Sat for a long time, have her starting but she doesn't keep running.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tby

Reaction score
I've got an '07 AE that has been sitting for a couple years. I've put in fresh plugs and fresh gas and she starts under WOT but will not continue to run if I let go of the throttle. I used a throttle lock to keep her going around 1K RPM for 15 minutes or so last night and when I went back to the garage the display said 32 and the orange light and engine symbol were on.

What should I be fiddling with next?

I've got an '07 AE that has been sitting for a couple years. I've put in fresh plugs and fresh gas and she starts under WOT but will not continue to run if I let go of the throttle. I used a throttle lock to keep her going around 1K RPM for 15 minutes or so last night and when I went back to the garage the display said 32 and the orange light and engine symbol were on.

Try seafoam and/or injector cleaner? I assume it was running rough at 1K RPM? Make sure you haven't had a rodent infestation. Either nesting in your airbox or critical wires chewed.

Try seafoam and/or injector cleaner? I assume it was running rough at 1K RPM? Make sure you haven't had a rodent infestation. Either nesting in your airbox or critical wires chewed.
Put in seafoam with the fresh gas. I haven't pulled the whole air system apart but I did get in there enough to spray starter at the filter, no infestations that I could see. Seemed to be running well enough with the throttle locked. Video clip from when I first got it started (cold).

Dittos to above, here is the Code List:
35447_10151064255802688_2118601916_n.jpg

What can I do to troubleshoot these things? It wouldn't surprise me if the exhaust O2 sensor has been damaged by unburnt gas from all of my previous attempts at getting the bike going again, but I wouldn't think that would cause the bike to stop running. What can I do to check fuel pressure and the injectors? What are the odds that this code has nothing to do with the failure to keep running?

I agree with Ross, you probably have a clogged air filter or intake due to rodents. Did you check the entire intake, up to and including the filter?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Ross, you probably have a clogged air filter or intake due to rodents. Did you check the entire intake, up to and including the filter?
Just as far as I could get without pulling the shift actuator. Is there a trick for getting it out of the way without ruining the boots? EDIT: Should I even care about ruining the boots?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as far as I could get without pulling the shift actuator. Is there a trick for getting it out of the way without ruining the boots? EDIT: Should I even care about ruining the boots?
Hmm... if you've gone that far, that's probably not your problem. A rodent likely would have nested inside the filter.

I mainly pointed to that possibility because I've had it happen to me before (on a different vehicle), but if you didn't find anything in the air filter or box, that's likely not your problemo.

Sorry... I guess I'm useless on this one!

Does it have a power commander attached? If so you may try removing it to see if that fixes it.

I used a throttle lock to keep her going around 1K RPM...
Maybe I'm missing something... FJR should be idling at 1,000-1,100 RPM. Is it running like crap and therefore does not idle requiring a lot of throttle twist, or are you just bumpig up the idle a bit to get it to idle? If the former is the case, bump up the idle using the idle adjust knob.

If you can get it idle, you can ride it a bit and that itself may take care of minor gumming of the fuel system.

Pretty sure that's where I locked it, I'll do it again when I get home tonight to be sure. Adjusting the knob sounds simple enough.

So cold, it fired right up and idled around 1,250 (indicated). When it warmed up and dropped the idle, it stalled and then threw the 32 code when I tried starting it back up.

Can I get at the idle screw without taking the right cowling off? I've got the tank raised, T-bar out, etc... Looking at the service manual I'm not too sure exactly where that screw is.

I've got a solid idle now and ran for > 10 minutes without throwing a code. YAY!

Idle pr0n.

Still needs fork seals and a bunch of maintenance but progress is great :)

I've got a solid idle now and ran for > 10 minutes without throwing a code. YAY!

Idle pr0n.

Still needs fork seals and a bunch of maintenance but progress is great :)
Keep up the good work, as you know it will be worth the effort and you get all of the best advice for free.
And we'll toss in some bad advice free of charge too! :D

Glad to hear it is running better. The knob is easily accessible w/o removing plastic. Search for "idle adjust" "idle knob" on the forum if you still need to adjust it and can't find the knob.