Sargent Seat With Backrest Option

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthRider

Reaction score
After having done a 1000 mile run with the stock seat, I think I'm ready for a seat replacement. My Question is I have the Yamaha top plate installed on the FJR stock rack and I'm wondering if I get the Sargent seat with the passenger backrest, will the rear OEM top plate interfere with it?

Also from a passenger point of view how do they like the confort of the sargent seat/ backrest combo?

I'm almost flat foot presently on the stock seat, does the height change with the sargent seat?

Is there a promotion going on for board members? I remember 3 months ago there was one (introductory offer !)

How much better is this seat compared to Corbin?

Simple mind, too many questions :)

I don't know about the interference issue you ask about. I have the Sargent seat but I use a backrest that is part of a carrying rack I got from Garauld. The standard Sargent seat rides VERY SLIGHTLY higher than the stocker, mostly at the front as you get closer to the tank. Sargent can, and does, make custom modifications so you should discuss with them issues about seat height. Speak with a gentleman named Rudy about these issues. I find this seat to be extremely comfortable, and this is after putting over 6,000 miles on it. The quality of this seat is above reproach and their warranty program is first-rate. The two features I appreciate most about the seat, contributing greatly to the overall comfort, are:

1. The whole seat, both sections, has been leveled out so you don't get the "pushed forward" effect the stocker gives you.

2. You have a MUCH greater seating area as you move back from the tank, which gives you many more options in changing pressure points as the day goes on.

Though pricey, I consider this the best money I have spent in personalizing my FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider the grippier seat material option. I find that if I wear Draggin jeans or my Aerostich Roadcrafter, I risk smashing into the tank on hard stops (a bit too painfully). :bigeyes:

I think the grippier seat material might be a good choice for some.

No problems sliding around if I wear my leathers, though.

P.S. I bought the optional seat back. It slip fits through the seat into a bracket mounted to a frame cross member under the tail and is held in by a couple of spring loaded ball bearings that push into dimples ground into the support.

It seams to be fairly substantial, but is not fully supported like a Corbin (sort of a stiff foam overlapping a smaller steel backer plate). It's reasonably supportive providing you don't pull it upwards. No wheelies with the wife aboard!!!!

It can be stolen off of a parked bike easily though, just yank upwards. :erm:

If your buying a seargent seat, do yourself a big favor and call gary at university motors 701-235-6478. you will $$$$ be glad you did. and yes the seat is extra nice and offers a little extra room to move around on.
Just did that !

Thanks for the tip :D

Did you get the sargent? HOw do you like it??? Can I ask the cost?? Can't decide between the corbin and the sargent????
No, I only ordered it on aug 1. The price difference between the Corbin and Sargent from Gary is very close. Give him a call and see. I had a corbin on my previous bike CBR XX and found that the corbin is more suitable for cruisers than for sportier bikes. Furthermore the built quality with Sargent is superior. The Corbin seat is heavy. :rolleyes: