Should black hex box remain?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree. Teach a man to fish …. blah blah

But the reality is it took longer to type that out, then simply answer the question. Right or wrong that type of answer generally turns people off.

However I totally understand having to answer what you feel is a stupid question. It is very frustrating when you’ve done over and over again.

Maybe, in addition to suggesting go research yourself, provided the answer is short, simply answer the question in addition to suggesting they find a service manual. They they’d be prepared for many other types of questions?

Just some unsolicited thoughts. Yall have been very helpful when I’ve need help. Thank you.
It's cool. In post # 11 I admitted I did not know the answer. Thanks for the kudus, I help when I can. Most FJR owners will help anybody with anything I've found. Including you. (y)

Agree. Teach a man to fish …. blah blah

But the reality is it took longer to type that out, then simply answer the question. Right or wrong that type of answer generally turns people off.

However I totally understand having to answer what you feel is a stupid question. It is very frustrating when you’ve done over and over again.

Maybe, in addition to suggesting go research yourself, provided the answer is short, simply answer the question in addition to suggesting they find a service manual. They they’d be prepared for many other types of questions?

Just some unsolicited thoughts. Yall have been very helpful when I’ve need help. Thank you.
it only took a couple replies for someone to simply type, "normal." so IMHO, and as the OP, no biggie. I knew I'd get a straight answer. Eventually. Some guys just hafta go 'round the mulberry bush. And fwiw, and as it turns out, the manual does not answer this particular Q.

it only took a couple replies for someone to simply type, "normal." so IMHO, and as the OP, no biggie. I knew I'd get a straight answer. Eventually. Some guys just hafta go 'round the mulberry bush. And fwiw, and as it turns out, the manual does not answer this particular Q.
Actually, it sort of does. Every single picture in the owners manual shows the box, even when the power is obviously off.

Actually, it sort of does. Every single picture in the owners manual shows the box, even when the power is obviously off.
Not in my owner's manuals. I counted five with the ignition off in each manual, none of them show anything on the display.

Might depend on the precise model or area, these manuals are downloaded, UK 2006 & 2010, YCC-S variant.

you guys, I'm so sorry to have started this this thread and hope no-one gets their nose outta joint over it. But I fear there's a chance of that. My manual and apparently some others do not show it. Yet several others do. I had only owned the machine a couple months before midwest riding season ended and just couldn't recall if the multi display looked like that. It happened to be the first time I'd ever started the bike still inside the garage where it was dark enough that the blink of the small bulb was visible. I was grateful to get the reply I needed,. I'm glad to be part of the group and to have so much expertise avail. Thanx to all for the ALL the replies! ride safe!

It's cool. In post # 11 I admitted I did not know the answer. Thanks for the kudus, I help when I can. Most FJR owners will help anybody with anything I've found. Including you. (y)
Thanks for not taking personally. My comment was intended for general consumption and not specifically direcred to you.

... I'm so sorry to have started this this thread and hope no-one gets their nose outta joint over it. ...
No, you should have started the thread. Yes, it took some effort to get a definitive answer to your question, but that answer could help others.

As for "noses out of joint", anyone who gets upset by what's going on here shouldn't be here. These stupid arguments go on all the time.

And, always remember, the only stupid question is the unasked question.

Some folks just can't answer a question. Yes, that "black box" is a permanent part of the display. Not actually part of the LCD display you see once the key is on and the instrument cluster is powered up. It houses a warning light.

You should follow the suggestion to find online and download an owners manual for your bike.
But then you create another generation that expects to be spoon fed. Yes?

you guys, I'm so sorry to have started this this thread and hope no-one gets their nose outta joint over it. But I fear there's a chance of that. My manual and apparently some others do not show it. Yet several others do. I had only owned the machine a couple months before midwest riding season ended and just couldn't recall if the multi display looked like that. It happened to be the first time I'd ever started the bike still inside the garage where it was dark enough that the blink of the small bulb was visible. I was grateful to get the reply I needed,. I'm glad to be part of the group and to have so much expertise avail. Thanx to all for the ALL the replies! ride safe!
Nah it's cool. I've found it's rare when somebody takes things personally, it usually gets obviously ugly real fast. Reading something can sometimes get misinterpreted because you don't get the tone of voice the post was "said" in.

I'll often point someone to the owner's manual or search function just in case they are unaware that they even exist.

Not in my owner's manuals. I counted five with the ignition off in each manual, none of them show anything on the display.

Might depend on the precise model or area, these manuals are downloaded, UK 2006 & 2010, YCC-S variant.
Yeah, didn't think of "foreign" models. Apologies Gene.