Saddlebag Screws

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ice_station_zebra

Reaction score
It only took 12 years and 1,000 warnings, but I finally found the time to check the screws on my saddlebag locks. Its true! they were all loose and one had backed out a 1/4". Loctite is your friend.

i-khQt5QM-M.jpg

I blue locktighted mine way, way back and it took 9 or 10 yrs but eventually the locktight succumbed to the greater forces.  If it's been a while since yours where done, you should consider checking them.  Doesn't take but a minute.

Oh no, blue loctite or red locktite, another never ending thread. LOL

BUT there are several Red Loctites and several blue Loctites. 

There is a purple AND a green type Locktie too, any takers. 

AND Threebond AND Permatex make different style threadlockers too, using different colors.  Wheeee!

{I knew this sitting and home for 24 hours a day wasn't going to end well for me. OK I will leave the forum}

Just saw this reminder this last weekend and put Loctite on the screws. I had totally forgotten about this little fix. Thanks for the repost about it.

GP

Good idea. 

One screw on my right pannier came loose on one side somewhere up in Idaho, a long way from home.  The latch stayed aboard, so I could still latch the pannier, but I couldn't lock it.  I lucked into a hardware store in McCall with a vast inventory of little screws, and they had just what I needed to make the repair: same threads, pitch and length. Only problem was that it had a Phillips head.  But it worked.  It's still in there, all lock-tighted and everything.  WBill

On my trip to NB/PEI/NS last summer, I pulled into my hotel in Moncton, NB after traveling three days and 2000 miles from my home in Florida. Checked in, started to take my wife's clothes out of the left bag...and both screws were missing. Took the bag inside, figured out what size screw I needed, walked to the closest place (in the rain, in my Aerostich jacket) that sold stuff like that (Canadian Tire??), got two phillips screws and a short screwdriver, and viola...time for Tim Horton's.

And I still haven't put loctite on them. I just kind of like to live dangerously, I guess.

And what size are they then? Bugger, one is missing in my 2017! Perfect in the 2001 though! Go and figure!

Lost a screw today, a long way from home. Actually they both came out. Luckily one screw and the latch were still laying there when I noticed it at a gas stop. 

A search of this little towns hardware stores and local Yamaha dealer had nothing for me.

M3x8 you say? Good to know.

At least the dealer had the stupid security torx bit so I could tighten the one screw so I could get home tomorrow. 

Already called my local dealer and they are replacing the whole mech as they don't sell the screws.

Glad I saw this thread. Now I know the issue isn't an isolated one. Will be getting some loctite asap.

Lost a screw today, a long way from home. Actually they both came out. Luckily one screw and the latch were still laying there when I noticed it at a gas stop. 

A search of this little towns hardware stores and local Yamaha dealer had nothing for me.

M3x8 you say? Good to know.

At least the dealer had the stupid security torx bit so I could tighten the one screw so I could get home tomorrow. 

Already called my local dealer and they are replacing the whole mech as they don't sell the screws.

Glad I saw this thread. Now I know the issue isn't an isolated one. Will be getting some loctite asap.
It is the supplying dealer's responsibility to loctite the screws, clearly set out in the fitting instructions included with the side cases. 
I've put the instructions here if you want to peruse them.