Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta say gents - this thread is good stuff. Before this, I thought I was a decent BBQ-er. What a humbling experience.
Wouldn't it be cool to have an annual "Ride to Eat the Burnt Meat" event? Each year, someone would volunteer to host. We could ride to that dude's place and eat whatever he decides to burn.
While that might interest the handful of us on this thread who've been bitten by the BBQ bug, it probably wouldn't have as widespread of an appeal as we'd imagine. Probably a better way to go would be to pick an existing regional gathering and find a way to drag along a smoker (or two) to one of those. You could pick one day to cook up a mess of whatever your specialty BBQ is, enough for the crowd on hand, and I'm sure that if you put a cash jar at the start of the dinner line you'd have more money than you spent when it was all gone.
Never thought of taking up a collection Fred...everyone enjoying the Q, has always been rewarding enough.

I gotta say gents - this thread is good stuff. Before this, I thought I was a decent BBQ-er. What a humbling experience.
Wouldn't it be cool to have an annual "Ride to Eat the Burnt Meat" event? Each year, someone would volunteer to host. We could ride to that dude's place and eat whatever he decides to burn.
While that might interest the handful of us on this thread who've been bitten by the BBQ bug, it probably wouldn't have as widespread of an appeal as we'd imagine. Probably a better way to go would be to pick an existing regional gathering and find a way to drag along a smoker (or two) to one of those. You could pick one day to cook up a mess of whatever your specialty BBQ is, enough for the crowd on hand, and I'm sure that if you put a cash jar at the start of the dinner line you'd have more money than you spent when it was all gone.

PS - BackintheSaddle, I'm not seeing your photos and can't link to them either.
Not sure what to make of that Fred, I can see them on multiple devices and it appears that others can see them on here (glove comment)?!? Bounce, any thoughts?

I see nothing....but a long box with a whole bunch of numbers in it. If I click on one it looks like it's trying to load something... But it ever does...(this on my IPhone 6+)

Never thought of taking up a collection Fred...everyone enjoying the Q, has always been rewarding enough.
That would work for a little ramble where you can just pull a good sized pork shoulder and feed ~20 people. If we are talking EOM sized turnout it would be a lot more Que, and the people would be looking for all the fixin's to go with it. If you were doing ribs or brisket you'd go broke.

I see nothing....but a long box with a whole bunch of numbers in it. If I click on one it looks like it's trying to load something... But it ever does...(this on my IPhone 6+)
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing. If I copy the link and paste it into a new browser window I get nuttin' but a blank screen there too.

Here are the massively long links I'm seeing:

https://zaslag-sn3301.files.1drv.com/y3p2pN0iD6_hugXmYsYhAsEiNGBKifx3dEN5HRHTYdRojKR8_1IB5wnGyO93DPMKURmnoPLK3YKsXYAmYTuTBD9HTnaqKUdlxff8EcLkJlR8EENsevTV613pjxRXh6X1Zq--7stWabdljh6byBubpQhyMshwl8n42jtwfzk62pjuGI/13335866_253085638381628_414334147716728498_n.jpg?psid=1

https://zaurpa-sn3301.files.1drv.com/y3pOWnEC05CGlI57OUwOSYrxV7yRtKfAg9gmrFh-DUGU-ndf2vhM9nTby-FmWrJrkOXs2QkQyKrvtIfoGN1qVvu9D6Ff4AG7VlOFt-MZLCUc71x7IZyTXpKGIsJMbhBjdbd5lQHw8B4YutF03IdAcURkA/13254498_253085541714971_6919776298191183162_n%20%281%29.jpg?psid=1

https://eippzw-sn3301.files.1drv.com/y3pr-zzvbliPc44M7s1zljWfAwcnU39Kj5QaozdFf9YAgHl63dn8y1bRYI4ArwAqEr4L0-J5Q27dn8-CWornD9Snn_gEuJnN4TfN7uODTW3PeTIgEQcLkdUOEX4DLnrdhJDckwCpMB5GGwBOFTm-biJl7WIrLuoFzYDhKEUGPLC35w/13315353_253085591714966_5230405359266635068_n.jpg?psid=1

https://zav2xw-sn3301.files.1drv.com/y3pAX-2ddQByaaF1MqyMhVOloImY4MA1wKErb4jv42Qmi1sHweD7CKmDPVcVa_RYVy-4kgkuYAN40zz7WtzvLdVuud0uyjaivTqAVDTuWBYXi_G7cE1OhTnMMGGXOjidOjvgXqYzSckE-qk0g65sJtVoiEh2vMpZB2Znyxchj8gC_8/13307390_253085675048291_6972220964101253675_n.jpg?psid=1

What is "https://zaslag-sn3301.files.1drv.com"?

Last edited by a moderator:
That would work for a little ramble where you can just pull a good sized pork shoulder and feed ~20 people. If we are talking EOM sized turnout it would be a lot more Que, and the people would be looking for all the fixin's to go with it. If you were doing ribs or brisket you'd go broke.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing. If I copy the link and paste it into a new browser window I get nuttin' but a blank screen there too.

Here are the massively long links I'm seeing:

https://zaslag-sn3301.files.1drv.com/y3p2pN0iD6_hugXmYsYhAsEiNGBKifx3dEN5HRHTYdRojKR8_1IB5wnGyO93DPMKURmnoPLK3YKsXYAmYTuTBD9HTnaqKUdlxff8EcLkJlR8EENsevTV613pjxRXh6X1Zq--7stWabdljh6byBubpQhyMshwl8n42jtwfzk62pjuGI/13335866_253085638381628_414334147716728498_n.jpg?psid=1

https://zaurpa-sn3301.files.1drv.com/y3pOWnEC05CGlI57OUwOSYrxV7yRtKfAg9gmrFh-DUGU-ndf2vhM9nTby-FmWrJrkOXs2QkQyKrvtIfoGN1qVvu9D6Ff4AG7VlOFt-MZLCUc71x7IZyTXpKGIsJMbhBjdbd5lQHw8B4YutF03IdAcURkA/13254498_253085541714971_6919776298191183162_n%20%281%29.jpg?psid=1

https://eippzw-sn3301.files.1drv.com/y3pr-zzvbliPc44M7s1zljWfAwcnU39Kj5QaozdFf9YAgHl63dn8y1bRYI4ArwAqEr4L0-J5Q27dn8-CWornD9Snn_gEuJnN4TfN7uODTW3PeTIgEQcLkdUOEX4DLnrdhJDckwCpMB5GGwBOFTm-biJl7WIrLuoFzYDhKEUGPLC35w/13315353_253085591714966_5230405359266635068_n.jpg?psid=1

https://zav2xw-sn3301.files.1drv.com/y3pAX-2ddQByaaF1MqyMhVOloImY4MA1wKErb4jv42Qmi1sHweD7CKmDPVcVa_RYVy-4kgkuYAN40zz7WtzvLdVuud0uyjaivTqAVDTuWBYXi_G7cE1OhTnMMGGXOjidOjvgXqYzSckE-qk0g65sJtVoiEh2vMpZB2Znyxchj8gC_8/13307390_253085675048291_6972220964101253675_n.jpg?psid=1

What is "https://zaslag-sn3301.files.1drv.com"?
I agree the links were ridiculously long, not sure why. But when I click on them with my 'Droid it goes right to the pic.

I'll take a look again tonight from home since I can't get to the server from my work machine.

Yeah...I wasn't talking about catering a shindig like EOM...you'd need a big smoker on a trailer, and probably a few cases of ribs, along with sides...but if someone was willing to fund it, I'd probably cook up the ribs.
punk.gif

For the BBQ event I posted, I think we had about 80-100 show up. One guy hosted it at his house and two other guys hauled in their bbq trailers and supplied the meat. Others brought sides.

The two guys who did the cooking and providing are the kind of guys who would do it for the smiles and nothing else. That's why the host put out a collection can and strongly urged everyone to donate, with the money going to the cooks alone. I'm pretty certain they recouped their expenses and then some.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Not that you're in it for the cash, but if it's a wash it's a win for everyone.

Going a bit further down that road... We were out riding around this past weekend with Mr and Mrs ionbeam, who I knew from their prior enjoyment of my BBQ were both fans of the burnt meats. Since we were in the neighborhood, I stopped in at Curtis' All American BBQ in Putney VT, for a little noon time nosh.

Curtis' BBQ is an eclectic little business. He's an older gent from down south somewhere that moved up to Vermont and set up a roadside BBQ stand. Over the years it has grown in reputation and the number of customers he serves, but he still cooks outdoors on an open pit, and the food serving is done out of a couple of old school buses painted bright blue, that have been there so long the wheels have sunk in the dirt up to their axles.

The food is OK, not great. But I'll take OK BBQ over a lot of other OK fare. The kicker is the guy is doing pretty well, even with only so-so Que, always busy on the weekends, and a steady lunch time crowd in the weekdays, and this is out in BFE Vermont, the second least populated state in the country. It wouldn't be very hard to turn your little hobby passion for good smoked foods into a cash cow. You'd be working your tail off, but if that's what you like to do... like Curtis apparently since he is on that pit every single day of the warm weather months that he's open, then how bad would that be?

Here's Curtis

13178824_1030571833656780_1030652131603872496_n.jpg

PS - BackintheSaddle, I'm not seeing your photos and can't link to them either.
Not sure what to make of that Fred, I can see them on multiple devices and it appears that others can see them on here (glove comment)?!? Bounce, any thoughts?
Dunno but with others not having a problem, it's on the client (phone) side. I don't use my iPhone or iPad to view the forum except when traveling but don't have these problems. As with all browsers, go into the settings and clear all history and cache's to see if there's something hung up in there.

The main different with iPhones (at first) was that Job refused to support Java. It's turned out he knew a little something about some things and now even Adobe has announced it will deprecate Java. HTML5 is being rolled out and Java is dead or dying. I don't install it on laptops or desktops for security reasons. Since I can see these things, it's not a Java issue.

Since pic views have to end in something like JPG, strip off everything past that (?psid=1) and see if that then works. That code is used to feed info back to a web page (as in "jump to location 1"). The referenced site is zaslag(something).files.1drv.com so I assume it's a link to a OneDrive location instead of something like Photobucket. One thing to check is that the files and folders are set for public viewing.

I actually saw the pictures the first time, and it only looks a fraction as good as it probably tastes! What are you cooking on?

BTW, I need to get some of those gloves. In the past two weeks I have earned blisters from soldering copper pipe when the solder dripped on my knuckle, and another good one when the heat gun i was using to melt an ice maker dropped off the fridge, and by reflex, i reached out to catch it...ouch! Hot meat is mild by comparison.

Pictures, what pictures?
fool.gif

Smoker - "I picked up a COS (regular old Brinkman) from Craigslist for a whole $25 a while back and have been having fun since. I tried the smoker in "stock" form a couple times and with a couple minor mods, quickly realizing it needed a bit more help. I right-sized the fire-box feed-through using Feldon's BBQ calculator (https://www.feldoncen...calculator.html) and drew up some parts that I had made locally in 1/4" plate. Got out the grinder, sazall and MIG and went a little nuts: cut the fire-box and cook chamber apart and added new pieces that created a correct sized hole between the two chambers. Added a cook-chamber plate to create a true reverse flow set-up, relocated the exhaust tubing and now I have a nicely balanced cook chamber. Still tweaking on the firebox to get control of air leaks but getting there."

Get the gloves, totally worth it. I also have some "pit gloves" that are knit nomex/kevlar that are even more heat resistant but they aren't meat-juice proof like the ones in the pictures.

Photobucket pics work fine.
wink.png

That's a real nice lookin' Ho'F. I think you've just laid down the virtual gauntlet (or is that rubber glove?)

Now I'm going to have to go out and find a nice Brisket Flat to smoke up this weekend.

I right-sized the fire-box feed-through using Feldon's BBQ calculator (https://www.feldoncen...calculator.html) and drew up some parts that I had made locally in 1/4" plate.
Thanks for that link! Bookmarked it for future reference.
wink.png

I ran the dimensions of my OK Joe HIghland through the calculator. The last cook that I did using a combination of lump charcoal and some wood splits I found I was not moving enough smoke through the cook chamber, and had to leave the inlet door to the firebox open several times to get it moving again, especially after adding some wood.

The calculator confirmed my suspicions: One, that the inlet is undersized at only a maximum of 7 sq. in. (reco was 10.5), and secondly that my 3" (2 3/4" I.D.) chimney is too short at 17" (reco is 25"). The communication opening between FB and CC is considerably bigger than is needed, but with nearly half of it blocked off by the baffle plate I have in there it should be OK.

Here's my Dimensions in Feldon's Calculator

I suspect that the reason for the chimney length and inlet opening being undersized is that the manufacturer expects you to use charcoal briquettes, which require less airflow. Using lump char and wood splits will require more air in and more draw at the exhaust to get it. Time to get busy!

I too saw it the first time as well as on Photobucket. Those who couldn't see the first one or the Photobucket one should look at their local machine and ISP for a solution. If at work, try doing personal stuff at home and see if it fixes things. Many office networks block high bandwidth traffic because it clogs the network they pay to get work done on.

The photobucket images worked fine for me....

+1 on the gloves. I been using the a pair of silicone mitts that I've had for awhile ...they are similar to these:

https://m.kmart.com/progressive-silicone-oven-mitt-red/p-00840663000P

Only problem with them is they are not insulated. The thickness of the glove will allow you to pull a hot pan out of the oven and put it down, but if you try holding on to it for any longer...(say over 10 seconds) it'll get hot....not a real issue as you usually don't need to hold on that long. The surface texture does afford a good grip, and they are waterproof and clean up fine, although you might need a soft brush to get sauce out of the tiny ridges.

I did solve the problem of the insulation by wearing a pair of "fillet gloves" inside the mitts. These are those Kevlar weave gloves you by at a tackle store to protect your hands from sharp knives when cleaning fish. I have used the combo for turning over or removing meat from my smoker (much more secure than using spatulas or tongs)

If you google "silicone oven mitts" there are similar types sold that not only might have some better insulation...(thicker?) but also are fingered gloves as opposed to mitts ...marketed specifically for grilling/smoking. I'll likely buy a pair of those.....

Was picking up some earl filters at VIP auto and went through the exhaust section, found this.

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

It's a perfect slip-on fit on top of the original 3" OD exhaust pipe, and at 18" is more than long enough. Might actually end up trimming it down a little, but not until after I rework the exhaust pick-up inside the cooking chamber.

I want to make a rectangular box that will draw from below the grate level, so the extra draft from this extension will probably come in handy then. The 3" tailpipe was about $5. Of course, it will get painted. Maybe even make a rain cap.

The smoker farkles just never end...

Picked up tomorrow's guest of honor. a nice 7 1/2 lb (before trimming) USDA Choice Brisket flat. It has some really nice striation in the meat grain.

IMG_0974.jpg

I'm extremely optimistic about tomorrow's outcome. Here's Bessie after trimming, dry brining, and laying on a nice coating of Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub. I retained a few extra tablespoons of the rub for sprinkling on after the crutch.

IMG_0975.jpg

Going to have to start this puppy before dawn tomorrow for it to be ready for a late dinner feast. I'll be cooking it on the Ugly Drum as it holds its low and slow temps better and longer with less fussing. But I still don't trust it for an overnight smoke (yet).

How can you tell? I didn't see anything on the outside of the cryovac bag except USDA Prime. Just checked the bag again, nothing indicating a packing date. Yeah it would be nice if wit was wet aged. I don't have the patience for that. ;)