Small Magnetic Tank Bag recomendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenham

Reaction score
I wonder of anyone might have a recommendation for a SMALL magnetic tank bag. I have a LARGE one, a mid size one. something on the order of 10"x 8"x 3" a map pocket would be great but not required.

I just want to keep a few often used items, like wallet, glasses, micro fiber cloth,Plexus, Advil, sunscreen stuff like that.

Any recommendations?

I'd recommend against using one. Stuff gets between the magnets and the paint and scratches result. I used one on my R1200R and got scratches even on matte paint.

I use the Givi lock ring tank bag system. I have a very small bag (about 8"X8") that I use most of the time, and a 20 liter or so I use sometimes on longer trips. The bags come off with the push of a lever and snap on very easily.

I have a Marsee Ciao Boursa bag which is just perfect, holds about 6 liters and has a map pocket on top.

https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/Marsee6LCiaoBorsa/MarseeTankBags#reviews

4678_1955_popup.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cortech Micro Tank bag or Super 2.0 8 Liter seen close to what you are looking for. I've had one of thei 10 Liter magnetic mounts on my '09 for over 5 years with no problems at all. Check Revzilla for some reviews

What Dennis said. I've had a Cortech Super Mini for years. I LOVE this bag. Small stuff fits. Phone, Sena manual, shield cleaner, sometimes my gun and an extra mag. I grab it and take it with me. I can put it in an empty side bag if I need.

As far as scratching the tank, I carry a micro-fiber cloth and a small bottle of quick detailer. I hit the tank with that before I put the bag on, every time. I also check the soft side of the magnets for debris. So far, it's worked well. I have a powered bag that goes on a locking ring. I just haven't installed it yet because I like my Cortech so much.

It does have a clear map pocket. Usually use that for written notes, directions or lists.

Aw Hell...I found a picture and forgot to link it. Here it is:

cortech-super-mini-tank-bag.jpg

That's the same bag I used for 4-5 years. Great bag. Guess I wasn't careful enough to prevent the scratches.

I've used a Joe Rocket Manta tang bag on the FJR for 3 years. It's a cheap bag, but does just what I want since I don't use paper maps. I was worried about scratching the tank so I cut out cabinet liner material and my wife stitched it to the bottom of the bag. It fits like a glove and it won't scratch unless I got a rock or something under it. Has been really good for me.

Magnetic bags are going to scratch eventually. Even with diligent tank wiping, you'll get grit on the magnet surface. Just commit to using a tank bag and that part of the tank will never be visible. Or spend the extra dough and get a tank ring mounted one. I haven't found a tank bag small enough to use with my helibridge and bars pulled back to a somewhat adult position. But I'm still looking. I bought (Craigslist) what turned out to be a ginormous magnetic tank bag, I can't remember who made it. I thought it would be too big for use on anything, but it turns out it's awesome on my old BMW.

I had the cortech mini bag strap mount on a previous bike and wanted one for my FJR with magnetic mount.

I found this at Walmart for half the price $35 and it is basically the same design and features but endorsed by Paul Jr from Orange county choppers.

I believe that cortech makes this bag as it is identical to the cortech with rain cover,map pocket,handle and interior pockets at a great price.

It fits fine with my MV riser, you just can't put it all the way to the front of your tank, mine is set over the tank filler cap and can see the map fine.

The bag is 10-3/4" x 8-7/8" x 6" FYI

k2-_87d78248-c539-421f-be09-0d86305cfbce.v1.jpg
I

That's the same bag I used for 4-5 years. Great bag. Guess I wasn't careful enough to prevent the scratches.
I'm super anal about keeping my tank clean and verifying the lack of grit on the magnets. Whenever I take the bag off, the tank gets cleaned before I put it back on. When I take the bag off, I fold the flaps inward so the magnets stick to the magnets and the contact surface never gets into the dirt. I DO NOT put it down outside, ever! When it comes off for fuel, it goes onto my seat.

