So what's it like to ride an AE FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poprocks

Reaction score
I think I like the concept. And I've read and reread article after article, but have never ridden one and it's not like the dealers have them laying around to test ride. Least not around here.

I don't fight stop and go traffic, and I don't superslab for great distances.

I commute, I cruise around with the Wife/or kids. I make a yearly trip down to Deals Gap, and I make a trip or two out to the wonderful, twisty, country roads of western Wisconsin each year. I'm not a real technical rider per se', but I know what the heck I'm doing. I guess I ride an equal mix of flat roads and twisties. Is the AE a good choice?

Once my VFR sells, I will pull the trigger on a new FJR, which model I haven't quite decided yet, both appeal to me, but I've seen outstanding prices on the AE's, so I'd REALLY appreciate your opinions. Both pro's and con's. I'm here to learn.

Thanks in advance!

I have an 04, but test rode an AE @WFO in Reno. I can't see myself wanting one unless I was doing a lot of stop & go stuff. It was a bit strange at first, but easy to adapt to. If it was cheaper than a regular shift model I might think about it, but not for a premium. I enjoy shifting, and can shift smoother than an AE when I try to, but do like the snap of a quick shift from time to time :) .

I have one and really like it , I got a good deal on a 2008. I decided to go with the AE as I have a rod in my ankle and my left hand has been busted up pretty bad in the past too. I thought it would help with fatigue, which it does very well. However I find I use the foot shifter most of the time as it turned out to be a non-issue for me, vs. the "finger flicker". It is nice to not have to pull in and out the clutch , and is one less thing to deal with while riding. The shifting is very smooth about as good as I can do on a regular bike. I would not hesitate to get one again if I could get a good deal. The price premium is steep, but if you shop around good deals can be had.

There's a few threads on here that talk about the pros and cons... I've had an '06 AE that I bought in the crate in Jan 08 for an unbelievable price, and in a year and a half I've logged close to 40,000 kms on it. That's ... um... something like 25,000 miles.

I like it. It took all of one ride to not miss the clutch. It took a few more to master the "rear brake, revs higher" mode for doing low-speed stuff. For most riding, and for the kind of stuff you describe, I doubt you'd notice any difference between the A and AE models.

There are lots of opinions on the AE, mostly from folks who haven't ridden one, and good percentage of those don't want to because there's no clutch lever. That's fine, and everyone's entitled to an opinion, which is great. All I can say is if something happened to mine, I'd look for another in a heartbeat. If that means my 'man crumpets' aren't as big as someone else who has a clutch lever... well I reckon I'm old enough now to get over that.

If you can get one and the price is right, I'd say have at. But then again, I'm hopelessly biased, and my man crumpets are tiny.... :blink:

Griff

I have ridden an '06 AE for a short distance. It is certainly different than riding with a clutch lever. The 'pause' before the drive train engages is the only thing I noticed. Neither better nor worse than a clutch, just different.

I have an 08 AE. Just broke 1000 miles. I traded in my 06 Honda Shadow Aero (my first bike, had it about 6 months). I missed the clutch at first, especially for low speed stuff. Now, as I got used to the AE, I would take either clutch or no clutch. I barely, if ever, use the handlebar controls for shifting and use the foot peg all the time.

Would I pay a premium for the AE over the A if given the chance again? Probably not. But if they were the same price, I'd take the AE again.

Thank you all very much. That is exactly why I asked, your opinions are very helpful. The best deals I've been seeing are on the AE's, I really can't think of a reason why I'd miss the clutch. The twist and go and click-click-click certainly has an appeal to me, and once I get used to it, I can't help but thinking it'd be a blast.

Thanks again and all other opinions are more than welcome!

Todd

I've got 31K+ on mine and I've gotten no complaints about the size of my crumpets!! :rolleyes: If you get the AE, it will take you less than a couple of hours of

riding to master the slow speed stuff and you'll stop honking your horn when wanting to downshift. After that, you will thank yourself over and over and over

again for getting it. I posted on a recent thread about the RIDER Magazine article that it will feel like riding on a Formula 1 racer on two wheels. You are really

going to love that sensation. Synchronizing your finger with the throttle is no different than it would be the clutch lever. JUST BETTER! It will become fluid motion

in no time. If you're getting a good deal on it, I'd jump on that like a Pit Bull!! I paid full price for mine and when it dies, it will take me 20 minutes to order a

new one. The AE handles most excellently in both stop & go and open asphalt so there is no down side to this bike. I don't think I've heard one AE owner yet

who regrets buying one. YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS BIKE!! :yahoo: That is my Not So Humble Opinion!! :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a BMW M3 Cabriolet with the SMG transmission. I have two paddles located on my steering wheel that I use to upshift and downshift, just like Formula One. There is a clutch, just no heavy clutch pedal; I can control my RPM’s and shifts without ever having to take my hands off the wheel. It’s great for fast, twisty North Georgia mountain roads and also for stop and go commuting. I love it……

The main thing that appealed to me about the FJR (among many) was the AE system.

