Seat Concepts Install Gen 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTXFJR

Reaction score
I bought a Seat Concepts kit and installed it last week. No, it's not a Russell, but it did provide results I can live with for now. My oem cover was a little long in the tooth, this upgrade freshened things up a bit for my steed. I haven't done any IBA's or even half day rides yet, but so far, the results seem satisfactory, and the new front foam insert is more comfortable to me than the oem. It allows me to stay back from the tank a bit where the oem felt like it wanted to crowd me into the tank.

What I started with. It seems to have some of those same white stains mentioned in an earlier post? I didn't ask the po how they got there.

IMG_0831_zpswn67utp5.jpg

This is the oem foam insert which was lightly tacked with spray adhesive around the edges to the seat pan. It is removed to make room for the new foam and cover.

IMG_0835_zpskicicvsk.jpg

Seat pan ready for the new install

IMG_0836_zpssvrdtemw.jpg

The new front seat cover as it comes from Seat Concepts.

IMG_0832_zpsp8neymb0.jpg

Bottom side of new seat foam. It seems like Seat Concepts really tried to build a quality product here. The foam casting fit the seat pan like a glove. Very well engineered imo. I went with the base option for foam density which iirc was rated for a rider up to 180 lbs. I'm at 220 but I can't imagine the denser foam being any more comfortable. We'll see if my opinion changes after some longer summer trips next year.

IMG_0833_zpswbgmruyi.jpg

Cover for the rear seat. This kit does not provide replacement foam for the rear pan which I would have preferred, but the oem foam was in perfect shape, this cover seemed to go over it very nicely.

IMG_0834_zps6inndabl.jpg

This is what I ended up with:

IMG_0839_zpssfzbqqou.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pictures. The seats look great! Do you find the carbon fiber textured vinyl slippery at all?