Smart Tire?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutchless1

Reaction score
While reading different posts several have caught my eye. They have to do with Smart Tire? Now I know they are available on cars, from what I'm reading we can have this installed on motorcycles? Is there a special tire and system needed to make this system work on my FJR? If so, where do you get it? And the biggest question is, how much does it cost????

Thanks, clutchless1 :dribble: (I love new stuff)

Smartire is a pressure sensor mounted on the rim inside the tire. It will work with stock FJR rims and with any tire. The tire unit transmits data to a display that's usually mounted on the dash.

Toecutter uses one and swears by it. I'll probably install one with my next set of tires.

i don't remember what i paid but it was $ well spent.

just google their website and you can order it online if your dealer doesn't carry it.

when i brought mine in to be installed my dealer told me that he carried it, so it's worth asking.

derek

I also have the Smartire mounted and really like the convenience of checking the pressure underway. I've found the readings to be dead on when compared to a handheld pressure gauge. The unit is a little bit hard to read in bright sunlight and the backlight doesn't help alot but I would definitely buy it again...especially when purchased at a great price from a gracious forum member :)

A friend put one on a GW1800 after a blowout on the rear. He swears by them now. Be careful with the fix-a-flat stuff. I would think it would plug up the sensor.

Where and how do you get it?
Mike Kolstad, University Motors 866-551-6478 should give you a good price.

Mine saved me a bunch of headache the other day when I picked up a screw in the rear tire.

I'm now seriously considering a system for the cage as well.

Try Vulcan Tire. They seem to be easy to deal with. One odd situation with the SmarTire: They provide a + or - psi rating for your tire in addition to the actual psi and the actual temperature. Unfortunately they calculate the +/- deviation from a set 60 degrees F, instead of ambient. That mens, here in Arizona with 90 degrees ambiant, I get a minus psi deviation. That is, if I pump a tire to 42 psi at 90 degrees and reset the base psi at 42 in the the SmarTire calculator, it figures the 42 psi should be at 60 degrees (but higher at 90 degrees) and gives me a minus deviation of several psi (like -4 psi). The only way to compensate is to pump the tire to 38 psi at 90 degrees F, reset the SmarTire base, then fill it to 42 psi. Then the deviation is close. Oh, well...

Dick Frederick

I got a Tire Watch system instead of the Smart Tire. its a little more expensive but the install is easier. the unit lets you set upper and lower limit alarms for both temperature and pressure. its made by a company in Cypress and I believe this unit will be standard on the Concourse 14. Do a search for Tire Watch here if interested, there is a Forum discount available to members. I have a few hundred miles with it installed, works great

Keone

I installed my smart tire unit about 2 months ago now and cannot believe all bikes do not have this on them stock. I had the yellow warning light come on today when it was -7 pounds and I pulled over and filled up. It is not a slow leak or anything I just found out that the installer set the tire to monitor 46 pounds and when it hit 39 pounds it gave me a yellow error alert. I am now trying to find out where I can set it for 41 front and 41 rear and use that as my benchmark.

UPDATE: I just found out how to program the unit and here is the PDF. Hold the little button as you turn on the ignition (holding for 5 seconds). After that you just need to turn the front tire (I just rolled forward in N) to set the front tire and rode away to set the rear tire.

For the record, I bought this from JC Motors at www.JCMOTORS.com They have a local facility in Irvine and I have been trying to find place where I could start a relationship where I could buy locally. I was pretty happy with the pricing.

Pirelli Diablo Strada Type E Rear Tire $123.00

Pirelli Diablo Strada Extended Mile Front Tire $97.99

Smart Tire Monitoring System $164.99

Angeled Valve Stem (Pair) $29.98

Total $416.95

Last edited by a moderator:
My Smartire just saved me last week...got home from a ride and saw the yellow light on and a -7 pressure for the rear tire. Closer inspection showed a name right thru the center. Thanks Smartire...

Last edited by a moderator:
How well does the Smart Tire hold up to the FJR speeds? It's not uncommon to hit 130+ once in awhile. I'm kinda on the fence about these atm.

Umotors!!!!

I called a month or so back to get a price on the system. If I remember correctly it was $132.

I held off ordering the unit since I was ordering the soltek lights. I will however order it soon.

Umotors!!!!
I called a month or so back to get a price on the system. If I remember correctly it was $132.

I held off ordering the unit since I was ordering the soltek lights. I will however order it soon.
That's a good price because I paid $165ish...

How well does the Smart Tire hold up to the FJR speeds? It's not uncommon to hit 130+ once in awhile. I'm kinda on the fence about these atm.
I hit over 130 often and I have had no problems with the system. Works like a charms and it is fun to watch the tires heat up before I hit the twisties.

I got a Tire Watch system instead of the Smart Tire. its a little more expensive but the install is easier. the unit lets you set upper and lower limit alarms for both temperature and pressure. its made by a company in Cypress and I believe this unit will be standard on the Concourse 14. Do a search for Tire Watch here if interested, there is a Forum discount available to members. I have a few hundred miles with it installed, works great
Keone
Only downside I see to that system (Tire Watch) is that it replaces your existing valve stem and I have 90 degree valve stems that I wouldn't want to go away from. Other than that, equally slick setup.

Rancho

There are few threads on Smart Tire, so i just picked the one that was used last for my question.

Any one ever had an issue with someone trying to rip the unit off your dashboard? how did you secured it. My bike stands in the garage, but I do take trips into the city and leave it either on the street or parking structure. never had any issues, but then again I never had anything like this mounted that I left it there.

Thank you.

Any one ever had an issue with someone trying to rip the unit off your dashboard? how did you secured it. My bike stands in the garage, but I do take trips into the city and leave it either on the street or parking structure. never had any issues, but then again I never had anything like this mounted that I left it there.
Thank you.
Nope... no issues. It's the least obtrusive of the things I have mounted to my handlebars... V1, XM, and GPS are all there too.

How mine is mounted.