So That's What My FJR Sounds Like On The Highway

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The V-Stream was the first Farkle I did on my bike. I knew on my ride home that the stocker was not going to work with my 6'5 height. I like the V-stream but would like about 2-3 more inches in height. If I could find that windscreen I would be in Hog's heaven. I still get alot of wind noise with my V-Stream. Not real impressed with my HJC Modular helmet either. That might be part of the problem. Not sure how the HJC is rated for noise but it's pretty noisy inside.....

I think I will use the factory windshield in the summer and the V-Stream in the cooler weather. It's nice having a choice.

I have been doing this for the past two summers - highly recommended. I just popped the V-Stream back on this past week due to the chilly mornings now. Just pre-purchase a few extra screen screws to keep on hand for the occassional strip out.

My VStream will be here tomorrow I sure hope I like it as much everyone here does.

You will, I'm certain. The other thing that is cool for me (at 6') is that I can now move the seat to the higher position, which is more comfortable for me, without being wind blasted.

Installed the VStream last night and rode the bike to work today. The noise and buffeting reduction is significant, this shield is much bigger than the stock on length and width; but the top edge raises to just cover my line of sight smack in the middle of the road.

I still have to take it on a longer trip and evaluate it further, but for now I have mixed feelings about it: Sure it removes wind noise and buffeting, but obstructs my view of the road... kind of a bit of a problem.

Installed the VStream last night and rode the bike to work today. The noise and buffeting reduction is significant, this shield is much bigger than the stock on length and width; but the top edge raises to just cover my line of sight smack in the middle of the road.
I still have to take it on a longer trip and evaluate it further, but for now I have mixed feelings about it: Sure it removes wind noise and buffeting, but obstructs my view of the road... kind of a bit of a problem.

I agree, that doesn't sound great. I have to raise the shield a fair amount (1/2 way?) before it interferes with my line of sight. I've found, after a week or so of riding with it, that there is a sweet spot just below my line of site that gives me the best wind / noise protection but still allows the scoops on my RF1000 to pick up a little air. I suppose some of this is a simple matter of how tall the rider is? If you are getting the shield top in your line of sight when it is in the lowest (power on) position, could you put the seat in the upper position to solve this? Or would that result in you being uncomfortably high on the bike?

The stocker doesn't work for me because there's way to much buffeting in any position except down, at which point I'm getting major wind blast. The Vstream was the first shield I bought for my 07 and I really like it. Used it all last winter. For summer use I wanted something minimal in size, but that still offered the ability to smoothly block wind when up. I decided on a Cee Baileys windshield with stock width, but 2 inch added height and flip. The flip is key to smoothing air in my experience. Where the Vstream requires me to raise it up where I'm almost looking through it to get quiet, the Cee Bailey gets quiet well below that height. That flip really helps direct the airflow up over your head.

I just reinstalled the Vstream before my SaddleSore 1000 ride last week and although it worked good, I'm now having second thoughts on it. I'm fairly certain that a Cee Bailey shield with 4 inches extra width and 4 inches extra height with flip would work much better than the Vstream of similar dimensions because you wouldn't need to raise it up as much to get that quiet zone. But I don't have $180 to spend on another shield, so I'm sticking with what I have for now.

I purchased one from www.PowersportSuperstore.com on the recommendation from a few riders at EOM. It was delivered to my door step the very next day. I took it out for test ride and WOW, I love this shield! I'm currently running the Yamaha Touring Shield and thought it was a much improvement over the stocker. This V-Stream is sweeeeeet!

I highly recommend this place for purchase.

Smoke

Just put the new V-stream on this past Friday night, and then put 700 miles on the bike Saturday and Sunday. What a huge difference this shield makes. Like the original post said, I could hear what the bike sounded like at highway speeds for the first time. After putting the V-stream on, I just needed to raise it about halfway up to get all the buffeting to go away and still get a good view over the screen. I can't say enough about how much quieter it is...too bad the bike looks better with the old one. Function over form in this case.

Starting to get chilly out there in the mornings and evenings, time to find some different clothes.

I just got my Vstream in today and finsihed a 20 mile test a few minutes ago. WOW! Why did I wait so long?! I know that opinions on windscreens are about as varied as oil and helmets but I gotta say I got this one right.

The Skyway spacers in my stocker helped a tad as did a new helmet but damn, this things rocks. No noise whatsoever when extended maybe 25% up. Even when down all the way I get very little noise with no need for earplugs. No buffeting at any angle. OK, so it's big and could almost double as a barn door if it were paingted red but it actually doesnt look too bad once installed.

BTW, I ordered it Thursday from Powersportsuuperstore for $121 plus shipping ($131 delivered) and got it Monday.

For anyone considering one here are my stats/setup

Sportrider.com suspension settings for gen 1

Helibars

Stock seat

skyway spacers (will try it without them next week to see if there is a marked difference)

32' inseam, 6' tall 167lbs

arm length ~32-33" (jacket size)

Glad you like your v-stream Doug. I love mine and will it will be even better in cool weather riding.

Let's get together and ride soon.

Bill

The stocker doesn't work for me because there's way to much buffeting in any position except down, at which point I'm getting major wind blast. The Vstream was the first shield I bought for my 07 and I really like it. Used it all last winter. For summer use I wanted something minimal in size, but that still offered the ability to smoothly block wind when up. I decided on a Cee Baileys windshield with stock width, but 2 inch added height and flip. The flip is key to smoothing air in my experience. Where the Vstream requires me to raise it up where I'm almost looking through it to get quiet, the Cee Bailey gets quiet well below that height. That flip really helps direct the airflow up over your head.
I just reinstalled the Vstream before my SaddleSore 1000 ride last week and although it worked good, I'm now having second thoughts on it. I'm fairly certain that a Cee Bailey shield with 4 inches extra width and 4 inches extra height with flip would work much better than the Vstream of similar dimensions because you wouldn't need to raise it up as much to get that quiet zone. But I don't have $180 to spend on another shield, so I'm sticking with what I have for now.
Hi I'm 6-2 and wondering if the +2 would work. I find if I duck down about 2" below the stock unit when it is fully up, it quiets down. Thanks!

Bought my V Stream a year ago and love it for the colder months. I switch to a stock shield with a Laminar Lip in summer, which is awesome - great airflow with no buffeting at all. I'm 6' tall, 32 inseam, I use both shields with Skyway spacers and the two set-ups work for me.

One comment on the V Stream is that the holes are drilled slightly off for mounting on my 2004, which makes fitting it a little difficult. I think the added stress of threading the nylon bolts under lateral tension (to make the holes line up) takes it's toll on them, plus the heads strip out pretty quickly. For peace of mind and $1.50, I replace the nylon bolts when I change over.