Sierra Passes 2013

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInPA

Reaction score
I'm coming back to CA on 4/18 and have been tracking the road conditions for the trip back east. Looks like Monitor Pass is open. I know it's been a very dry winter since January, so having Monitor will make a nice start for heading south on 395 and picking up 120 to sample the "roller coaster" on the way to Bishop and Death Valley on the way out on 4/24-25. Anyone been on the pass yet?

I'll keep looking for Ebbetts, Sonora and Tioga. Last year these all opened in early May. Could be even earlier this year!

SR 89
[iN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.

[iN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
IS CLOSED FROM THE LASSEN VOLCANIC NAT'L PARK SOUTH BDRY TO THE
JCT OF SR 44 /LASSEN LOOP/ (TEHAMA, SHASTA CO) - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS
ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC FROM 1.7 MI NORTH TO 2 MI NORTH OF THE
EL DORADO/PLACER CO LINE 24 HRS A DAY FROM 0600 HRS MONDAY THRU 1200 HRS FRIDAY
THRU 1/1/16 - DUE TO PERMIT WORK - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO
20 MINUTES

Last edited by a moderator:
We tried to ride from Foresthill on Mosquito rd. to Stumpy Meadows and up over Wentworth Springs Rd to Ice House today. Couldn't make it to Stumpy Meadows with too much snow in the shade. There's still some up there above 6k on the back roads.

Doubt you were going this way Tom, just wanted you to know :)

Sigh...no pictures. This thread sucks.

biggrin.png

OK Jason, just for you. Misquito Rd. One can spend an hour riding this twisty canyon road with the river well over a thousand feet down.

IMG_1053_zps5034d15f.jpg

IMG_1054_zpsbe61b452.jpg

IMG_1058_zpsbef42e6e.jpg

My Katoom at rest.

IMG_1059_zps7d956846.jpg

Started to have scary snow across the road and with more elevation ahead we decided to turn around. Ok it wasn't scary but it would get worse and I didn't want to spend the afternoon washing the bike when I got home.

At least we tried the back road for Tom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strong effort Dougie! Wentworth Springs should definitely be in play within the month. It is surprising how long it can take for that and Emmigrant trail to open in Spring. Ebbetts Pass usually opens before Emmigrant Trail by a long period of time. I have been sorely tempted by the KTM after riding my Son In Law's 980 in Hawaii.

There we go...much improved. When you live somewhere flat like Texas and see a thread title like "Sierra Passes 2013 in California" you start picturing it in your head and then you want to see real pictures.
biggrin.png

Strong effort Dougie! Wentworth Springs should definitely be in play within the month. It is surprising how long it can take for that and Emmigrant trail to open in Spring. Ebbetts Pass usually opens before Emmigrant Trail by a long period of time. I have been sorely tempted by the KTM after riding my Son In Law's 980 in Hawaii.
Thanks Tom, they are talking temps close to 90 in Sac by next weekend so I suspect you are correct about the roads opening up soon.

There we go...much improved. When you live somewhere flat like Texas and see a thread title like "Sierra Passes 2013 in California" you start picturing it in your head and then you want to see real pictures.
biggrin.png
Jason, anytime you want to come out west and ride the passes let us know. I'm sure we can make time to show you some of the fun we have in these parts.

One day....one day. Sigh. Been to California twice, and spent the entire time driving big stupid trucks around the Mojave in July. Yuck.