• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

saddlebag retainter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drjfjr

Reaction score
My left saddle bag strap that keeps the bag from hitting the exhaust manifold has retracted into the retractor. If someone has a left saddlebag that they are scrapping and would sell the retractor let me know.

Thanks.

DRJFJR

Last edited by a moderator:
using a small drift punch, drive the pin back out. Sew the cord back together and loop it in correctly,wind the spring up and drive the pin back in and peen over. Its simple, just ask Dobias, he's the one that fixed mine.

Am I missing something? WTF is a left saddle bag retractor? I guess if I don't know what one is I don't have one to offer. :dntknw:

Am I missing something? WTF is a left saddle bag retractor? I guess if I don't know what one is I don't have one to offer. :dntknw:

I do believe it is the little string inside the saddlebag that when opened only lets the saddlebag come down 3/4 of the way. When you lift the bag back up it coils back inside. I assume w/o it, the bag would hit the muffler(not the manifold). I think thats what they are talking about.

Eric

A new one isn't that expensive from University Motors (IIRC around $15). AND, yes, they do sell just the retractor/retainer separately.

Thanks for reminding me, I've been meaning to get a new one for 2 years! I have learned to catch the bag lid with my leg when opening it and forgot about looking for a new part.

using a small drift punch, drive the pin back out. Sew the cord back together and loop it in correctly,wind the spring up and drive the pin back in and peen over. Its simple, just ask Dobias, he's the one that fixed mine.
Thanks. I was trying to pry the peened over rivet end open enough the drive it through. Just driving it through works eh? I will give it a try.