Should I Buy An 06?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think 'seat' is a typo. I think he meant 'seal'. The flexible valve stem 'seal' lets oil pass down the valve stem to the valve stem/valve guide interface.

If the seal is too tight on the valve stem, little or no oil will make its way down to the stem/guide interface. If it's too loose on the stem too much oil will be lost down the stem and you'll see oil consumption.

The stem/guide interface needs a small amount of lubricating oil. The stem seal is supposed to provide a 'metered' leak that passes just enough oil to keep the stem/guide wear to a minimum for long operating life.

This line of inquiry by Yamaha may have merit. Yet, it would seem that the seals would have been one of the first areas of interest in resolving this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell, I heard only 7% of the 2003's thru 2005's tick. And Yamaha will fix it if they do. What ya worried about? Buy, ride.

I think 'seat' is a typo. I think he meant 'seal'. The flexible valve stem 'seal' lets oil pass down the valve stem to the valve stem/valve guide interface.
Very possible he did say 'seal'. The vmail audio did not have good audio, sounded like a cell phone.

In for a penny - in for a dime, is how I figured it.

I bought the 05, along with the 4-year YES warranty, about a year ago.

Yes, there have been reports of the 05’s being afflicted with the “Tikkin'” problem. I’ve heard the tickin’ and it ain’t even purty. From everything I have heard and read, Yami Corp, will cover the problem with, or without, the extended warranty.

Mine’s not a tickin’, yet! I’ve gotten over the whole “worry” syndrome until the worry in warranted. I just ride the begezzies out of it.

On the down side, and true to it’s nature, as an inline 4, it can be a bit “buzzie” at times; also, it’s not a light bike at all; and it could use a bit of tweekin’ to the suspension (if not down right replacement (but this depends a lot on how aggressively you ride)); and stock seat leaves a lot to be desired if you plan on putting more than 500 miles on the bike in a day. But all of these quirks can be easily remedied – for some $$$.

I do all my own maintenance on the bike (with much thanks to people like WC, etc., for their technical expertise).

On the up side, this bike is an enigma : gentle as a kitten one moment, and angry as a tiger the next – all proportionate to the twist-of-the-right-wrist, which can all can be had at the cost of 40 – 50 mpg.

I absolutely love the bike.

For MY money when it comes to a S/T bike, I’m not sure what’s out there that can compete with the FJR.

As for the 06’s, I guess you just roll the dice.

Good luck!