scored a RDL seat today!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAFJR1300

Reaction score
Can't believe it! Went wih a buddy to help him drop off his Ranger for service at the local motorsports shop. While I was waiting, I noticed a 2007 FJR sitting up against the wall and went over to check it out. It had a RDL - dual leather, half moon, with heat. I turned to ask the sales guy if they'd be willing to sell it. He said "sure,I hate those seats and would rather have the stocker!" So for $300 and my stock seat it was a done deal! I got the seats today but will have to wait to get the wiring harness until Tuesday.

I had a RDL on my '05 but sold everything before I deployed to Iraq. Didn't want it sitting around while I was gone and knew I wanted a 2nd Gen when I got back. I had really just started thinking about getting a RDL for my '07 and was occassionaly checking the want adds to see if anyone had one for sale. Guess it was just dumb luck.

There was a bit of turmoil though. After the guy said to come back when I get my stocker and $300, I did just that. When I walked back up to him (maybe an hour later) he told me I had to wait cause a customer was considering the bike and about to take it out on a test ride. I was like WTF... thought we had a deal,how are you gonna kick me to the curb for another sale?! Luckily, the other salesman offered the guy a better price for the bike with the stock seat. Thankfully, he took it.

Just a matter of being the right place at the right time. Congrats on your purchase, pretty sure you will love the seat!

I'll have to try and call them to see if they can give me the specs from the serial numbers. I have to assume from the firmness of the seat that it was built for a heavyweight like myself.

Funny, Friday the 12th I saw an FJR at my local dealership. I stopped to check it out. It was one I had test ridden, but it now had a Yamaha touring seat not the RDL I rode it with. I went over to the owners house. He had just purchased a C-14 and still had the RDL in his garage.

I offered him $300 and he said yes. I went back Saturday and picked it up. It is a dual vinyl built in July of 2010. The previous owner is a little taller and heavier than me, but I can still flatfoot the bike and the seat feels good sitting still. Crappy weather and medical procedure today have prevented a test ride.

The PO also gave me a factory windscreen in great condition.

It looks like Saturday was the day for $300 used RDL's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I admit I am very jealous of the deals you guys are getting!.

In 6700 miles facing getting on the bike for another 500 miles in the mornings, I never once had a worry of my ass on the RDL.

You guys who got them and fit from the other owner are very lucky. I gave almost 700 on a group buy to have both seats done to my spec, but I would like 300 better if it fit me.

They are the best distance seat I ever sat and this is my third.

Great find you guys!

This week has been midterms at school, so I have been busy. It has also rained every morning. I have a hard time heading out in the rain when it is below 45F. This morning it was 42F and raining, I said screw it and rode to school anyway.

My ride to school is 55 miles one way. It rained the whole friggen time and the thermometer never showed over 46F. It rained on my ride back home via the doctors office too.

I guess my point is, the seat works great, I think I'll keep it.

Can't believe it! Went wih a buddy to help him drop off his Ranger for service at the local motorsports shop. While I was waiting, I noticed a 2007 FJR sitting up against the wall and went over to check it out. It had a RDL - dual leather, half moon, with heat. I turned to ask the sales guy if they'd be willing to sell it. He said "sure,I hate those seats and would rather have the stocker!" So for $300 and my stock seat it was a done deal! I got the seats today but will have to wait to get the wiring harness until Tuesday.
you will love the heated seats.......