• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

self-cancelling signal light units on sale

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allrider

eat, sleep, ride, repeat
Reaction score
I found this coupon for the STS self cancelling signal units good for 40% off.  Cheaper than i paid a month ago.  I just installed it on my 2014es and love it. It reminds me of the good old days riding my 1979 RD400F with self-cancelling signals.

Not sure how long the coupon is good for. COUPON CODE: C48DB24P      Here's another coupon code to try: DRX-4T

I have no financial interest in this dealio.

Sorry, forgot to include a link.  Panman got it.

Just got this email from them with an updated coupon code: DRX-4T

This link takes you right to checkout.

https://safer-turn.com/cart/?coupon_code=DRX-4T&add-to-cart=1024&utm_source=Compatibility&utm_campaign=a393e03fd2-AUTOMATION_Compatibility_predzadnji&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_13a7a432a6-a393e03fd2-217476553&mc_cid=a393e03fd2&mc_eid=cd39a7e987

I added some tips on installing on a Gen3 on the FJR owners forum Friday.  I will add them here.

I just put an STS on my 2014es. This isn't a full report on how to do this. Just a few tips to supplement the instructions. "2 wheel Obsession" has a video on you tube showing the disassembly of body parts but he got stuck cutting the wrong wires, so watch the whole video and make sure you do the wiring right. It was a red 2014 as well.You only need to take console 1, that goes over the gauges, and the left cover around the glove box off. Take your signal switch apart on the left handlebar and ID the wire colors. My wire colors were different than the manual for some reason and thats why i think 2 wheel obsession had trouble. Then follow that harness down to under the gauges by the headlight adjuster. Loosen the 2 adjustable zip ties holding the harnesses to get enough slack to work in there.I didn't like the idea of putting the connections under the nose bc it gets really wet up in there. So after i took all that apart like Mr Obsession, i now realize you can leave that alone, if you like, and do it this way. If you look at how the air/rain go through the nose piece you will see what i mean. Everything up front gets soaked in the rain. The connectors up there are all water tight connectors just for that reason. So i did my connections behind the gauges where the harness goes around the headlight adjuster.The 3 signal wires on my bike, lt, rt, and flasher are w/y, w/b, and bl/r, and because i didn't think i was going to be writing this i can''t tell you for sure which is lt or rt. Verify this for yourself to be certain and notice when you throw the signal switch to the left it is connecting to the rt side wire. I cut, stripped and crimped the supplied connectors on them. Be sure you get the male and female parts right. I know some of you guys have a hard time with that stuff so.. :stinker: I took power from the glove box accessory plug wires, which run right by there.You need to test the unit with power and signal wires going to bike side of the harness only in order to verify you got it right before hooking everything together so read the instructions and test the unit before moving to final assy. The blinkers should blink independently when turning on the key. Which is kinda cool. Now if i see a bike blink like that i know they have one of these units installed.When you get her all wired up and tested, tape up the harness and make it water tight and durable. Then test it again before you reassemble any further just in case. In final assy the harness fit in the same spot it was earlier, over the headlight adjuster.For the switch: I found the small rubber pads were not enough and the large were too big for the switch so i cut the large down by 1/3 thickness and then punched a hole in them to make the switch work a little easier.Last and only other time i had self cancelling signals prior was on a 79' RD 400F. My beloved Daytona Special. That thing cost me $1500 NIB and it had self cancelling signals. WTF Yama Mama these FJR's cost a lot more and we deserve it!

Your just getting older Gordon and more forget full. Talk about forget full I still need to put the set up I bought from you on the old 07.

When we get home from our snow birding and social distancing trip the FJR will be needing it's fourth valve check, hoping the social distancing is done soon I need master tec G'man to help.

What were we talking about... Oh yea, i would be happy to lend a hand getting that thingy on your whats-a-ma-dingy there. 

We should have this anti-social behavior under control by the time June rolls around.  Or, we could just wear AGATT and all work on our bikes together.

I found this coupon for the STS self cancelling signal units good for 40% off.  Cheaper than i paid a month ago.  I just installed it on my 2014es and love it. It reminds me of the good old days riding my 1979 RD400F with self-cancelling signals.

Not sure how long the coupon is good for. COUPON CODE: C48DB24P      Here's another coupon code to try: DRX-4T

I have no financial interest in this dealio.

Did you install their brake module as well or just the turn signal one?  I find following someone with an automatic brake signal reacting to any deceleration incredibly annoying.  Almost as bad as having someone with headlight modulators riding behind you.

So, does the turn signal thing work as advertised?  When I first got the FJR, the lack of self-canceling turn signals bothered me a lot but I don't know whether I would bother with one now.  Not sure why Yamaha didn't do it with the FJR.  Previous two Yamaha motorcycles had them (Road Star and Venture).

i don't like the idea of those deceleration brake modules either.  I already had a brake light modulator on this bike when i got it but its not the one ST2 sells.

The sts works as advertised.  really don't have a lot of miles on it yet.  Maybe several hours of riding, but as you might imagine i try to fake it out and fool it as much as i can to see if it has any soft spots.  Maybe the only thing would be passing another vehicle without enough movement of the bike might trick into thinking it didn't complete a pass.  knowing that you can make it work under those circumstances. 

Thanks Allrider for helping me spend more money on the bike  LOL  I ordered one today.  I do have a habit of forgetting to turn it off.

thanks for the write up too on how to wire it.