Schuberth vs Arai vs Nolan ......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I searched before posting this - really, I did ! :)

I'm going to be purchasing my new helmet in late Feb- The last helmet I bought was a Bell Star (remember those?) in 1973.

So - here I am, 33 years later, and I'm amazed at the technology available in helmets.

I like the fact that the Schuberth has the internal sunscreen - this would save me having to change between my regular glasses and sunglasses - however, there are other ways to deal with this.

My only requirements (other than the obvious safety ratings) is that my new helmet:

1. FITS PROPERLY. This I won't know till I stuff my melon into them.

2. Has a flip-front design.

3. Relatively quiet.

The cost factor trails way behind these first three. (Never thought I'd be able to say that - but I'm old now. )

Can you long-term helmet using gurus out there give me your observations and/or opinions? What type do you wear and why?

Thanks, Y'all !

1st off Arai does not make a "flip-front design".Arai claims they cannot be made safe enough.That being said you are on the right track with your requirements.

Fit is the most important.Lots of people put style and cost at the top of their list.

Just do some Google searches and you'll find a lot of reviews.But don't buy without sticking your head in whatever ends up being your choice.FYI I've used a lot of Shoei helmets thru the years and have the right sized noggin' for the correct fit.Shoei's hold up very well,though I replace them every 2-3 years.(50,000-60,000 miles) <Just my $.02>

I'd go with Shoei as well based on the way they fit my head. Heads vary so the best bet is go try one on. The lighter helmets seem to cost more and there are advantages to a light weight helmet on long rides.

I'm a fan of the flip-up helmet myself. I've had Nolans, KBCs, and now have a Schuberth C2. Overall, I'm pleased with the C2. It is a little heavier than many of it's competitors, but not so much so that I find it to be a problem. I also don't find the C2 to be as quiet as their marketing would have you expect......not really an issue with me, however, as I wear ear plugs all the time. It is an extremely well-made helmet with many nice features. The flip-down sun shade is my favorite appointment but I also really appreciate the lower flap that snugs up under the chin when you drop the top...helps keep out cold air. I think the ventilation is excellent....important because the helmet pretty well seals you in otherwise. Visability outward is outstanding...the best I've experienced from any full face helmet. All-in-all, it is a first-rate product. It is VERY important to try a Schuberth on before you buy it ( good advice about any helmet ) because they tend to run slightly smaller per sizing compared to other makes and they tend also to favor those head shapes that are thinner from top to bottom, as opposed to the rounder full-faced head shape.

my wife had the schuberth and got rid of it for the nolan and she says it is much quieter. i use the hjc cymax and find it very comfy but not as quiet as my arai. i think when mcn did a test they liked the nolan for the way it latched but thought the hjc was more comfy.

I've never owned a flip myself, but if you like the built in visor, also check out the www.caberg-helm.com line.

I saw them at a BMW store this summer and it actually fit quite well. I have a shoei head BTW.

I like the fact that the Schuberth has the internal sunscreen -  this would save me having to change between my regular glasses and sunglasses -  however,  there are other ways to deal with this. 
My only requirements (other than the obvious safety ratings) is that my new helmet:

1.  FITS PROPERLY.  This I won't know till I stuff my melon into them.

2.  Has a flip-front design.

3.  Relatively quiet.

The cost factor trails way behind these first three.  (Never thought I'd be able to say that - but I'm old now. )

Can you long-term helmet using gurus out there give me your observations and/or opinions?  What type do you wear and why? 

Thanks,  Y'all !
Hey kaitsdad,

Helmet shopping is fun and a little frustrating at the same time. Some have all the features, but the fit just isn't exactly right, while others fit sooooo nice, but lack some of the niceties.

Having owned two flip-fronts, I would endorse them for all of the convenience they offer, but I would not make any claim with regard to their protection vs. any other design or brand.

The Nolan worked fine for several years, and then I began to find the shape to be intolerable. My forehead would be in pain when on the road for more than a day due to the direct pressure from the front of the helmet. Maybe my head changed shape? :bigeyes:

I have now switched to the HJC Sy-max, and really love the fit, however, the visor will not "lock" open like the Nolan did, and it doesn't have the fancy sun shader like the newer Nolans and the Schuberth. This has been solved with this item at the bottom of the page Helmet Sunblocker One thumb opening is nice too.

"Relatively quiet", it's all relative. right? Seriously, I wear earspeakers most of the time, so noise isn't that much of an issue for me, but both styles have been quiet enough when not wearing any plugs. Probably noisier than some, but not too bad.

Good luck,

Shane

I've worn Arai's for over 20 years but decided to get a flip so I got a Schuberth Concept, I tried it on and it felt good but on long rides with earplugs it was tight and painful at the ears. I then put a headset in it and had to do major work on it to make it comfortable. I also found it loud but wear ear plugs.

I tried the new Nolan at the bike show and bought one, I dropped it off at Sierra Electronics both for a headset installation and got it back today so haven't had a chance to try it on any rides yet.

Just for your info.

