saturday the 16th of october

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice grammar and punctuation there Bill........ :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

R
Was there puncuation? I'll have to reread it, I must have missed it. :p
Bill - You have to do a proper ride report under the RR topics. Post all those kumbaya pix of the group etc. Others can then post there stuff. I know someone has pix of Larry's scoot buried in a tree down the embankment. Good thing the bike hit a post and that huge shrub was there, otherwise that bike would have cart wheeled to the bottom and left quite a trail of debris. Great post ride report on the ride starting thread.

I think I know the response to this one but...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! What a day. Wet roads in the Santa Monica Mountains can be a bear.

I can only imagine what Las Flores, Tuna Canyon, et al were like in the rain.

Happy to hear that everyone is okay even if all the machinery isn't.

I should be distraught and bummed out but I'm not. I've had such an incredibly great time on that bike.....it's always been a thrill every time I fired it up.

WW's FJR

HBLARRY
Amen, Larry.

:clapping: :clapping:

I feel ya, brother!

All the best.
+1, Gunny! This is BeemerDonS, posting from Joe's FJR Forum account at his and Cec's beautiful mountain cabin outside of Reserve, New Mexico.

So very glad to hear that you are OK, Larry! Very sad to hear about all of the damned calamities that befell the SoCal group yesterday on the ride.

Donna and I hit fifty miles of rain through the Apache Indian reservation, avoiding horses and elk on the road, but nothing like your misadventures!

Larry: All of the Very Best and I Sincerely Hope All Works Out Well For You, Don Stanley

I didnt see it posted, what road did all the calamities happen on? was it Latigo or? Hey, its extra wet/misty/slick/foggy out today...who wants to hit Malibu?? Bad humor?

Glad to hear you're ok Larry!

I missed the get-off. By the time I got back to the scene all looked well, until I noticed one bike was missing!

Near the end of the ride, I was held up by traffic crossing PCH. By the time I caught back up, everyone was pulled over and one FJR was billowing blue smoke out of her pipes. Dead giveaway that it had tipped over. Did that once myself on an older bike. Turning around on a grade and all of a sudden there's no place to put the down hill foot!

As for the rest you guys, it was good to be out on a ride. I for one enjoyed the conditions. It's good to have some experience in the wet/moist and low visibility conditions while close to home. Gives me a better idea of where to draw the line when I'm out on a long run!

I kept going up Los Flores Canyon and the fog was thicker on top than when we went through earlier. I kept it nice and easy and got home in one piece!

Look forward to a chance to try it all again!

I didnt see it posted, what road did all the calamities happen on? was it Latigo or? Hey, its extra wet/misty/slick/foggy out today...who wants to hit Malibu?? Bad humor?
Las Flores, both on the down hill side. :p

Hey Guys,

Thanks to all for the help today and I really do appreciate it a lot. Feel great, no bodily malfunctions, just a severely dulled silver FJR to fix or replace and a bruised ego.

We followed the tow truck driver back to the storage facility to check it out...Thanks Richard for the tip, it was up right and looked funky but I could have taped the windshield down and probably rode it home. Broken pegs, mirrors broken, motor ran fine, lots of scratched plastic..... just not a pretty picture. Decided to pick it up Monday and have a bit of a closer look.

What a calamity of weirdness today: The weather, the gas spill, my crash, Bill's whatever that was, phones didn't work, I didn't get my fish and chips, a Toyota did a complete 360 in front of us on the 405 going home. Yikes....get me home in one piece.

I just wanted to add this;

I thank God every day for all the 10's of thousands of miles of flawless performance and absolutely great fun I've had on that motorcycle. Rider error...maybe, probably... I would never blame my FJR buddy.

WW's FJR

HBLARRY
HBLarry.......glad you're ok......I have to say the weird calm and mist made me uneasy even on the trip into Hollywood, just a strange day to be riding.....on the bright side, whether its a plane or cycle...any landing you can walk away from was a good one.......

LG

LG

I should be distraught and bummed out but I'm not. I've had such an incredibly great time on that bike.....it's always been a thrill every time I fired it up.

WW's FJR

HBLARRY
Amen, Larry.

:clapping: :clapping:

I feel ya, brother!

All the best.
+1, Gunny! This is BeemerDonS, posting from Joe's FJR Forum account at his and Cec's beautiful mountain cabin outside of Reserve, New Mexico.

So very glad to hear that you are OK, Larry! Very sad to hear about all of the damned calamities that befell the SoCal group yesterday on the ride.

Donna and I hit fifty miles of rain through the Apache Indian reservation, avoiding horses and elk on the road, but nothing like your misadventures!

Larry: All of the Very Best and I Sincerely Hope All Works Out Well For You, Don Stanley
Thanks Joe,

I feel fine. My wrists are a little sore from the grip I had on the bike. I stayed with it until the very end when I had to just let it go. I'm daam impressed with the way my riding pants and jacket held up to the slide. Thanks Alpinestars and First Gear. I'm pretty sure I got a chance to get off a little blip of the throttle before saying goodbye. Better taking the low-side slide route.

