Sena and Starcom1 Digital setup

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
Is there anyone here using a Sena (or any other Bluetooth headset) along side with a Starcom1? Overall I have it working pretty good. I'm using the Wire3 to connect the starcom to the Sena. My passenger still has a cord to the helmet. My iPhone is paired straight to the Sena and the starcom, through the wire3, is paired to the Sena as a 2nd device. The starcom ONLY gets used when I have a passenger. I have an on/off switch for the starcom, I turn it off when I don't need it. (When off there are no issues.)

Now the issue... When I have a passenger (starcom is on) I can't hear my phone. So I can't hear music or take calls. It's like it's stuck in intercom mode and won't cut off when no one is talking. I can hear wind noise through the system and we can obviously talk. But when not talking I want it to switch off intercom so I can listen to music. I turned on Mic vox (on starcom) hoping that would solve the issue but it didn't. I'm also wondering if it's a paring priority issue on the Sena. But the iPhone is paired as "phone" and the starcom is paired as a "second device" so I would think the phone would have a higher priority.

Any ideas?

I tried doing the same thing and gave up fiddling with the Starcom and bought a second SENA device for my passenger. Never looked back. Am very happy how the SENA does the job!

I tried doing the same thing and gave up fiddling with the Starcom and bought a second SENA device for my passenger. Never looked back. Am very happy how the SENA does the job!
Good point but... I ride with a passenger only once in a blue moon... I mean so rare that i'm not going to spend the $ on another Sena for this. Also, I use the Starcom to hook up a hand held CB radio to for talking to another bike (goldwing). This is a new setup and have not "officially" tested out the cb part on a ride but it works just sitting in the garage. I'm sure it will have the same issue as I stated above. I want the phone to have priority over the starcom and the starcom just cut in when something come in over it...

I understand your dilemma. I also have the CB bike to bike with my SENA using the SENA radio blue tooth adapter and it too works great. I might have been able to get the Starcom unit working to handle the various inputs and priorities but just ran out of patience. Plus now I have a spare SENA headset when I'm not using it for a passenger.

Viper, could you elaborate a bit on your setup? What exactly are you using? Any issues with the setup? I ride with a buddy on a wing and it would be nice to be able to communicate with him. Thanks.

Burns1

I am using a pair of SENA 20s units for intercom and music and bike to bike com. Also have the SENA SR10 bluetooth unit for connecting my small Midland C/B radio which is also used for bike to bike com plus a weather band set of channels. It all works just as advertised and I'm very pleased with the total setup.

I should note that I also have GPS (TomTom Rider) and XM Radio and cell phone routed thru the SENA 20S as well. All works just as expected. I'm very pleased with the system!