Seats with gel insert?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu64

Reaction score
Hey guys,last year in spring there was a member on the 'other' board who was installing gel inserts in his fjr seat. Someone from the midwest if i remember right(Mich. or Minn.?) Would like to contact them and see if they would be interested in customizing my fjr seat for me.

I've done it to mine, but wouldn't chance doing it to someone else's though. If you're willing to try it yourself-I used an electric knife to cut the stock seat down (it's not long enough to go all the way across, so you have to be accurate coming from both sides) and hollowed out the center so the pad fits in the hole.. Also, I found it better to have a thin layer of foam over the top of the gel pad. I imagine you might find someone who does auto seats if you don't want to chance it yourself. If you decide to try, contact me if you want some pointers.

In Daytona last March, I think it was SADDLEMAN seats that were doing it at their booth on Beach Street. and I think they told me that you could send them your seat and they would fit it and send it back. Just wait till March,Go to BIKEWEEK, have it done there, and then go to Volusia Co. speedway ,and the Daytona Stadium west of town for some awesome FLATTRACK RACING

Your looking for trinibob, the only forum member with his own " Smilie ". :trinibob:

He has done the mod and posted pics before. Try PM'ing him.

Hey guys,last year in spring there was a member on the 'other' board who was installing gel inserts in his fjr seat.
Stu64,

that would be Trinibob, who posted some nice work on that old other board. I'll see if I can link it--looks like the pix have been X-ed.

Trinibobs gel seat insert

Trinibobs around this board, maybe give him a PM or e-mail.

I had a Travelcade (owned by Saddleman) custom seat on my 84 GL1200. I even got a gel pad added to it. Still painful well before the end of my first BBG. It hurt and even after a fuel stop hurt as much as soon as I got back on (with more miles to do). That's when I learned the difference between an after market off-the-rack seat (covered to order) and a custom built seat (made from the ground up to your measurements).

When I got the 98se and, later, the FJR, the first thing I did was plot on getting a Russell. Multiple BB and BBGs on the 98se convinced me it was the right choice. Multiple competative 24 hour rallies and the Iron Butt Rally confirmed that it was also a good choice for the FJR.

Stu64,

You may be thinking of my seat rework, however, I had it done by a custom boat & car upholsterer for only $50 labor. The gell pad I purchased beforehand set me back $75. The seat looks stock but is very comfortable for me.

He cut the seat foam down to an inch above the pan, recessed the pad down to the pan & shaped the front to be narrower when I was standing. He recovered the whole thing with a cloth covered 1/4" foam before replacing the stock vinyl covering.

I weigh 220 lbs. plus my heavy leather gear. The seat has never sacked out to let me hit bottom & the comfort is better than stock to me. YMMV.

People will say gel is too hot. The seat has never bothered me as being hot. Maybe it was the covering he used.

dobias

Sooooorrrryy Yambone, your three minutes to slow !!
Dam, I hate it when that happens. I'll chalk up the delay to the POS search engine on the old board I used to find T-Bob's original post.

I had a gel seat om my Bandit was great up to the day I left the bike standing in the sun for 3 hours then got on and rode off, unfortunately I was wearing my draggin jeans ( the ones with kevlar inside) . After about 5 minutes riding all the heat stored in the gel transfered to the kevlar and my backside was toasting. All the car drivers kept on looking at me as I went past them standing up on the pegs with smoke pouring off my arse. :bigeyes: