Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's been far too long since I did the bacon weave. It was time again.

20160527_185213_zpswzkq9hkg.jpg

It was also a day to try out some new stuff. I haven't done a pork loin on the smoker yet, and certainly have never done the stuffed pork loin. So it was time. Not sure about this one, it came out of the package in two halves which made the work a bit more difficult. I butterflied each half and then put stuffing on them and made the best out of rolling them together.

My wife has found out that she has the old dairy issues, and trying to find a recipe that didn't involve some kind of cheese was difficult. I merged a few recipes knowing our tastes and came up with this. Pineapple, orange bell pepper, onion and some cooked bacon. You can never have too much bacon.

20160527_185323_zpsgxgwi3z6.jpg

Tried my hand at tying it up butcher style. Had to watch a youtube vid but it came out pretty good. I ended up also adding a string around it lengthwise to close up the ends.

20160527_190311_zps7rexskub.jpg

Initially I liked everyone who had their shiny pretty UDS with team logos and such. I'm liking the rust on mine. Keeps it ugly and looking the part. Chimney fired up and about ready to go in.

20160528_123706_zpszvuvc5p7.jpg

I love my UDS. It can hold right here all day long without much intervention from me.

20160528_130150_zpso5o3xdl9.jpg

Having never done a pork loin on the smoker, I allowed far too much time. I also had some thermometer malfunctions as well which made things interesting. It was done very early and a little over the temp I wanted to pull it at. I ended up putting foil over it and stashing it in the oven and then reheated at dinner time. Thankfully it was still pretty moist. I had no complaints and everyone scarfed it down. Learned a bit for next time though, which will be better.

20160528_171442_zpsbewwoouf.jpg

Yeah, those pork loins do cook up quick. But if you have rolled and stuffed it like you did you will want to cook it to a slightly higher temp for food safety reasons. A solid piece of meat is safe to pull at 140F internal

Brisket ready to go, for an overnight smoke
That's a nice looking hunk o' flat. Where did you pick that up? I may do one of those later this summer.

I'm all done trying to cook the whole packers. Too much work and way too much money for too little reward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, Joe. You certainly got a firm bark on it. and the meat looks awesome, which brings up a side question...

When I go out to eat and order the sliced brisket, (I assume it is usually the flat because of the consistent grain of the meat) they always manage to cut the meat directly across the grain, which goes a long way toward making it even more tender in your mouth. My problem has always been figuring out the direction of the grain without just hacking into it and seeing what's what.

Anyone got any good tips on cutting the flats?

I do a test cut and go from there. I can take the test cuts and cut them up into smaller bits (for proper cross grain) for the cook.

Initially I liked everyone who had their shiny pretty UDS with team logos and such. I'm liking the rust on mine. Keeps it ugly and looking the part. Chimney fired up and about ready to go in.

20160528_123706_zpszvuvc5p7.jpg

Jason, you and I are in the same camp. Mine ain't that purty either. It does the job though.

Dave

I was just thinking about posting a link to amazingribs.com and stumbled across this thread!

I picked up a COS from Craigslist for a whole $25 a while back and have been having fun since. I tried the smoker in "stock" form a couple times and with a couple minor mods, quickly realizing it needed a bit more help. I right-sized the fire-box feed-through using Feldon's BBQ calculator (https://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html) and drew up some parts that I had made locally in 1/4" plate. Got out the grinder, sazall and MIG and went a little nuts: cut the fire-box and cook chamber apart and added new pieces that created a correct sized hole between the two chambers. Added a cook-chamber plate to create a true reverse flow set-up, relocated the exhaust tubing and now I have a nicely balanced cook chamber. Still tweaking on the firebox to get control of air leaks but getting there.

I made a pork butt and a brisket (flat only) over the holiday weekend that sure were crowd pleasers. It was my first brisket ever and came out tender as can be. I did the dry brine with kosher salt and used the BIg Bad Beef rub from Amazing Ribs. The pork was just falling apart, it practically pulled itself.

I add a couple pics when I'm on a different computer.

I gotta say gents - this thread is good stuff. Before this, I thought I was a decent BBQ-er. What a humbling experience.

Wouldn't it be cool to have an annual "Ride to Eat the Burnt Meat" event? Each year, someone would volunteer to host. We could ride to that dude's place and eat whatever he decides to burn.

Thanks, Bounce. I'm not doing anything different than I have before so maybe my host has changed something. I can see the pics in the editor but they just will not post.

Thanks, Bounce. I'm not doing anything different than I have before so maybe my host has changed something. I can see the pics in the editor but they just will not post.
Go into your browser settings and find the "return to default" config button/option and see if that helps. Also clear it's cache. These 2 things often help.

I gotta say gents - this thread is good stuff. Before this, I thought I was a decent BBQ-er. What a humbling experience.
Wouldn't it be cool to have an annual "Ride to Eat the Burnt Meat" event? Each year, someone would volunteer to host. We could ride to that dude's place and eat whatever he decides to burn.
RFH surely has told you about his SS1K. I sure wish the event he showed up at was still going, but I understand the difficulties in running it.

2012-07-14112359.jpg

IMG_7422.jpg

I use a LOT of jalapenos...LOL! No they are actually insulated BBQ gloves and I highly recommend them. You can't use them for handling the fire but they're fantastic for handling the cooking/cooked meat.

While that might interest the handful of us on this thread who've been bitten by the BBQ bug, it probably wouldn't have as widespread of an appeal as we'd imagine. Probably a better way to go would be to pick an existing regional gathering and find a way to drag along a smoker (or two) to one of those. You could pick one day to cook up a mess of whatever your specialty BBQ is, enough for the crowd on hand, and I'm sure that if you put a cash jar at the start of the dinner line you'd have more money than you spent when it was all gone.

PS - BackintheSaddle, I'm not seeing your photos and can't link to them either.

Latest posts