WW'sFJR

HBLARRY

Glad to hear you're ok Larry!

I missed the get-off. By the time I got back to the scene all looked well, until I noticed one bike was missing!

Near the end of the ride, I was held up by traffic crossing PCH. By the time I caught back up, everyone was pulled over and one FJR was billowing blue smoke out of her pipes. Dead giveaway that it had tipped over. Did that once myself on an older bike. Turning around on a grade and all of a sudden there's no place to put the down hill foot!

As for the rest you guys, it was good to be out on a ride. I for one enjoyed the conditions. It's good to have some experience in the wet/moist and low visibility conditions while close to home. Gives me a better idea of where to draw the line when I'm out on a long run!

I kept going up Los Flores Canyon and the fog was thicker on top than when we went through earlier. I kept it nice and easy and got home in one piece!

Look forward to a chance to try it all again!
redtail,

That must have been dj bill's bike that was doing the smokin' from the u-turn spill. Sorry to hear about that...Bill

Hey the road was way OK to me.....no regrets, no worries on that account, I was having a great time.

WW's FJR

Glad your ok larry.y am i jacked up and your not....lol

Glad your ok larry.y am i jacked up and your not....lol
dj bill,

Thanks for the kind words.....I'm fine. So you messed up your knee too? That really stinks.....hope it's not anything serious. Ya gotta hate the slo-mo dump......been there a couple of times myself.

This was my first "real rolling" street crash.....it was exciting while it lasted, which wasn't very long. Trying to recall the experience.....it's like a football cheer: Stand up, sit down, fight, fight, fight.

Yea, wrists a little sore from trying to hold back the gnarly beast.

WW's FJR

Wow - I take a couple of days off checking the forum then come back to see TWO friends down. Sorry to hear it guys, but glad it wasn't the terrible news it might have been. Bikes can be repaired and it sounds as though you'll both be a bit sore but back on two wheels in no time.

And, just for the record, I've now had two consecutive weekends of off roading WITHOUT falling off. That's big news for me, especially with the mods that Brad (Uberkul) made to my suspension.

ride report round 2

we kept on the route hoping for better weather but on last road down to pch where the fish and chip heaven simon was jonesing for was located mr larry who was right behind me had his mishap.i came into a tight downhill sharp right,eased thru,happened to look in my mirror and saw a man in black sliding across the road,i thought what the fk was that for a instant but realized the dealio.called richard on the bike to bike and told him we had a crash and come back up,he of course isnt afraid of rainy roads so was alittle ahead.dont know how he went down but someone will post pics.my battery was dead on the video.

went to lunch,we all decided to go back up the road to see if larry was loaded up,here came the tow truck passing us just before the crash site,we all flipped bitches,heres where i had my episode,turned left to u turn,it was to downhill to the left,past the point of no return and laid down my fjr,tossed me off down the semi steep slope and i rolled acouple of times.from what i hear simon and a few others also had o shit moments.picked her up,very minor damage,mirror,small scratch on bag.i myself fked up my knee somehow,hyperextended whatever.probably worse off than larry and he crashed.so heres your fkn ride report.have a nice day fkn day.

malibu2010005.jpg
djbill,

Went back to pick her up this morning to Newberry Springs. I'm surprised it wasn't in Bakersfield for the drive out there. I got off fair to painless as could be expected

for the location and circumstances. Here's a pic or two of the ride back home.

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

Probably will start to pull the plastics tomorrow and give it a real good looking over

before I make any hard decisions. Need both footpegs and both mirrors......a given there.

WW'sFJR

HBLARRY

Wow - I take a couple of days off checking the forum then come back to see TWO friends down. Sorry to hear it guys, but glad it wasn't the terrible news it might have been. Bikes can be repaired and it sounds as though you'll both be a bit sore but back on two wheels in no time.

And, just for the record, I've now had two consecutive weekends of off roading WITHOUT falling off. That's big news for me, especially with the mods that Brad (Uberkul) made to my suspension.
Jill,

Stay on those pegs and be careful OK......This would have been normal operating procedure for me and the XR650R. God help me........I love good power slide.

WW'sFJR

Those picture look pretty good. I'm thinking that it would be a fairly easy fix.
Jill,

Lots of paint work......I should be able to do that myself......the rest is simple. Paint match will be interesting but I think those guys over at Auto Color in Westminster can match it right up. Need to find a good deal on those foot pegs and mirrors first, Beach Yamaha......is such a fully suggested retail plus store. His prices are insulting.

WW's FJR

Those picture look pretty good. I'm thinking that it would be a fairly easy fix.
Jill,

Lots of paint work......I should be able to do that myself......the rest is simple. Paint match will be interesting but I think those guys over at Auto Color in Westminster can match it right up. Need to find a good deal on the foot pegs and mirrors first, Beach Yamaha......is a full suggested retail plus store. His prices are insulting.

WW's FJR
Thanks but my name is Steve.

As far as the footpegs are concerned you may want to try Rancho Cyle Salvage in Rancho Cordova, Ca. 800 494 2925