Sick 2006A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interested in hearing what you find wrong. Especially on such a new bike and the same year as mine. :eek:

Don,

Shucks, sorry to hear this. I hope the problem becomes apparent and your dealer is quick to get things fixed.

Sucks having a bike in the shop ....maybe it'll give you some dirt-bike time(?).

Good luck with the bike.

Supposedly parts have been ordered and should be in today/Friday. Hopefully soon. I miss warp speed. :glare:

Better slow & right then quick & wrong ("excuse me sir...would you like this box of leftover parts" :eek: )....so go with what twn said....

Well, at least snails pace is reliable! :bleh:
TWN, you're the best! Yes, the 134,000 mile HD just keeps running and running..

Better slow & right then quick & wrong ("excuse me sir...would you like this box of leftover parts" :eek: )....so go with what twn said....
Uhh, Mike, I think TWN's comments were focused on the fact that my brand new shiny low mileage FJR has busted down 3 times already and my 17 year old 134k mile just keeps running and running...although at a snails pace compared to Crzy8.

Ohhhh kaayyy.... what's the verdict then? What was the problem?
Still don't know for sure. The tech ordered parts on a shot gun approach.. New intake/exhaust valves, head gasket, guides, seals, etc. I'll keep ya'll posted when more is known.

Still don't know for sure. The tech ordered parts on a shot gun approach.. New intake/exhaust valves, head gasket, guides, seals, etc. I'll keep ya'll posted when more is known.
sounds like the shot gun approach will be to throw those all in at one time and see what happens? So if their work fixes it, you'll not necessarily know for sure the exact the cause.
End result is the same, you'll have your bike back.

Best of luck Don, hope you get the bike back soon. ...renojohn

Sounds like they have no idea what is wrong. Too bad....a few simple checks would tell them for sure. I cannot believe the reluctance of a dealership or tech in performing some rudamentary diagnosis. They spend two or three times as much on parts just shot gunning sometime. But....they get paid by warranty for replacing parts.....LOL.....not diagnosing in many cases so I guess I know the answer to my question.

Get more info as it comes in and get some pics of the used head, head gasket, etc. if at all possible. Curiosity is killing the cat.
Yeah, the cat is tweaked. I'm in a situation where the tech is really good, but not a real 'people person'. I'm having a somewhat hard time understanding why he hadn't torn it down further to lookie lou, but then again, he's not the owner and has many other bikes to work on. So I kind of understand his perspective; it's MY baby not his. Order the parts, move on to other bikes, find out what's really wrong with this one later. It's not the way I would do it though. <_<

..and no, the Death Valley problem was solved by eliminating the CA bike charcoal canister. I still want to find another 06 Kali bike and test with my highly accurate blowometer... keep it pure boyz.. :blink: Seriously, the vent through my cap and the vent through the charcoal canister require ~ the same amount of pressure, which really surprised me.
Bummer D, hope it's fixed quickly... and until you return to DV you don't REALLY know the miss is fixed. Since both our 06's were doing it at roughly the same place I'm thinking ot may be the fact we were both below sea level, and it had something to do with how the computer is setup,,,,,but then again Hal's ran fine ?? So far mine has not cutout or stumbled since.
My[SIZE=14pt] sissy 06 AE [/SIZE]ran very well during the DV run, actually it got a good blowing out of built up carbon trying to keep you youngster in sight!!

A buddies BMW GS 1100 had an oil leak they couldn't fix after replacing a head a couple of times. They put a whole new engine in the bike to solve the problem. He about freaked when he showed up to get his repaired bike and asked what they did to "fix it this time?" and the reply was "We put a new engine in it." :blink:

