Sena SMH10 | Zumo 665 | iPhone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also picked up a pair of Westone's UM2's which are really nice if I can keep them in my ears nice n tight. They came loose today cause it was hot, and therefore sweaty. But with the foam tips I should be in good shape. But I'll have both with me.
smile.png
I also run UM2s - I do not use the comply tips, but rather triple-flange silicone sleeves from Shure. Their part number EA306 - a pretty common substitution and I find them comfortable for full day use, though YMMV.

I also picked up a pair of Westone's UM2's which are really nice if I can keep them in my ears nice n tight. They came loose today cause it was hot, and therefore sweaty. But with the foam tips I should be in good shape. But I'll have both with me.
smile.png
I also run UM2s - I do not use the comply tips, but rather triple-flange silicone sleeves from Shure. Their part number EA306 - a pretty common substitution and I find them comfortable for full day use, though YMMV.
I tried those, and have small ears/canals and they were a little bit much. I'm considering 'shortening them'.

Westone is sending me a new 'fit kit' because the kit that came with mine, well, the foam ones were dried out/dry rotted. I guess that's what you get when you order from Amazon sometimes. Shit that's been laying around for a long long time. In fact, these UM2's had stuff to register for a sweepstakes that expired in Q1 of 2012 in with them so they've been sitting in a warehouse for a 'while'.

Long story short, WestOne is taking care of it, but I had to argue to get a new fit-kit, they actually wanted to charge me, and asked me to return them and buy a new set.

-MD

I've recently become a Sena SMH10 owner. I ride with 30 dBa earplugs and use the helmet speakers.

I'm pairing my zumo 550 to the Sena as a phone (has no A2DP) and the sound quality is quite good, even streaming the music doesn't sound horrible. I then pair my blackberry to the zumo 550 (as a phone). The sound volume is higher than what I can get from my Starcom1 wired headsets.

For true stereo tunes I can pair the Sena to my Blackberry A2DP using selective media pairing and that also sounds very good and has plenty of volume. That profile has the lowest priority so when Garmina wants to tell me where to go, or to forward the phone calls it supersedes (mutes) the music.

I think the weak point in your setup may be the zumo 665's BT implementation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the weak point in your setup may be the zumo 665's BT implementation.
I think you may very well be right. With good ear-buds, I can get adequate volume but I couldn't with speakers. But now that I've reset it (both hard) and Factory software reset, I need to roll back to a helmet with speakers and see if that is improved.

Right now I'm good with the current setup and probably won't give that a try until after the rally.

-MD

Anyone had success pairing a Garmin nuvi to their SMH-10? I have a nuvi 2595 and have no problems pairing my phone to it or the phone and an iPod to the SMH-10, but although the nuvi clearly knows that the SMH-10 is there, it can't seem to pair to it. The nuvi keeps giving me codes that it somehow expects me to enter into the SMH-10 and if there's a way to do that, it has so far escaped me.

Help... (please!)

Pete

Your Nuvi won't pair to a headset. BT is only to pair a phone to the nuvi. Zumos have two channel BT - one in, one out.

The Headset has only ONE A2DP input possible - pair the phone and you'll have stereo form the phone. Pair the zumo as alternate and you'll get turn by turn and really crappy music.But it'll all work.

If you pair the phone to the zumo and the zumo to the headset with A2DP, you'll get stereo from the zumo, but then no streaming audio from the phone.

Your Nuvi won't pair to a headset. BT is only to pair a phone to the nuvi. Zumos have two channel BT - one in, one out.
The Headset has only ONE A2DP input possible - pair the phone and you'll have stereo form the phone. Pair the zumo as alternate and you'll get turn by turn and really crappy music.But it'll all work.

If you pair the phone to the zumo and the zumo to the headset with A2DP, you'll get stereo from the zumo, but then no streaming audio from the phone.
Ach... So it looks like pairing the phone and the iPod to the Sena is as good as it gonna get, unless I get a Zumo. Not the answer I hoped for, but thanks for bringing me up to speed!

I recently acquired a Sena SMH10 BT headset and have been messing around with it for the past week or so. I 'm trying to make it work (well) with a zumo 550 GPS. The zumo 550 has a handsfree profile (to pair to a BT capable phone) but it only has the headset (mono) output profile for connecting audio output to the Sena headset. So, playing MP3's or XM over that output link is low fidelity.

What I am thinking of doing is acquiring an A2DP bluetooth transmitter and hooking that to the stereo output jack from the zumo, and pair that transmitter to the Sena in "selective media" mode. I would configure the zumo's audio to only route the phone via it's internal (headset profile output) link and route the music and GPS prompts via the A2DP. That should then give me the equivalent operation to a zumo 66X with full stereo tunes and full phone forwarding connection.

