Shout out to San Diego

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

650cent

Reaction score
Hello, I'm going to be San Diego at the end of March seeing my son who is going school at Point Loma. We are staying at Sunset Cliffs for the week and I am look for ride suggestions of about 200 to 300 miles in length. I will be riding my FJR down and a friend of mine is renting a Harley for the day. We are looking to head East but don't want to miss any must ride roads in the area. Maybe a ride out to somewhere, have lunch and a loop back. Any suggestions?

Bill

Do a loop through Cuyamaca state park(spelling?), Julian(mountains), maybe out through Anza Borrego(desert). San Diego is a great starting point for a coastal, mountain, and desert run all in one day.

give a shout out nearer the time and we sort something out.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys,

I am looking to be in town on the 21st and taking the day ride on the 24th or 25th. Only one other guy in our group rides. This is mostly a spring break vacation for my daughter and three of her friends, the parents are just along for the sun and surf. I will defiantly be ready to get out for a ride around the area instead of shopping and Seaworld. ;)

Bill

Where to begin... East County is largely undeveloped but has a terrific network of very nice roads. Try 94 east from Rancho San Diego to Jacumba (+/- 65 m) and stop for lunch at the Jacumba Hot Springs Resort. FRom there you can continue east on 8 down the Ocotillo Grade (hang on!) and connect to S22 (or S2, I forget) and north to Yacci Pass. From there go either east to Borrego Springs or west (up) to the mountain village of Julian. Have fun!

Hello, I'm going to be San Diego at the end of March seeing my son who is going school at Point Loma. We are staying at Sunset Cliffs for the week and I am look for ride suggestions of about 200 to 300 miles in length. I will be riding my FJR down and a friend of mine is renting a Harley for the day. We are looking to head East but don't want to miss any must ride roads in the area. Maybe a ride out to somewhere, have lunch and a loop back. Any suggestions?
Bill
I got the perfect ride for yah in San Diego County. Start out at Otay Lakes Road in Chula Vista- follow this road and turn right onto HWY. 94 - Take 94 to Campo or Jacumba - Get on Interstate 8 to Octotillo - Go North on S2 through the Borrego Desert follow signs to the town Borrego (have lunch). Go back via Montezuma S22, Turn back onto S2 to 78 and go to Julian. From Julian follow 79 back to Interstate 8 and back to San Diego. Lots of twisties and it is about 240 miles. I do this trip at least 5 times a year with a bunch of guys from work. Use Map quest to follow the directions or some other maps. Chula Vista Zip is 91910 for a starting Zip code. I love this ride. :ph34r:

Mark

Thanks for the ride suggestion everyone. Looks like Tuesday the 24th is the day for getting out. Looking forward to some warmer weather. My friend will be on a rented HD Fat Boy so I'm guessing we won't be that that fast. If anyone can get away that day for a ride let me know.

Bill

I'm taking notes. If I can get away from the conference early or get down to SD early the 240 mile loop sounds great. Any shorter roads/rides I could try in a couple hours or so?

so whats going on with this?

I just spoke with John Dumke and he is up for a ride. We could meet you in Temecula and then head into the mountains?

let me know.

R

Everybody is welcome. Maybe we can meet at the HD dealer where my buddy is picking up his rental. I believe he scheduled a 9AM pickup but not sure of the address of the dealer. Maybe there is only one in town? I will find out the details tonight and post up. Any ride is great, looking for about a 250 mile day with lunch.

That sounds a lot like the ride we did with Lanny, djbill went on that one too. It's a little different but very close. It was real fun tons-O-twisties. You'll really like it.

Unlike djbill and Fairlaner I can not make a Tuesday ride.

All ya'll ride safe and enjoy!

OK, we will be at the downtown HD dealer at 10AM. Lets meet up there. I'm sure you guys will come up with a great ride, thanks.

Bill

How about this?

We will leave you guys when we hit the 15 and head north.

MAP

i will put it in a map source file for the Garmin guys.

R

Looks like a great ride, except the 50 miles or so south on the 15 slab back to SD. There are some much nicer ways back to SD from the mountains and desert. Optional Map 230 miles: Breakaway at Julian with LA Riverside riders heading out to Fallbrook and north while the SD riders head south on the Cuyamaca Hywy, under the 8 and onto Japatul and Lyons valley Road hooking back onto the 94 just east of Jamul. Just a thought... Either way I'm watching the posts and my schedule to see if I can bug out to join you guys.