Side car for FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that would be ideal but not something she’s comfortable doing.

I’m thinking a Sidecar may be the way to go.

Rent a side-car set up for a month or so, hit the road, get it out of your system, save tons of money, and buy yourself a newer FJR, cuz you know you deserve it!  Why not a Honda Trike Goldwing?  That's my plan when I slide toward my 80's.  Thanks for putting your questions out here!
6532584287_a6e9cc759c_c_d.jpg

A quote from the handbook:

This vehicle is not designed to pull a trailer or to be attached to a sidecar.

While I ignore Yamaha's instructions concerning side cases and top box, I would be very doubtful about attaching a sidecar. The frame is aluminium alloy, designed for stresses mainly in the vertical plain (or rather straight through the centre line - even when cornering hard the stresses are still in the same direction as far as the bike is concerned).

Attaching a sidecar would put considerable sideways stress on the attachment points, as will as side loading on wheels and bearings. They were never designed for this. 

It's not like the good old days when frames were made of steel tubing that was unlikely to fatigue crack (and in any case was probably over-strong since design was much more empirical) and tyres had not a lot of grip.

Sorry for being a smart-aleck in the first response. After I posted it I worried your wife might be handicapped or something, making the sidecar the only option.

If not, I'd do some serious evaluation and experimentation to make sure a sidecar would be less scary to her. If she's ridden in a sidecar and likes that but hates the back seat, that's enough. But if she "thinks" she would be more comfortable in a sidecar without knowing for sure, that is an expensive and risky attempt. My wife rides across the country with me and it's my favorite part of riding. But she's got it in her head she isn't safe without a backrest and won't ride without one. I remind her the KZ1000 we rode when we first got married didn't have a backrest, but you can't argue feelings.

My point is you need to find out what scares her off the backseat (or makes her physically uncomfortable) and see if that will really be different than the sidecar. Or maybe you could approach it slowly with training her on the backseat. I don't mean that in a degrading way, because I'm training myself every day. We just have to work up to things with a process instead of just jumping in.

I know it's not easy. My best riding friends liked what Tammy and I do and got bikes hoping their spouses would ride with them. Then their spouses weren't comfortable beyond going 10 miles to a restaurant once a quarter, so they sold their bikes.  :(

Sidecars are uniquely cool in their own way, so I wish you luck in your investigation.

I'm very interested a side car for my autistic son. Figured I could run a DC plug for his iPad. It can be done. I've seen pictures of them. There are companies that specialize in this but it's not cheap. The FJR's motor can handle the enhanced frame support and the weight. Rims change to more like the spider wheels. Definitely not going to break any speed records but if it gets all 3 of us out riding, it's worth every penny.
PS: No I'm not riding 3 on the fjr. My wife rides her own bike.