Securing a pistol

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody know if a S&W Shield will fit in the glove box? I bet a 380 will. Motorcycle
My Springfield Mod 2 9mm with the small mag in it will, but as others have stated, that cover can be pried open easily. Not likely that someone would, but a screwdriver will make quick work of it.
Thanks, I'm going out to the garage now to check on the Shield. I know the glove box is flimsy, but I'm just thinking about keeping it there while riding my FJR and transferring while not.

When I got my concealed carry permit the trooper teaching the class said "carry" when in/on a vehicle is defined as "within your immediate grasp".
That may well be true in Montana. In Missouri I can leave a loaded gun on the car seat next to me without a permit. In Illinois it has to be unloaded and "in a case" which can be pretty much anything that closes. Both states define "carry" as on my person and require a permit for that.

In other words, its a complex subject with 51 sets of rules counting D.C. and you need to know the rules for the state in which you choose to be armed. The chances of getting caught in violation are slim unless you are really unlucky or stupid but there can be serious consequences should the dice roll against you. Make your own decision.

To the OP: I'd be more concerned about my ability to move it back and forth from bike to body discretely than the actual stowage. Its pretty rare to have a pannier broken into unless the thief has reason to believe it contains something worth the effort (like a firearm he saw you put in it).
easy to stand next to side case with pocket or holster next to case and slip gun into opened case and vice versa,did it for years before I retired.no one ever saw.

Maybe this is a dumb question - in states where CCW is permissible, what is the thinking on carrying in holster vs. tankbag?

I don't carry when riding, as a personal decision. However, one exception I might make is when I am doing an off-road trip, especially in very remote areas. (Recall my up close and personal visit by a tweaker during my ride in the remote Olympic national forrest some time back).

One worry about holster carrying is that a crash or even a mild get-off while carrying could result in injury or losing the gun, or losing control of the weapon if I was unconscious. Tank bag or pannier makes more sense, but obviously you lose the benefit of ease of access.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points, Hudson, but I think in a crash it is better to have the Shield next to me, rather than on the bike, based on personal experience from when I have crashed (Ime and the bike usually wind up in different places). I agree about the holster carry while riding 100%, though. Maybe inside the jacket? Alpinestar, are you listening? How about some sport bike jackets with built in concealed carry ability?

Maybe this is a dumb question - in states where CCW is permissible, what is the thinking on carrying in holster vs. tankbag?
I don't carry when riding, as a personal decision. However, one exception I might make is when I am doing an off-road trip, especially in very remote areas. (Recall my up close and personal visit by a tweaker during my ride in the remote Olympic national forrest some time back).

One worry about holster carrying is that a crash or even a mild get-off while carrying could result in injury or losing the gun, or losing control of the weapon if I was unconscious. Tank bag or pannier makes more sense, but obviously you lose the benefit of ease of access.
I am a firm believer in on your person carry. Most of my riding gear has a pocket or pockets on the inside, or the outside pockets have zippers. Semi-autos are flatter and spare magazines are a good idea.

To answer the OP: Learn how to manipulate the gun and palm it. You'll be able to move it into a side bag, unnoticed. Always, even of you put it in a tank bag, put it in some type of holster. Leaving the trigger guard uncovered is asking for problems. Carry however is most comfortable for YOU.

Remember this: If you cannot access your gun within 5 seconds, it's useless. Many gunfights are over in less than 3 seconds.

Also, if you're going to carry, PRACTICE. This is not TV, and you're responsible for every round that leaves the barrel. Get a 1-million dollar umbrella policy. If you have to defend yourself with a gun AND it's justified, expect $10 to $20 thousand dollars to prove it. If it's not justified, move to a non-extraditable country, cuz that million dollars will only get you a cheesedick attorney.

Transporting through all 50 states is covered under the Firearm Owners Protection Act. It was passed as a result of unwittingly running crosswise with local changes in laws that resulted in people "just passing through" getting arrested without actually meaning to commit a crime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

The provision that addresses this is the "safe passage provision".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act#.22Safe_Passage.22_provision

You can NOT stay in the restrictive jurisdiction overnight but stops for food and fuel are ok. If it's in the side case, then it doesn't need to be in an additional lock box because the side case is outside of the reach of the rider. Lock the side case and that acts as your lock box.

This fella has it figured out.... works in Montana.

