• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sold: 1998 Honda VFR800Fi Interceptor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
This wonderful bike has been SOLD!!!

007.jpg

1998 Honda VFR800Fi - A very clean example of the legendary 5th Generation of Honda VFRs. These are the ones you want. The pre-Y2k 5th Gens ('98 & '99) came with fuel injection but without cats or O2 sensors, so no lean surge issues.

Famous Gear driven cams produce an addictive gear whine, 6 speed close ratio gearbox, over 100 hp and only ~500 lbs makes it nimble for an ST bike.

FYI... It is definitely flame red all over. The sunlight was playing games with my digital camera and makes some of it look orange in places. It is NOT orange anywhere.

Key mods include:
HeliBars for a bit less forward lean (I also have the stock VFR bars)
Givi Touring Windshield (also have stock windshield)
Footpeg lowering blocks (easily removed)
Rick's Electrosport brand, MOSFET Regulator Rectifier upgrade for improved battery charging and reliability (I also have 2 of the stock ones, but they are a known weak point on these bikes)
Datel Digital Battery / Charging Voltmeter (installed in the right side of dash)
Y2k style VFR mirrors and SW Motech mirror wideners, so you can see more than your elbows behind you.
Second Look Tank Bra (paint is perfect underneath)

Battery tender cable (can also be used to power a tank bag)

Luggage:
Givi SR Trunk Mount and E450 top case
Givi Tubular Pannier Racks and E36 side cases
All hard cases are locking, and quick release.
The Pannier racks can be removed or installed in about 10 minutes with a couple of tools.
I also have a small soft tail pack that mounts quickly on the Trunk mount, which is nice for day rides.
Bags Connection tank ring is installed, but no tank bag as I have all of my electronics installed in mine and use it on my other bikes.
Have original Owners Manual and Factory Service manual.

This bike in not a show piece. It has been ridden well and has logged 30k carefree miles, which works out to less than 2k miles per year, pretty low for its age. But it has not been thrashed, or neglected, and is in very good operating condition It does have a few minor scrapes and scuffs on the plastics as might be expected on a bike of this age that wasn't a garage queen. The tank's paint is very good with no dings or scratches.

Mechanically it is extremely sound, and runs and rides perfectly. I just performed the 30k mile maintenance, including the (expensive) Valve Clearance Check and valves all are still in spec from the factory (I also did the first one back at 15k miles). Drained and refilled coolant, changed spark plugs with new NGK IX iridiums, as well as all normal oil change/ lubrication items. I've been running Mobil1 15W50 synthetic oil in it and it doesn't burn a drop between the 5k mile changes. Drive chain and sprockets are in good shape.

Tires are a set of Shinko Ravens and about 1/2 worn. Should last about another 4-5k miles. If a buyer wanted to buy some new rubber for the bike I'll gladly spoon them on and balance them for you for free.

It just passed the NH State Inspection with absolutely no problems

I would not hesitate to jump on this bike and make a cross country road trip with no reservations. It is as reliable a small Sport Touring bike as there is out there, and much sportier to ride than many of the bigger ones. But it is currently my 3rd bike in the garage and is not getting enough saddle time to justify keeping it hostage any longer.

Drop me a PM with your contact info, or any questions, and I'll respond promptly to any legitimate questions or offers. Bike can be shown most anytime as I work out of my home. Test rides only happening with cash in my hand.

Asking for $2650, firm, as shown. That price is more than fair. Would be willing to negotiate to a slightly lower price for including none of the hard luggage. But believe me, if you are intending on doing any touring, even if only for a weekend up in the mountains, you will want those cases.

I would also consider a trade for a capable dual sport in the 400-650cc range of equal value (especially the orange ones) but others would be considered.

Click here for a 35 photo slideshow of current photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am seriously trying to get my brother to buy it for himself. He lives and works here in Oregon. He is the lead Drug Coordinator and works for the suicide prevention for the US Army. I would have to figure out a way to ship it.

Carl

I can understand that. I ship large semi truck parts like engines across the country every day. If we were able to, the driver would come to your door, you would sign, they would load, and they leave. You would have the $ fully secured in your bank and you happy, before the shipping is scheduled.

It is kind of a long shot that my brother will even want to deal with all the shipping as well, so I am not holding my breath anyway. I will never ask you to hold it or anything till the $ was in your account.

Hell, I might try to have him just fly me out, and then I will ride it home for him.

"Yeah, I wouldn't be too excited about shipping it across country. There must be some similar bikes out your way."

There are some out here, but yours is a great deal for my brother with all the goodies and I trust forum members like you. Otherwise, I wouldn't even consider it.

@n2osx - OK if you handled everything from your end, and there was no crating or special prep required of me, I guess I'd be game. Fly and ride would also be fine of course. The Manchester, NH airport is a 10 minute drive from my house.

Let me know by PM if you have any questions about the bike or want to see any closeup photos of anything in particular.

No problem Fred. We'll see how this turns out. Someone will get an amazing bike for a great price.

Eventually I want to buy one for the wife. Yours would be perfect.

I would not hesitate to jump on this bike and make a cross country road trip with no reservations. It is as reliable a small Sport Touring bike as there is out there, and much sportier to ride than many of the bigger ones. But it is currently my 3rd bike in the garage and is not getting enough saddle time to justify keeping it hostage any longer.
For 10 years in a row, UK motorcyclists voted this bike, and it's antecedents "Best All-Round Motorcycle in the World".

They were not wrong. I loved mine and if I were looking for a bike this would not stay in Fred's shed for long ... about as long as it would take me to fly there, actually :D

Ha ha... Yes, I still have it CAJW. And I know that you've lusted after it for so long.
wink.png

This has been one of my biggest boomerang bikes. I originally bought the bike back in 2005, before I owned my '05 FJR. Rode it sporadically, and almost not at all once the Feejer came home.

You may remember that I decided to sell it back in 2011. I ended up trading it with another inmate from ADVriders, who lives in Oneonta, NY for his 2008 WR250X (he had converted to an "R"). After only a few rides I knew that the 250 was too small for my 6'2" 230 lb self. I listed the WR for sale and noticed that the guy from Oneonta also had the VFR back up for sale, so I contacted him and we traded back. He had taken the bike on his bucket list cross country tour and had got that out of his system. And I missed the Viffer.

Unfortunately, NY guy sold off 2 of the best accessories I had put on it: the Staintune high pipe and the Sargent Worldsport seat. But the bike was otherwise still in good shape although several thousand miles more experienced. Bike came home and then my son decided that the Aprilia Pegaso 650 that he had bought in Vermont (another of my boomerang bikes) was not so good for 2 up travel, so he took the VFR to Vermont with him for a while, (and I got the Pegaso back).

A year or so later I bought my brand new 2014 FJR, and son decided that he'd like to upgrade his VFR to the '05 FJR, so the little Viffer came back home again.

I do love riding this bike a lot, and will be sorry (again) to see it go, but while I love riding it, my out of shape old man's body pays the price for it the next day. So instead, it generally sits in favor of the FJR or Vstrom, both of which have better old man ergos.

This bike deserves to go somewhere that the owner will use it like it was made to be used.