delayed the trip until now because she insisted on coming along and I was waiting to order a Russel (but decided to take the trip without one). We have spent 9 hours or so straight (few stops) on the Deals Gap trip in origional FJR trim. I have purchased passenger peg extenders and heat shields and two Alaska Sheepskin seat covers. I have attempted to read as much as possible in this forum and look forward to getting the ride started and testing our abilities. I will give an update when we complete it.

P.S. any advice for her from the other passengers would be greatly appreciated.
other than having a back rest or top case no......have fun you'll both have a hoot!!!!

I agree with the others warning you about cutting the mileage too close. However, if the route is basically a "no-brainer" straight-forward route and there are no obvious shortcuts that would impact that 1,006 total figure, I would say it is okay. However, even if there is a shorter route, be certain to get some sort of documentation that verifies you did indeed take the longer route (ex: a gas receipt at a location well within that longer route).

Still, I would play it safe and add some miles ... with, of course, the proper documentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to the Motorcycle Tour Forum for specifics/documentation requirement for the ride. You do want to add between 50-75 miles over the 1000 and bring something waterproof to put your receipts and log.

Go to the Motorcycle Tour Forum for specifics/documentation requirement for the ride. You do want to add between 50-75 miles over the 1000 and bring something waterproof to put your receipts and log.
rockmurph, you sell your feejer yet? Been riding with SR lately? You know smitty bought a feejer right? He wore his BMW out.

rockmurph, you sell your feejer yet? Been riding with SR lately? You know smitty bought a feejer right? He wore his BMW out.
Apparently the beemer was a piece of crap. He had problems from the get go and even the extended warranty did help all that much due to the down time. No I did not sell it. I'll be hanging on to it for a while. Don't see anything out there any better. Nothing with SR. They seem to be deep into the track thing right now.

So somehow the SO didn't understand that the SS1000 to Atl. would be pretty much non stop with the exception of food and piss breaks. Soooooo, we will be doing the SS1000 and the BB1500 with a stop over somewhere around Jackson Mississippi. Anyone live around there or know the area well enough for hotel recs just off I-20? I want to make sure it is a safe area to stop.

So the new trip should take us from home to Atl.-Birmingham, Al-Jackson, MS-New Orleans, LA-Ocala, Fl or so. That way she gets to sleep for 5 hours or so.

Many have said that metric (Japanese) bike odo's approach 10% error. IIRC the IBC even talks about this. Search on Speedohealer or speedometer error and you can verify this. Have a good ride. I must say, I might be a little envious.

Ok, so the ride is complete!!!! We changed our ride to Palmetto-Lake City Fl-Jacksonville Fl-Emporia Va-Back to Jacksonville Fl-Lake City Fl-Palmetto. We dod the SS1000 and the BB1500. SS comes in at 1013 with about 15 minutes to spare and the BB comes in at 1616 in 35 hours. I had fun, Melinda not so much, her knees get stiff back there. The Bill Mayer is broken in now, and Gaurald's rack/backrest is very nice. Now to put the Iron Butt stuff together and send it in to see if they will certify it, there should be no problems.

Thanks to all who offered help and advice it is greatly appreciated.

I guess the next step is to fine a mini rally to do. I think I can handle a 24 hour one.

Oh, in preperation for this I read Against The Wind, Ron Ayers account of the Big rally, I have a new respect for all who compete in that, I think I could do a couple days but not 11, at least now.

Still no certification, check is cashed though. Mr. Kneebone says he will take care of it, hopefully soon.........I don't really understand, it passed the preliminary stages when the check was cashed two months ago. Shouldn't it be finished by now?

Shouldn't it be finished by now?
I'd say yes. I did a SS1K in May. My first. It was certified and I had my

pin/sticker/cert in less than a month. They had pretty much caught up

I thought. Yours must have gotten accidiently shuffled under a pile

somewhere.

Good luck getting it resolved.

It has been extreemly frustrating to say the least. But I want the cert. and I plan on doing more.....