Sepang, Sepow!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moto GP LOVES THIS FREE PUBLICITY. More people will turn into this upcoming race than ever before to see if something else happens. A favorite quote I recently heard applies to this situation of dollars and cents. Moto GP is losing viewership in the US quickly, They have also cancelled the Indy race in favor of another venue. Where else on the planet loves a genuine dust up than America?? Young punk vs old sage!! It is no surprise to me that this form of entertainment and if you don't think it is entertainment, just look at the mobs of people wearing 93 or 46 gear. Good vs Evil always sells. In the absence of a true storyline, do not put it past the ownership of the league to create one! Look at the soap opera that has ensued after they got together after MM for shoved off the track and Rossi went on to win a month or so ago when he ran across the dirt and grass to win! Last year MM streak of wins was the story, this year prior to the off track chirping, was there a real story??

With the amount of manufactures not even fielding competitive teams, something has to carry the "sport". Where is Ducati, Suzuki, and Kawasaki??

Oh yeah, the quote is "let's not pretend to not know what we already know"

You could be right, easier to get high ratings through grudge matches than level the playing field so there is real competition between all the teams.

You could be right, easier to get high ratings through grudge matches than level the playing field so there is real competition between all the teams.
The last thing needed is having Dorna leveling the playing field. How about teams put up the bike and rider to win the damn thing? Ducati has made a huge leap into the competition this year, where as before the were middle of the pack. Suzuki has even shown signs of being strong their 1st year back. The non-factory teams already have advantages with tires and fuel, and it still doesn't help them compete in the front. Why penalize the teams that put out the fastest bikes, with the best riders on them, because the others can't or won't?
Lord knows, we've seen what they've done to Iroc,....er, NASCAR with all the level playing field crap. It's become a homogeneous cluster of cars running in packs of 20 or more. I want racing, real racing, not restricted racing, so every fan can have a winner.

I'm a Yamaha fan first, and a Rossi fan second. When Marquez was dominating, I didn't like it, but admired his ability AND Honda's effort in putting a super tuned machine in there for him to ride. This year Yamaha had the edge. Next year? Who knows? Maybe the Ducati's turn it up. Either way, all teams will have to find the match of rider and bike to make it happen.

The Ducs sure have the power. If they get a handle on the handling they will be a force. Iannone seems to be a true talent that is unafraid to mix it up with the likes of MM and Rossi.

The last thing needed is having Dorna leveling the playing field. How about teams put up the bike and rider to win the damn thing? Ducati has made a huge leap into the competition this year, where as before the were middle of the pack. Suzuki has even shown signs of being strong their 1st year back. The non-factory teams already have advantages with tires and fuel, and it still doesn't help them compete in the front. Why penalize the teams that put out the fastest bikes, with the best riders on them, because the others can't or won't?
Lord knows, we've seen what they've done to Iroc,....er, NASCAR with all the level playing field crap. It's become a homogeneous cluster of cars running in packs of 20 or more. I want racing, real racing, not restricted racing, so every fan can have a winner.

I'm a Yamaha fan first, and a Rossi fan second. When Marquez was dominating, I didn't like it, but admired his ability AND Honda's effort in putting a super tuned machine in there for him to ride. This year Yamaha had the edge. Next year? Who knows? Maybe the Ducati's turn it up. Either way, all teams will have to find the match of rider and bike to make it happen
I didn't mean that they should turn the series into nascab, sorry about that but more can be done to help the smaller teams be competitive. I realize the same people own F1 but that doesn't mean MotoGP should be a carbon copy.

***Small Spoiler alert****

Spent the weekend binge watching 6 races. Marquez certainly didn't work hard to disprove Rossi's claims if you count the number of times he challenged Lorenzo today. He sure was willing to scrap with Dani though.

Speaking of NASCRAP my current working theory is that the boys in the big red trailer are going to give Gordon a going away present and script it so that 24 wins the championship.

You read it here first.

You could be right about that. I'll never forget Damica "winning" the pole at Daytona.
rolleyes.gif

And I'm going to be honest, after the Sepang race and listening to Rossi's complaints...I really thought he was wearing the hat made of tin foil. And I'm a huge Rossi fan. But after the final race I had a hat of my own.
biggrin.png

After the race, I cancelled my videopass renewal. Before PI, I hoped for a clean contest for title. Didn't see that and reading of loserenzo's display of ego was pathetic. Keeping my wsbk videopass to see how Nicky fares.

What is the real shame is what has been allowed to happen to US / North American road racing. We went from a period of producing world champs one after another for many years, but now there doesn't seem to be the interest in developing our talent. In the early 80's I worked as a volunteer at Laguna Seca. During motorcycle road races I drove the crash truck and went around the track after every session to pick-up any stranded bikes and riders. For the annual AMA, race riders such as Kenny Roberts (back from F1 for the summer break), Freddie Spencer, Eddie Lawson, Kevin Schwantz, Wayne Rainey and Yvonne Duhammel would all be in those races. Those riders went on to dominate F1 motorcycle racing for many years. What does our future look like now? We evidently need to hire some Spaniards to run our developmental programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thought out and written article. The writer brings up some interesting and valid points to consider. I hope GP can recover from this, but we really won't know until next season arrives. Will everyone cool their jets or will they continue down this destructive road, until someone gets hurt...or worse. Only time will tell.