I know a number of members on this forum who have had accidents with Flip Front helmets and all swear they will never go back to them because they discentigrate on impact. They all stated they will go back to a fullface. I like the concept of a flipface but looks are one thing protection is another.

I have the Nolan N100 in classic blue which is similar to the '05 color.

It is a noisy helmet relative to my previous full face helmets, but I wouldn't trade the flip front capabilities, they are great.

I have not seen anything definitive with respect to their relative safety versus other helmets.

When it comes time to buy a new helmet, I'd probably go for the Symax because I've heard good things about it versus the Nolan, however the Nolan is a top quality product and I would buy that again as well.

I have both an Arai and a Nolan. Neither are flip front. If you are upgrading from an old Bell you'll be mad you waited so long. There is a huge difference in the comfort of the newer helmets. My Arai is, and looks more expensive than my Nolan but the Nolan is quieter. I like to have speakers in my helmet and the Arai is great for speakers. It takes 5 minutes with no modifications. Now that I listen to the radio while riding I can never go back. If you like helmet speakers just make sure they'll install easy.

I bought one of the Caberg helmets (actually ordered it from a web site in England). The Europeans have a little better selection of colors than what is available here in the US. The blue I ordered isn't an exact match to the 05 FJR bike but at speed no one will notice. I have a Nolan which I'm holding in reserve but the Caberg fits better and the flip down sun visor is great. The fact that parts are available here in the US made the decision easier for me. I've always used a size XL but with this helmet I'm using a size 58-59 (metric). Without earplugs all the helmets will be noisy on the FJR, so plan to get a good set of plugs.

I have a Schuberth Concept. If fits well, but the chinstrap is too far back and rubs on my adam's apple. Very annoying. It uses a snap type chinstrap which adds to the problem. I have to leave the chin strap fairly loose to make it tolerable, which is not a good thing for safety.

It is not very quiet, but then I have never had what I would consider to be a quiet helmet. I always wear earplugs if I am riding more than 5 or 10 minutes on the highway.

The shade is great, and the ventilation is excellent.

I use my Shoei most of the time and only use the Concept for longer trips.

I would not recommend buying one without trying one on first.

I tried on the Nolan and the HJC Symax, and both fit well. I did not try on the Schubert or the Jarrow, due to the price. That said; if neither the Nolan nor the HJC fit, I would have tried on the more expensive ones. I chose the HJC, due to the fact that I wanted a white helmet (white matches any color bike) with a removable liner. The Nolan did not meet both requirements at that time. I usually have my earspeakers in, with XM playing, but the noise is still noticable. I've talked to a few others, and it seems wind noise is a trade-off for having a flip-front.

Brian

I would strongly recommend to forget flip-fronts, for security reasons. That's only my opinion.

I've got Schuberth S1, which is by far the best in market when it comes to noise. No, it is not 100% silent, but none other comes even close to same, difference already in 100kph can be more than 15 db. I've never used earplugs. S1 also has a good space for your nose and chin, because of the shape. I tried C2 but it was too tight in the front, at least for me...Integrated sun visor is genius, especially when driving into a tunnel.

When commutting, normally I wear my other helmet (Arai) because it has better ventilation, but much more noise. Ooops, and also, Arai looks cooler...

When taking a longer ride, I wouldn't leave home without my S1.

Lorie and I both have the Shoei RF 1000 Full face and we both like them. To be honest, this is my first helmet (started ridin' last May) so I can't tell whether it's quiet or not - nothing to compare it to. But, seems ok to me. For sun I just put 5 cents worth of electrical tape across the top of my visor, works like a champ.

Hmmm, guess this post isn't too helpful, sorry about that!

I have always ridden with Schoei and will probably continue to do so but for no other reason than it fits my head better than most others. Schoei does make a flip front helmet called a Synchrotec I believe and they make a police version of it with built in white LED lights for map reading or writing speeding tickets to people on FJR's.

Its pretty hard to claim the quietest helmet if you haven't tried them all. Flips are noisier than fullface in general. Not my opinion but of others who have tested top line of helmets. MCN did studies, and if you notice no advertising like so many other magazines and IMHO was spot. Most of us wear earplug, or should anyway, or custom earmolds with sound and db reduction so noise is pretty much mute.

Schuberth concept fllip face here. The release for the chin piece is on the left side, not on the chin as with all others I have seen. I con't know if the ones that "disinigrated" were chin area release buttons. Also, the mechanism utilized by Schuberth in the Concept helmet is made of metal, not the plastic retaining pieces used on some other helmets. The concept has a lip (previously mentioned) that effectivly blocks almost all the air from getting underneath (warmer in winter, dryer in the rain). The shape of the helmet is such that when you turn your head to the side you don't get pushed by the wind as much as some of the "flatter " sided helmets. The inner liner is removable and washable.

Someone above mentioned prob.s with speaker placement...I did not find that to be a problem at all and have done trips up to eighteen hours long without helmet discomfort (but I thought my ass was on fire) :huh:

the chin strap is a latch variety (not a D ring) and I love it because it is always set to the proper tightness, just click and go.

I'll be getting another one when it is time...

Gary