IMG_1567_zpsxazgiove.jpg

Tactical discussions about this abound and there are people on different sides of the opinions.

Me? I think he had it right too. Sit in the middle of the room with an open carry so he can be target #1 while I pick a place with my back to wall and CCW to have time to react while said bad guys ID him and go for him first.

I don't understand the people who would see that guy and be scared of him. Their rationale is "Well, how am I to know if he's a good guy or a bad guy who is going to shoot up the place?" What does it matter? You don't know if the three guys with CCW in there too are going to do bad or good either. You being able to see the firearm doesn't change anything.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for Constitutional Carry (of any kind) I just think that announcing yourself is tactically unsound.

I have a strong opinion of guys that open carry. It's not a good one.
Agreed....

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for Constitutional Carry (of any kind) I just think that announcing yourself is tactically unsound.
^^^^ This ----- Just plain stupid IMO to instantly paint a target on yourself.

If you wish to carry, concealed is the far better option....

I have one of these. About the same size as an ordinary wallet. Slides right in the tank bag while riding.

Very easy to transfer into your back pocket or into the side case without being seen.

88a823fb4689f63692bc4cef0227f088.jpg

I don't understand the people who would see that guy and be scared of him. Their rationale is "Well, how am I to know if he's a good guy or a bad guy who is going to shoot up the place?" What does it matter? You don't know if the three guys with CCW in there too are going to do bad or good either. You being able to see the firearm doesn't change anything.
Haha...Nothing to do with being scared of or worried about him. As Bounce said, it's just tactically unsound. Why announce it to the world? My experience with guys like that is that they don't shoot well, and have a tendency to be unsafe. Instead of keeping a good secret a secret and using good judgement to avoid problems, and having to use the gun, they announce to the world, "Look at me, I'm cool. I have a gun." My experience is they do this in an attempt to either get people's attention or try to "scare" people by showing their powress. They do this because they don't handle their gun well and can't shoot for shit. People with good experience and knowledge know how to conceal and present their weapon when absolutely necessary. It is not a crutch. It is a tool for very specific times. It is what it is.

AJ, I wasn't directing that at you, and I understand. But I have heard the argument from the anti gun side argue against open carry of "Why do I have to have this guy with his gun hanging out sitting at a table near my family wondering if he's going to start shooting?" I fail to see the logic, because someone concealing their weapon could do the same, the visual presentation of the gun doesn't change that. In fact, I'd wager that someone with the intention of shooting up the place isn't going to come in showing his weapon and sit down for some coffee before going nutso.

Kind of sliding this back toward the original topic...

I agree with Zilla 1000%, if the gun is not immediately accessible it is completely useless.

If the gun is in the bike and you crash that bike destroying the saddlebag or top box, having that gun in a second lockable case takes on a whole new level of importance. Many, many years ago I crashed and totaled my Dad's wonderful GoldWing. In the topbox, which was destroyed in the crash, was my brand new Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. This is not an easy gun to conceal and I had no intention of trying. But what to do with it? I was hurt, the ambulance was waiting, the AirMed chopper was circling overhead and I was curled up in a ball in someone's front yard with my brand new revolver wrapped in a beach towel against my belly. When Daddy finally got there I was hurt so bad he had to take the bloody, muddy, towel with the big Ruger away from me. Only then would I get into the ambulance.

Of course, your carry pistol may not be as valuable to you as that big Ruger was to me at that time. You cannot plan for everything. But it does not hurt to think about everything.

If I were carrying for pleasure, I would have that in a sturdy case, and my carry-for-protection weapon on my person..

AJ, I wasn't directing that at you, and I understand. But I have heard the argument from the anti gun side argue against open carry of "Why do I have to have this guy with his gun hanging out sitting at a table near my family wondering if he's going to start shooting?" I fail to see the logic, because someone concealing their weapon could do the same, the visual presentation of the gun doesn't change that. In fact, I'd wager that someone with the intention of shooting up the place isn't going to come in showing his weapon and sit down for some coffee before going nutso.
I've gone to attributing it to an issue of them knowing they couldn't trust themselves with a firearm and know that they'd lose their temper or otherwise freak out and use it inappropriately. So, if they know how they would be, then surely everyone else is that way, too.

It should be a matter of trust but it's hard to trust others when you can't trust yourself.