What did scratch my bag was the little lanyard. I had it connected under my bars, and the hook scratched my tank up near the very front. Stopped using it after that and no problems since. The bag is small enough that even ugly cross winds don't move it around.

I like that Walmart bag. I would have never thought to look for a tank bag at Walmart...

Whenever I put a tank bag on, magnetic or the Yamaha strapped-on one, I stick some cheap duct tape on the tank wherever the bag or its straps touch (or might touch).

When finished with the bag for a while, I peel off the tape, clean any residue with WD40.

Paint can't be scratched.

Cortech Micro Tank bag or Super 2.0 8 Liter seen close to what you are looking for. I've had one of thei 10 Liter magnetic mounts on my '09 for over 5 years with no problems at all. Check Revzilla for some reviews
Sadly no one seems to stock this in its magnetic 8l version

I had the cortech mini bag strap mount on a previous bike and wanted one for my FJR with magnetic mount.I found this at Walmart for half the price $35 and it is basically the same design and features but endorsed by Paul Jr from Orange county choppers.

I believe that cortech makes this bag as it is identical to the cortech with rain cover,map pocket,handle and interior pockets at a great price.

It fits fine with my MV riser, you just can't put it all the way to the front of your tank, mine is set over the tank filler cap and can see the map fine.

The bag is 10-3/4" x 8-7/8" x 6" FYI

k2-_87d78248-c539-421f-be09-0d86305cfbce.v1.jpg
I
I have a Cortech tail bag and would love a matching tank bag, I can't seem to find the 8L magnetic. Therefore Wal-Mart looks like the winner. Thanks to all who responded with their input. Love the power of the people :_

I second the Cortech Super 2.0 vote.Durable and well designed. Although I like the 12L size as is turns into a backpack.
I'm not anal at all about ensuring there is no FOD on the tank or bag either and after 60,000 miles on a black tank, there isn't a scratch to be seen.

+1 on HRZ's comments about checking the underside of the bag for any debris, folding the flaps under the bag when not in use and never putting the bag down on a surface where it can pick up any debris. On the rare occasion when I rake mine off the bike while on a trip I am extra careful. A small spray bottle of Griot's Garage Speed Shine and a clean cotton cloth live in the bag to help with any mid-trip cleaning. 5 years and no problems yet.

+1 on HRZ's comments about checking the underside of the bag for any debris, folding the flaps under the bag when not in use and never putting the bag down on a surface where it can pick up any debris. On the rare occasion when I rake mine off the bike while on a trip I am extra careful. A small spray bottle of Griot's Garage Speed Shine and a clean cotton cloth live in the bag to help with any mid-trip cleaning. 5 years and no problems yet.
+2 on checking the bag. A few strategically placed pieces of blue painters tape on a clean tank will help at the mag points. I may, however, go to 3M clear protective film for this purpose. I also run the Cortech super mini, and the flapping rubber gab handle actaully effed up the paint on my ZRX. So i zip-tied it up to the bag by punching two small holes in it. I've also thought about just cutting that handle off. I'll take a pic if possible.

Never thought of Walmart either, but here's the link.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/16927986?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227025375627&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=59232554448&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=63786429231&veh=sem

I can't live without my magnetic tank bag (fieldsheer). For a couple years I kept my black paint scratch-free, then I was in Yellowstone early one spring and they had sanded the roads for snow, the grit just got everywhere. Ended up with a bunch of little fine scratches where the forward most magnets go. Then I got a few more. I still try to keep both surfaces clean (tank and bag), but now I've got custom-placed markings to line up the bag lol
smile.png

I've been using this bag for 3 years or so https://firstgear-usa.com/luggage/silverstone-tank-bag.html?___SID=U

I placed circular pieces of clear 3-M protector on the tank matching the magnets on the bag. No scratching. My bars are set back on the MV riser plate with Heli's on top of that and this bag just fits. Holds a lot when expanded. I've used almost every day for 3 years on and off the bike and it's held up really well.