Given the fact that the dealer service may be pretty busy at this time of year getting bikes serviced, etc.... they are probably playing it safe and, realizing that something major is wrong, ordering any and all the parts that could be affected. No sense in taking it apart now and trying to keep track of all the loose parts and such. Just R&R when the new pieces are in. Just try to seet talk the tech into letting you see the old parts when they are finished so we can figure out what really went wrong.
I don't know what the track record is for motorcycle dealers......but......car dealer service departments are not very good at determining the true root cause for failures. They will figure out what is wrong and repair it or replace the appropriate parts with no problem. Gets the customer on the road and happy so their priorities are correct. But do NOT assume they can be relied on to take the failed parts and determine what actually caused the failure. Over the last 30+ years I have found them to rarely be correct with the actual diagnosis of the failure mode. They always have their version of why the failure occured ..... but it is rarely right..... That is why anytime we introduce a new product (or engine for example) it is strictly and R&R item for the first year at least. That is so we can tear it down and analyze to determine true root cause of the suspected failure. I once saw an engine returned from a dealer with an "incurable" oil leak at the rear main seal. The dealer had replaced the seal (twice), replaced the crank, regasketed the lower end of the motor, etc. and finally replaced the engine to cure the "engine oil leak". At first glance the root cause of the incurable engine oil leak was evident. The power steering pump was leaking on top of the engine and the oil was running down the valley and out the back onto the rear main seal. The engine was fine. That is why warranty data can be so misleading.....and why you need to see the parts they replaced if you can to REALLY see what was wrong.
Jestal - I'll be at the dealer mananna to take a look. I doubt anything has been done so far. I'll request all old parts - gaskets, valves, guides, etc. Not sure if they will allow that but I can ask. The other side is that many times the mechanic will simply rip-tear the old parts out, gaskets come to mind, thus forever ruining the 'evidence'. ..so, if I get all the parts and ship them to you, my cost, you'll examine and post up your findings? :rolleyes:

From what you've related here; sounds to me like Ivan is a pretty squared-away (production) tech. The 'go -- no go' technique for valve clearance inspection is a valid one, ordered parts that are un-used can be returned or put in inventory (sometimes not a bad idea for a big shop). To be warranteed there must be bad parts that are replaced (parts& labor) and Yamaha may request the bad parts.

Could it have been over-revved and a couple of the (heavier) inlet valves kissed a piston? If so, that'll be evident upon dis-assembly -- or, whatever is causing the compression loss.

Ideally, a detailed diagnosis would precede any repair as would disassembly and inspection so that only just the needed parts would be ordered. In the 'real world' service dept. that (concept) may be just a luxury.....

Good luck, let us know.

Uhm, Don, I don't see "head bolts" listed. They are not re-useble! :dribble:

Re: would I notice 50% power loss? Prolly not because I don't ride mine near 6/10ths. <_<

Now you know why you received a Standing-O upon your return to the motel in Lone Pine! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it have been over-revved and a couple of the (heavier) inlet valves kissed a piston? If so, that'll be evident upon dis-assembly -- or, whatever is causing the compression loss.
The over-rev question has come up several times so I'll state as fact this bike has never been over-revved *that I know of*. I have never personally missed the shift or downshifted to early or othewise caused the bike to hit the rev limiter. I'm just a CBA guy, we have little need/desire to hit the limiter..MadMike - Thanks for the reminder about head bolts.. I'll call to see they have those on order.

EDIT - the main tech wasn't working today so I have no new update..

ps - good to see ya on the board FastJoyRide! Long time no talk..

Last edited by a moderator:
My limited experience with head gasket failure has been with a Mazda 2L truck engine. The gasket failed between two cylinders and the gas passing between the two cylinders cause erosion of the head itself such that there was a very slight low spot in the surface of the head. Replacing the gasket without milling the head would probably have solved the problem temporarily, but the long term fix required milling the head to ensure a flat surface.

Bummer to hear about this engine mystery Don. We're just back from 2 weeks of sun and fun in Puerto Rico and the southern Caribbean. Rented a Harley Road King for one day in PR, but the passenger "seat" like to kilt Sylvia's butt - I don't see her begging me to sell the Feej any time soon!

It is 70 here today!! The Feej will be coming out of hibernation soon, but first the sleds have to be summerized - after I get back from the mountains in BC - a week tomorrow! :yahoo:

ps - good to see ya on the board FastJoyRide! Long time no talk..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts