Savannah, GA Area Help Needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
I'm eyeing a particular monument in Savannah, more specifically in Emmet Park, as a potential Tour of Honor site. I cannot tell how close vehicles can get to the monument from any stock photos. I'd really like to get some idea before I go down and back from north Georgia. PM me for further if you can help by doing a drive-by, or have other Savannah or nearby information that you believe should be considered for TOH inclusion for the state of Georgia.

You probably already know that Bay st. runs alongside it, and there's parking there, but there's also an access road for the back side of the waterside businesses, so you can get pretty close in a couple of ways.

Google Street View is your friend when looking for stuff like that. (Google Earth view (satellite) is less useful because of all of the trees.) I just did a quick virtual tour around the perimeter of the park, courtesy of GSV.

I do that initially. But when there's an all day round trip involved, I like to look for a local point of reference too. Good point though.

I assume you're checking on the Vietnam Veteran's memorial. Street View panorama link.

(Discussion based on Street View images from 2014 and 2016.) Looks like there's continuous sidewalk up to the fencing, but the nearest ped ramp is at Houston Street. If you're OK riding a block on the sidewalk (some of us do it routinely) that might work. There's also a one-way alley running along the back side of Emmett Park (Street View link) across from Houston Street that may also work. The Street View vehicle didn't run through there, so no telling what access you'd have.

You could also PM griff; I'll bet he's already nabbed it.

Note that River Street is at least 20 feet lower than Bay Street. That bluff is what enticed Savannah's original settlers to set up shop: access to the river, but protection from flooding. You can "drive" down the Broad Street cut in Street View, heading to River Street, if you start in the link above. The ancient staircase is transcendent at night, especially after a few drinks in a River Street tavern and a visit to the Waving Girl sculpture.

Rode down early. Used the fire/1st responder monument on Oglethorpe. Got back mid afternoon. With extra tire.

Last edited by a moderator: