Sena Communicator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have loved our Sena SMH5-FM communicators since 2013.

Initially we would leave our coms open all day, as batt life was great.

Then, we had to start cycling the coms for the batt to last the day.

Now, my Sena lasts 30 minutes on a full charge.

Visited the Sena forum site and found similar complaints.

Interestingly, the battery is a plug-in, but not sold by Amazon, and only showed up in China sources via a Google seach.

Sena's reply is if the unit is within the 2 year warrentee, then get a Return Authorization. If the unit is outside the 2 years, toss it. Buy new.

Our units were pretty inexpensive, and 4 years seems ok.

I did see a 20S owner complaint too, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
SunRider posted: We have loved our Sena SMH5-FM communicators since 2013. Initially we would leave our coms open all day, as batt life was great. Then, we had to start cycling the coms for the batt to last the day. Now, my Sena lasts 30 minutes on a full charge.<snip>
Try a 'power bank'. Some businesses put their logo on them and give them away. I have an old version from Duracell that is in my left breast pocket, already connected to the USB end of the Sena power cable. When the bitchy Sena voice says "Low Battery", I have 5 minutes to pull over and plug the other end of the cable into the base unit. Or, plug it in before you saddle up, if you know you're riding all day with comms enabled,

My 20S battery lasts about 6 hours with intercom, phone, and iPad connected; over 10 hours with the power bank connected.

Another option is to power your Senna from the bike by adding a USB 5 volt jack. The Senna will operate while charging. That way you can charge as you ride without risk of running out of battery. Of course you are then tethered to the bike while charging. The 'power bank' device can be dropped into your jacket pocket and leave you free to get on and off the bike easily. You still have to charge the 'power bank' at the end of the day. Maybe the best option is do use a 'power bank' and add a USB to the bike so you can change the 'power bank' while riding.

On another note, someone posted that they complained to Senna about their battery dying too quickly and Senna sent them a replacement. I don't remember of that replacement was just a battery or a trade for a new Senna unit.

Now, my Sena lasts 30 minutes on a full charge.
If you're only getting 30 minutes out of a full charge, your battery is shot. I bought a pair of Sena SMH10 in 2011. They still last all day on a single charge. That's playing music the whole ride, with GPS directions, and two way comms.

I even contacted Sena and begged them for some kind of upgrade for the 10S speakers, all they could give me was a "Sorry"
The electrics at least for me work well voice activated aspect works great, as does all the syncing to iPhone or Android
I ran the gamut when I first started using the SMH10. I started with ear buds, then moved back to speakers and ear plugs to eliminate wires. At speed I could not hear the SMH10 on the road with ear plugs at all. I ended ups replacing the stock speakers with the Tork in helmet speakers. There is also a resister to limit speaker volume in the helmet clamp. I jumpered the resister. Said solution has worked well for me, for many years.

I recently upgraded to the 20s. The 20s stock in helmet speakers sound just as good, if not better than my modified SMH10.

Pulled the battery out of my smh5-fm.

Easy, as the housing has 3 torx screws and the battery wire has a connector.

It is a 3.7V with 400mAH capacity. Part # LP432543.

Tons of similar on Amazon, but not a part# match or exact size match.

No interest in tethered riding. Likely try to find a batt match.

Not inclined to buy another Sena considering they claim the battery is non-replaceable.

Not inclined to buy another Sena considering they claim the battery is non-replaceable.

That's a pretty massive con.
The non-replaceable battery is becoming an industry norm. Many new devices have rechargeable batteries that are intended to have a limited life and require the consumer to purchase a new device. It's called built-in obsolescence. The Iphone has this, and I have a Garmin golf GPS with the same 'feature'.

People have figured out ways to replace batteries in some devices that the manufacturer did not intend to be replaced, like the IPhone. Also, the technology exists to build a lithium-ion battery that lasts for many years and possibly forever, but I have not seen the actual product used in any consumer goods yet. Give it time. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/did-researchers-stumble-battery-lasts-forever-180958955/

Latest posts