I, like you, never got to test-drive the bike, but I did diligent research, mostly on this Forum and I bought an ‘06 AE with 2800 miles for $7200 and I couldn’t be happier. It is very similar to my M3, with effortless control over shifting points and RPM’s. I personally feel more comfortable and confident with one less thing to worry about as I drive through crazy Atlanta traffic.

I know this subject creates quite a bit of passion and debate on this Forum, and everyone is certainly entitled to his or her opinion, but I love my AE and would definitely buy another. Just shop for a good deal and I think you will be very happy.

Good Luck and let us know of your decision.

I have an 06' AE and love it. I also ride dirt bikes so I have to go from clutch leverless to clutch lever riding with much regret. I have come to wonder why dirt bikes have not gone to this type of shifting. I have never missed a shift on the AE. NEVER! You can't even if you wanted to. Missing shifts while bouncing over terain happens all the time on the dirt bikes. Don't think that this type of shifting is only for city traffic type riding. It is quite a pleasure to just flick a lever to instantly shift either up or down. Every shift is fast and accurate. And a computor controled clutch/shift is much faster than a person can pull in a clutch lever and release it while pushing down on the shift lever with your foot.

I just flipped 2000 miles on my 08 AE on the way to work this morning. Unlike some of the posters,I almost never use the foot shifter. Flicking off smooth shifts with the bar shifter is much more fun! Though it does take a little practice to perfect the technique. When I started researching the FJR, I thought the AE concept was really cool,but I wasn't going to pay the premium for it. Then I found one at a great price,cheaper than I could find an A,so I jumped on it. No regrets whatsoever. If you haven't checked ebay yet,take a look. Several dealers are listing brand new 08 AEs for under $11k. I bought mine from Heinen's in MN,smooth transaction.

Mike

8500 miles on my 06 AE. I never use the foot shifter. If you are the type of person who likes something different, go for it. I bought mine used for $10K from a motivated seller about two years ago. I also purchased the 5 year warranty which turned out to be a good thing. There was a recall on the shifting mechanism and it is possible that the dealer from the original owner did not perform the work well. The dealer here in Huntington Beach did a great job in fixing it after it failed with me - got stuck in 1st gear.

see

https://www.fjriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2723

All-in-all, I too would get another AE since it is fun to shift at the handle bar. And as others have mentioned, it does take a little practice to perfect the technique. There are some tips that you need to know though.

1) NEVER try to rev it (or blip the throttle) while at a stop light thinking you have the clutch pulled in - the bike will take off.

2) If you ever do have a problem with the shifting mechanism, as is mentioned in the manual, put the bike on the center stand and while rocking the rear wheel, move or jiggle (I know - high tech term) the shift rod to change gears.

Have fun !

Had mine for 7 months now and absolutely love it. I was a little aprehensive about buying it but decided to take a chance and I am very glad I did. I don't miss the clutch lever and haven't found a situation yet where I wished I had one. When it comes time to replace my 06, another AE model will be on the top of the list.

I have an 06' AE and love it. I also ride dirt bikes so I have to go from clutch leverless to clutch lever riding with much regret. I have come to wonder why dirt bikes have not gone to this type of shifting. I have never missed a shift on the AE. NEVER! You can't even if you wanted to. Missing shifts while bouncing over terain happens all the time on the dirt bikes. Don't think that this type of shifting is only for city traffic type riding. It is quite a pleasure to just flick a lever to instantly shift either up or down. Every shift is fast and accurate. And a computor controled clutch/shift is much faster than a person can pull in a clutch lever and release it while pushing down on the shift lever with your foot.
+1

However, I compare the AE to the old two stroke MX bikes like the RM125. On that bike, you use the clutch the first three feet then never touch it again, simply back off a scosh and touch the shifter.

I'd get another one today! Look around for a good deal as they are "preceived" as odd ball machines and so are often discounted

I got an AE because that's all the dealer had and he couldn't move it because it had no clutch lever. I enjoy not having a cramped left hand in heavy traffic. Once you get used to riding the rear brake with the rev's up for slow speed manuvers it's like any other bike. Quick launches are just fine. I will leave the burn outs and wheelies for the very experienced riders, I can't afford to damage my daily commuter doing fun stuff like that.

I agree with all the comments and would not hesitate to purchase an AE model again. One thing I didn't see mentioned is the stock heated grips on the AE version which I love. Coming from a BMW and riding year around in WA I knew I wanted that feature and the fact that it was already on the bike was great. So if you can find one for same price or cheaper than "A" version go for it. Even a small premium (considering the cost of heated grips and install) I would buy it again.

Which ever you decide enjoy the new bike!

Just do it you won't regret it, I love my 07ae don't miss the clutch lever at all its a fun to use the lever on the handlebars I hardly ever use the foot shifter.

I'll add another 'ME TOO'. I wasn't particularly looking for one, but I love it. Been riding all my life, clutch is second nature, but the AE is very cool.

Would buy another if something happened to this one.

Latest posts