SOCAL FJR Riders October Ride - October 18, 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, sorry this took so long, but it will be worth it. The ride date is October 18, 2008. I got some good input from Pegscraper and MsNascar for a great restaurant in Palm Desert so I changed the original I had in my route. I have pulled it all together and here are the details. We'll call this one the Palms to the Pines to the Sea (Salton that is) to Pie, yes good old Mom's Apple Pie as the topping on the ride so to speak.

The San Diego group will meet at the Starbucks on Del Lago at 7:00am with Kick Stands Up at 7:30am. We will then ride up to Banning and meet the Los Angeles/Riverside area group at the Starbucks in Banning at 9:00am. There is an Arco gas station right next door so we can gas up and then KSU at 9:30am. We ride from Banning up to Idylwild then back down to Palm desert on the Palms to Pines Highway. Once in Palm Desert, we stop on the 111 for lunch at the Elephant Bar and Restaurant. That will be at 11:00am, once I get a good head count, I will call ahead and make sure they are ready for us, KSU from here will be 12:30pm. We will then finish it up with a 150 mile run south along the Eastern edge of the Salton Sea then turn West in Brawley head back North and then West again to Banner Grade and into Julian for some good ole Mom's Apple Pie. We should arrive in Julian at around 3:10pm or so. We eat, say our goodbyes and then everyone heads home their own twisted little way.

I am posting a google map link below. I built the route originally in Mapsource and City Navigator 2009 so if anyone wants the files in .gpx/.mps/.gdb format email me for them at dave_lindberg at cox dot net.

Map:

OctoberPalmstoPinestoSeatoPieRid-1.jpg

Link:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=....460938&z=9

Locations:

Starbucks, 3440 Del Lago Blvd, Escondido, CA 92029; KSU 7:30am

Starbucks, 2270 W. Ramsey St., Banning, CA 92220 and Arco, 2228 W. Ramsey St., Banning, CA 92220; KSU 9:30am

Elephant Bar & Restaurant, 73833 Highway 111, Palm Desert, CA 92260; KSU 12:30pm

Mom's Pie House, 2119 Main St., Julian, CA 92036; KSU whenever you feel the urge to head home.

A little bit of refresher reading before this group ride would be recommended, the following links should be helpful and have been in several other group ride posts:

The Pace:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashbac...tsch/index.html

and a link to a follow-up article by the same author:

https://micapeak.com/info/thepace.html

Finally, here's a link to a great post by Andrew Knight from December, 2006:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=14966

Confirmed Riders:

Low Level FJR Pilot
Neil San Diego minus Janet
Pegscraper and MsNASCAR

Maybe:

Fairlaner (possibly Palms to Pines to Palms)
Sorry can't make it:

Silver Penguin
Minuteman
Yorkmeister

Meet for Lunch:

Jorstin and friends

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that looks like a fun ride. I've done Pines to Palms a few times and enjoyed it. Sadly, I will not be joining the group on 18th. I'm participating in the Mud Run at Camp Pendleton that day.

Jill

Okay, sorry this took so long, but it will be worth it. The ride date is October 18, 2008. I got some good input from Pegscraper and MsNascar for a great restaurant in Palm Desert so I changed the original I had in my route. I have pulled it all together and here are the details. We'll call this one the Palms to the Pines to the Sea (Salton that is) to Pie, yes good old Mom's Apple Pie as the topping on the ride so to speak.
The San Diego group will meet at the Starbucks on Del Lago at 7:00am with Kick Stands Up at 7:30am. We will then ride up to Banning and meet the Los Angeles/Riverside area group at the Starbucks in Banning at 9:00am. There is an Arco gas station right next door so we can gas up and then KSU at 9:30am. We ride from Banning up to Idylwild then back down to Palm desert on the Palms to Pines Highway. Once in Palm Desert, we stop on the 111 for lunch at the Elephant Bar and Restaurant. That will be at 11:00am, once I get a good head count, I will call ahead and make sure they are ready for us, KSU from here will be 12:30pm. We will then finish it up with a 150 mile run south along the Eastern edge of the Salton Sea then turn West in Brawley head back North and then West again to Banner Grade and into Julian for some good ole Mom's Apple Pie. We should arrive in Julian at around 3:10pm or so. We eat, say our goodbyes and then everyone heads home their own twisted little way.

