see whats behind you, 180* rearview mirror

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about the sun reflecting back in your eyes??
From the FAQ: Will I be dazzled by the sun and night traffic using RiderScan?

No, as the curve angle at the top of the RiderScan is quite sharp so the reflected sun appears very small. There is much more chance you will be dazzled by the glass of your instruments or chrome in your forward line of view.

Being dazzled at night is also not a problem with RiderScan under normal road riding condition for the same reason as above.
Looking at the site's video, the first part of the answer may be accurate, but the night riding claim isn't at all obvious to me.

I think this looks great. It looks like it does what my aux mirrors do, and it looks like it does it better. I found mine on the forum years ago, but they're not available any more, and I've looked. They're a pair of wide fish-eye mirrors that mount under the OEM mirrors with a ball and socket mount. They do a great job of showing my whole blind spot, and they took a very short time to get used to what I was seeing, where to look, how to recognize what and where was in that spot, etc.

This product looks even better than what I have, to me. The image is larger and having the whole view in a single wide picture, it would be very easy--intuitive--to make sense of where you and nearby traffic were in relation to each other. Getting it here from overseas might be a PITA, but I definitely would not worry at all about the sun or car headlights behind you. You ride with the sun right in your face and cars coming at you from all directions, including from directly ahead, all bigger distractions than their much smaller reflections would be in this mirror, and you deal with that, right? I think it's a winner.

I recommend one of you UK blokes get one and report back! ;)

FZ1 mirrors. If you're tired of looking at your elbows, get em.
Different problem. This is to give you a view of what's in your blind spot to the sides, no use at all for what's behind.

That would drive me nuts in about 0.000001 seconds. It wouldn't last until I hit the end of my driveway. Bright shiny stuff in my line of sight won't do. I've been known to paint chrome bits on my dash because of the reflections.
But I think I agree with ionbeam, I wouldn't like that shiny thing there, although it should be well below the normal line of sight. Probably masked by my satnav on one side, or my satnav would cause a blind spot in the mirror's view, so I'd still have to do a shoulder check.

Not spending £40 simply to try it out, I'll let someone else do that and report back. (Ok, I'm a cheapskate.)

As for it driving you nuts in a micro-second, I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my TWO members has been using it for years (or a very similar model). He likes it. Not for me though.

What about the sun reflecting back in your eyes??
Mudslide,

If I got one of those mirrors, I would use black tape to "mask off" the sky above +25 degrees upward.

That trick should keep the Sun out of the picture, for most of the day.

The black masking would be different sizes for different riders, but it would be easy to do

Cheers,

Infrared

I think this looks great. It looks like it does what my aux mirrors do, and it looks like it does it better. I found mine on the forum years ago, but they're not available any more, and I've looked. They're a pair of wide fish-eye mirrors that mount under the OEM mirrors with a ball and socket mount. They do a great job of showing my whole blind spot, and they took a very short time to get used to what I was seeing, where to look, how to recognize what and where was in that spot, etc.
I think you may be referring to these. They came on the bike when I bought it, can't find them for sale online. Just a ball and socket that sticks really well to the mirrors.

4uKshOs.jpg

It looks like it does what my aux mirrors do, and it looks like it does it better. I found mine on the forum years ago, but they're not available any more, and I've looked. They're a pair of wide fish-eye mirrors that mount under the OEM mirrors with a ball and socket mount. They do a great job of showing my whole blind spot, and they took a very short time to get used to what I was seeing, where to look, how to recognize what and where was in that spot, etc.
I think you may be referring to these. They came on the bike when I bought it, can't find them for sale online. Just a ball and socket that sticks really well to the mirrors.
No. I tried stick-on mirrors like that before I got what I now use. If they were big enough to be able to tell a car from a semi, they blocked too much of the standard mirrors to see what was behind me (the main purpose of rear-view mirrors, after all). This is the best pic I can find of them that I had already loaded into Photobucket.

IMG_0634_zps0e9b990b.jpg

They are adjustable, too, though they're wide-angle enough that they cover everywhere you'd want to see almost however they're aimed. Only time I need to touch them is if they get bumped and badly knocked out of alignment.

If you watch the vid of the ride in Wales that Kaelaria posted, I'm pretty sure you won't spend any time being distracted by the mirror mounted on the windscreen, although the perspective is from a helmet-mounted cam, so the mirror looks lower than it would in real life. Still, I think any fear that it would be in the way or a distraction is unfounded, based on my ease of getting used to it. Still say it would be very nice to have, even if it is--and it is--expensive.

Great idea. Interested. I just wonder how well those flat mounting feet would fit the curve on the yamaha touring windshield.

Edit: looking at pics on site again I think it would work.

Don't know any motos that have a flat windscreen, so guessing that's not a problem. (Still hoping somebody tests one out for us.) :)
Wonder how well it works on an electrically adjustable windshield. Would it need to be adjusted each time you moved the windshield to a new position?
Curved way more than is necessary for the screen height and angle changes.

Don't know any motos that have a flat windscreen, so guessing that's not a problem. (Still hoping somebody tests one out for us.)
smile.png
Wonder how well it works on an electrically adjustable windshield. Would it need to be adjusted each time you moved the windshield to a new position?
Good point as I think I read to adjust it so the reflection of your helmet is at top of mirror. Probably figure out a happy medium though.

Promise I'll quit weighing in to defend this thing, especially since I don't own any stock in the company, but I've got to say the change in mirror height or angle from adjusting the screen wouldn't be an issue, IMO, for the same reason I said it doesn't matter much what angle my convex aux mirrors are mounted at. The curve of the mirror gives such a wide field of view in all directions that raising or lowering the screen wouldn't affect your field of view enough to matter.