The BT transmitter thing may be what you need for your nuvi 2595. I will post back if/when I find one that looks like it will work well.

edit - while looking for BT Transmitters I was linked to the Sena SM10 dual stream stereo transmitter. THis may be the hot ticket. Would let me and a passenger enjoy the same music and hear the GPS, and also allow me to get my radar detector connected in. More research required.

edit - while looking for BT Transmitters I was linked to the Sena SM10 dual stream stereo transmitter. THis may be the hot ticket. Would let me and a passenger enjoy the same music and hear the GPS, and also allow me to get my radar detector connected in. More research required.
Yes, I was just about to post that:

https://www.senabluetooth.com/products/sm10.php?tab_menu=overview

Should be what you need[TM].

I have one but haven't used it yet, was going to use it for Radar, but instead just went with the Bright ass LED's

-MD

The BT transmitter thing may be what you need for your nuvi 2595. I will post back if/when I find one that looks like it will work well.
The SM10 looks cool - I had thought about getting one to interface a two-way radio into the helmet, but it could also do a V1 and maybe the GPS prompts (although I find the talking GPS to be kind of a pain in the ear). Let me know what you figure out!

Follow-up

I searched for the best price I could find for a Sena SM10 to use with my SMH10-11 BT headset. Found it at PowerSportParts.net for $115 shipped. Ordered from them and received it in a timely fashion.

Like their BT headsets, the Sena SM10 seem like a good quality product. You can tell that it pairs with the A2DP (stereo) profile as the voice in my headset says "media device connected", not "phone connected." Fidelity is quite good from any source into the "audio" port. It is typical phone quality into the "aux" port, which is fine for an RD.

If I have one complaint it is that its volume, even with the "audio boosting" enabled, is barely adequate with 30 dBA earplugs and helmet speakers. As a direct comparison, the audio volume levels using the same helmet headset are considerably higher (to the point where I need to reduce the headset volume) when pairing the SMH10 headset directly with my nuvi 765T's A2DP output, or with the zumo 550's headset (mono) output. Those who do not use earplugs, or use in ear monitors (earbuds) will not have this issue.

I will most likely keep this unit for use on the FJR and Vstrom, as it allows me to integrate the RD signal into my BT intercom. I will probably look into getting the SMH10's helmet clamp thingee that allows in ear speakers (earbuds) which should negate the low output levels. I'll continue to use the helmet speaker type standard clamp while on the Pegaso w/ the nuvi 765T. I don't really need an RD on the Pegaso.
wink.png

Now I just need to get some seat time in with these gadgets to see how their reliability is.

Just as a follow up, don't downgrade a 665 from 2.90 to 2.80, no difference in phone quality to Zumo (still shit, but excellent when phone paired directly to SMH10). Last year it worked great with phone to Zumo, will try 2.7 and 2.6 next before reverting to 2.9. What did they break!

FWIW, I have this setup working very well now - all latest firmware on everything:

SenaConfig.png

I have stereo tunes and phone calls coming from my iPhone. I have intercom connections to both my wife and daughter. I have radar alerts (Adaptiv) and GPS directions (Garmin Montana 650) overriding all via the SR10 under the seat. I wired the SR10 to switched power so it's totally hands off once wired and paired. Couldn't be happier. Everything works perfectly and the SMH10's are so much more reliable and easier to operate than the Scala Rider (had both G4 and G9 previously).

FWIW, I have this setup working very well now - all latest firmware on everything:

I have stereo tunes and phone calls coming from my iPhone. I have intercom connections to both my wife and daughter. I have radar alerts (Adaptiv) and GPS directions (Garmin Montana 650) overriding all via the SR10 under the seat. I wired the SR10 to switched power so it's totally hands off once wired and paired. Couldn't be happier. Everything works perfectly and the SMH10's are so much more reliable and easier to operate than the Scala Rider (had both G4 and G9 previously).
That's basically what I want. I ran the rally with iPhone for tunes and phone calls paired as the 'phone', GPS as a multipoint device and it worked just fine.

That said, when I was streaming music from the phone. My riding buddy could NOT establish an intercom call. He'd push the button and nothing happened.

If I wasn't streaming it worked as advertised.

He was only using the Sena to intercom with me, his audio was wired through his mixit (Radar and Zumo Audio), and that was plugged into the MP3 port in the back of the mount.

It worked well until it didn't. Day one was good, but when we got to the hotel his unit wouldn't charge. And never came back on. Luckly we were loaned a unit (thanks Josh) for the rally.

I expect Sena will replace it, they should, they aren't 30 days old yet.

-MD

Sickchilly,

Same thing as you for 45k last year until Zumo put out new firmware. That's what we're trying to get back to with that particular product.

I suspect rolling back Zumo to last year's setup will bring my great joy.