Santa's bringing me a new FJR!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Stark

Reaction score
I know it says I am Carl but really I am Jonnie, his wife, who is too lazy to register!

I sold my FatBoy (don't worry Carl is still home) and have a 2009 FJR coming to Wyoming next week or so. I don't see me doing any LD riding but, it is not uncommon for me to do 500-800 miles a day. I will be retiring in 1.5 years and hope to be on the road more than at home.

For accessories, I know that I want additional lights, gps, satelite radio, J&M CB (I had it on my Harley) I added 1" to my riding boots and hope that my feet touch the ground otherwise I will be lowering it as I am inseam challenged. How are the seats on the FJR for long days in the saddle? I have experience with Russells since I have one on my KLR and an old GS.

I have a background of parking lot tip overs, I blame it on my short legs. So I am a little concerned about damaging the new shiny bike. It will be coming with sliders, any other suggestions/recommendations to prevent body damage?

Hoping for a warm front to come in so I can get a little ride in when the bike arrives! :yahoo:

Jonnie

You probably allready know this but the seat is adjustable and can be raised or lowered by about 7/8 of an inch. There are also lowering links for the rear wheel that can be purchased and installed.

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum.

Dave

I know it says I am Carl but really I am Jonnie, his wife, who is too lazy to register!I sold my FatBoy (don't worry Carl is still home) and have a 2009 FJR coming to Wyoming next week or so. I don't see me doing any LD riding but, it is not uncommon for me to do 500-800 miles a day. I will be retiring in 1.5 years and hope to be on the road more than at home.

For accessories, I know that I want additional lights, gps, satelite radio, J&M CB (I had it on my Harley) I added 1" to my riding boots and hope that my feet touch the ground otherwise I will be lowering it as I am inseam challenged. How are the seats on the FJR for long days in the saddle? I have experience with Russells since I have one on my KLR and an old GS.

I have a background of parking lot tip overs, I blame it on my short legs. So I am a little concerned about damaging the new shiny bike. It will be coming with sliders, any other suggestions/recommendations to prevent body damage?

Hoping for a warm front to come in so I can get a little ride in when the bike arrives! :yahoo:

Jonnie
This is funny. I saw this and thought "what the hell is Jonnie doing on here? Is she getting me a new FJR sense I wrecked my '05?"

My name is Carl and my wifes name is Jonnie, spelled like you. ^ too good to be true :( Congrats on a new bike anyway!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ride Like a Pro DVD is a big help in this dept..

Regards

Scooper

Congrats Jonnie!!!

I'm height challenged as well with a 29" inseam. I had mine drop on me 1 time when I hesitated pulling out of a parking space during the second week of riding this beast. Since then I've added the Russell seat which makes you sit a little higher but I wanted the comfort and my wife also likes it much better as a passenger. I pulled the smaller rubber feet off the bottom of the seat as well as using the lowest setting and I just remember to park in a easy place to pull thru or out. Haven't dropped it since. I just can't back it out of a parking space like my other bike so If I need to I back it out before I climb on. So far we have been fine. I also always ride 2up so this helps as well. I've heard it's better to have the rear shock made shorter when it wears out so I may do this once it's ready for replacement. With the Russell seat I also slide forward a bit when I know I need to stop for any reason so I can reach the ground better. Just be careful when riding with a tank bag as well. I almost lost it at a gas station because the bag got in the way a little while turning. For the most part when I stop I only place 1 foot down and the other is on the rear brake. I wish you the best and hope you like it.

Congrats. You will be wondering why you didn't do this sooner.

Think what you are in need of is what the STUNNAH's call a FREESTYLE CAGE. You will have to google the site but once upon a time there was someone stirring up a group buy for these things. Only problem with them is they shrink your clearance on the bottom and sides but if you lower you have the same problem. These cages protect your platics and hardparts a lot better than the sliders. Like I said, mostly used by STUNNAH's so they aren't the most attractive things in the world.

Enjoy the feej.

Thanks all,

Any suggestions on added lights. We always say we won't ride after dark but we always do, so I might as well be prepared.

and to the other Carl and Jonnie> We had an orange tabby for over 20 years! Too much!

I know it says I am Carl but really I am Jonnie, his wife, who is too lazy to register!
I told my Jonnie about this and she reminded me that everytime we meet up with the Seattle area crew, they always ask her when she is gonna register.

And we have 2 tabbies, and an aussie dog.

As for this forum, glad you are here. The people here are of the best I have ridden with and enjoy the company of. When I got in my accident, Jonnie and I got such overwhelming support from those we know well, and others we never met. There are a few threads about my ordeal around.

Again, glad you are here and we hope to ride with everyone on here again, as soon as the insurense stuff gets done and we get another bike. It is killing me not being able to ride my beautiful bike.

Carl

Congrats on your new toy! I have a Sargent seat on mine and find it very comfortable. It came with a Corbin which I personally found to be as hard as stone.

Carl, Jonnie from Sheridan, WY, congrats on the new bike. Too damned cold to ride now but I can tell you it is a hoot to ride hard up Shell Canyon. Too bad they're ruining the road from Ranchester up to Burgess Junction.

The Corbin seat will sit you lower than the stock seat and is more comfee.....although, not as comfee as tne Russell which sits you higher and more foreward than the original. I have both.

The Corbin always makes me feel like I am on a cruzer....im a good way. B)

For pure long distance riding comfort, it's the Russel.

I like my Sargeant with Airhawk Air Pad just fine and like the fact it's easy to get my feet down quickly without big seat "wings" getting in the way.

a farkles list here: https://www.fjrtech.com/farkles.cfm

there's lots of threads about suggested farkles

google is your friend: google search "??????? site:fjrforum.com"

Enjoy the new FJR!..You can remove the seat spacer alltogether and lower the seat 1/2 inch more than in it's lowest position with the spacer in place.

Congratulations, and welcome.

The stock seat is OK for a few riders but most go with an aftermarket seat for longer rides. I have a Bill Meyer saddle which suits me very nicely thank you. I wanted the custom saddle to lower to the bike (26" inseam) but was told that I could either have lower, or long distance comfort, with that particular seat. I went with the latter.

Kouba links have lowered my bike by 3/4" and I have thick soled boots too.

You're going to love this bike for those long ride days.