Shad SH-50 too big?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarman

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the Shad 50 liter top box, but I'm wondering if it will look like I'm pulling a parade float due to it's size. Does the Shad SH-50 look like it belongs on the FJR? I have the Premier Cycle Accessories Sport Touring Rack on my 08 FJR. Is it enough for the Shad SH-50 or do I need something with more brawn.

I appreciate the help,

Dave

I bought an SH45 a while back based on their claim it would hold 2 full face helmets and it was quite a bit less $$ than the next couple sizes up... But it won't fit 2 Scorpion EXO-700's. If I had known that I might have went a size or 2 bigger, but didn't feel like hassling with returning it. The 45 doesn't look that huge. I commute to work with the 45 and leave the bags at home, easier to squeeze between the cages in the garage. If you want to make sure it'll hold 2 helmets, get at least the 48.

edit: I bought the 'Topmaster' rack made for the Shad cases, just remove the 3 bolts that hold the stock rack on and use the new ones to bolt the topmaster on. It's sturdy, the wife leans back on the case and there's no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pics! I was at Pike's Peak last Nov.
Yeah that was a heck of a ride. All of the locals said go in the morning, so of course we went in the afternoon. :) It rained, it was really muddy, but we had fun!
I'll bet that was fun! My wife about crapped herself going up, especially on the bumpy dirt part! She thought for sure we were going to slide off the road. I thought it was fun! We were lucky, it was warm and sunny at the bottom, but pretty chilly at the top even with the sun.

I have a Shad 29 with the optional blue color panel & backrest pad. IMHO it looks like it was made for the bike; it is small and sporty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at getting the Shad 50.

I hear that they can push the passenger forward and they don't like it.

I am thinking of getting the Gerauld rack to mount it on. It seems that I would be able to move it forward and backwards to suit the passenger. The Topmaster rack would not allow any movement.

Anyone tried this?

Thanks

I am looking at getting the Shad 50.
I hear that they can push the passenger forward and they don't like it.

I am thinking of getting the Gerauld rack to mount it on. It seems that I would be able to move it forward and backwards to suit the passenger. The Topmaster rack would not allow any movement.

Anyone tried this?

Thanks
I don't have any issues with the 45 and the topmaster, but I did NOT get the pad for the backrest. Her jacket has a backpad so she leans on it and likes it back there. She doesn't hold on for dear life anymore.

I hope it doesn't look too big because mine is supposed to arrive in a few days. I think it looks great on the bike. With that said the only time I would have it on there is for crazy long rides and when wifey is on board.

This is all you'll see when the case is removed if you get the Shad adapter.

1120506077_photobucket_103145_.jpg