I am posting a google map link below. I built the route originally in Mapsource and City Navigator 2009 so if anyone wants the files in .gpx/.mps/.gdb format email me for them at dave_lindberg at cox dot net.

Map:

OctoberPalmstoPinestoSeatoPieRid-1.jpg

Link:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=....460938&z=9

Locations:

Starbucks, 3440 Del Lago Blvd, Escondido, CA 92029; KSU 7:30am

Starbucks, 2270 W. Ramsey St., Banning, CA 92220 and Arco, 2228 W. Ramsey St., Banning, CA 92220; KSU 9:30am

Elephant Bar & Restaurant, 73833 Highway 111, Palm Desert, CA 92260; KSU 12:30pm

Mom's Pie House, 2119 Main St., Julian, CA 92036; KSU whenever you feel the urge to head home.

A little bit of refresher reading before this group ride would be recommended, the following links should be helpful and have been in several other group ride posts:

The Pace:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashbac...tsch/index.html

and a link to a follow-up article by the same author:

https://micapeak.com/info/thepace.html

Finally, here's a link to a great post by Andrew Knight from December, 2006:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=14966

Confirmed Riders:

Low Level FJR Pilot

Sorry can't make it:

Low level I just happened to be in Palm Springs that weekend riding with A Vstar, And VTX buddies of mine, would like to hook up for some of the ride and lunch.

Jorstin

Dave not sure if I can make it yet but send me the file anyway.

I guess we might be having a tech day at Slappys the next day right?

R

I'm in! But i'll be solo for this one (Janet will still be back east).

Thanks for putting this one together Dave!

B) I havent done this run in awhile. Its a great ride. Wish I could join in but me and the wife will be riding up in Montana and Canada, been planning this ride for a while.

Everyone have a safe and fun ride.

Dan.

Count pegscraper and MsNASCAR in on this ride. :yahoo:

We will be waiting for you in Temecula. You should reach us about 8am when you come up I-15. We will be waiting along the freeway, just past the 79 (Temecula Pkwy) onramp. Give us a shout on my cell if time or anything else changes. I know what it is like waiting patiently along the roadway. Like on hwy 154 last weekend. :glare:

Dave not sure if I can make it yet but send me the file anyway.I guess we might be having a tech day at Slappys the next day right?

R
Not sure that the tech day has been settled yet. I just want to avoid this being so close to the ride to Laughlin that it blows out a bunch more riders. Another option for this ride would be to move it to Columbus Day October 13th, but that would only work for those that get it as a Holiday. If that works better for everyone let me know, maybe we could change it. Should I add a poll to this post?

The 25th I have a friend coming in from WA, not sure if it's the day time or evening.

I may have to let this one go this time. I'll keep track of this post. :unsure:

Thanks for the invite, but I am not sure I can make it except on 18th, but that's the tech day.

Let me know what date you decide on, and I'll see if I can work around it.....

Tony :dribble:

I am always in for a ride. You just let me know when. I dont understand why we cant do it the day before tech day? Thats why we set it up on Sunday in the first place, so people could ride on the weekend.

Dam, that looks like a great ride.

But I'm out of town that weekend, taking my son up to the bay area.

Flying up there (not on the FJR but at 35,000' :closedeyes: ).

well maybe i will just find a hotel for the night saturday and be ready for the tech day.....

Opps scratch that i have to be at a bar-B-que Saturday afternoon so i can't do that......

Maybe i will come and do the pines to palms bit and blast home for "tea".

R

I'm going to opt out on this one because I don't think my butt would survive this. :blink:

I admit to not being a member of the Iron Butt society.

It does look like a good ride for the hardcore Forum members.

[SIZE=14pt]Okay, the 18th it stays! [/SIZE] :yahoo:

Based on the poll and a couple of emails I recieved, the "I don't care whens" and the "keep it's" have won out. So, go ahead and post up if you are going to ride this on the 18th. Tonyrob, you are more than welcome to ride with us as always. Slappy, let me know which list to add you to. I want to get the ride numbers solid by next Wednesday so I can get info from the Restaurant and get them a head count prior to that Saturday. I will probably contact them soon to make sure when they open and that they will be able to handle a group of roudy FJR riders. :fans: :dirol:

Looks like the moons finally aligned for me. I'm in (although I've said that before). Looking forward to meeting you all...

Latest posts